My wallet stinks. Literallly.

LVoer_Girl

May 12, 2014
I got a sweet monogram Zippy wallet in Rose Indien back in March. It smells of plastic. My husband said it smells like the injection mold plastic they use in the shop. I was wondering - is the leather coated with plastic? Is that how they got the shimmer into the wallet? What to do about the smell?

I called the 1-866 number and they told me to make sure that I am not storing my stuff in boxes (which I was, so I hurried and took everything out of its box)

Have you had any problems with vernis leather smelling? What should I do about the smell?

when i received a vernis SLG (amarante business card holder) that i ordered on line from LV website the item had that strong smell of plastic..i checked the date code and i saw that my item was recently made about 2-3 weeks ago..i let it air out and now the smell has completely gone but at first it kinda scared me..

vernis is patent leather. patent leather does have a plastic coating. that's what makes it shiny.

I think companies *might* have changed the process in which they make patent leather, but i know that's how it used to be done.

Oh noooo. Luckily I have never had a plastic smell on any of my Vernis items. I do store my Zippy Wallets in their dust bag and box... and still no problem. I think it must have had to do with it being produced so recently prior to purchase.

I hope so anyway because I have all of my boxes labeled with their names so I don't forget what I have. :smile:

Oh noooo. Luckily I have never had a plastic smell on any of my Vernis items. I do store my Zippy Wallets in their dust bag and box... and still no problem. I think it must have had to do with it being produced so recently prior to purchase.

I hope so anyway because I have all of my boxes labeled with their names so I don't forget what I have. :smile:

The 1-866 number told me never store the items, particularly leather, in the box because it will dry it out and compromise the integrity of the materials used...I called them at 11 pm my time (which is like 9 pm on the west coast) freaking out because the wallet just smelled really bad. So, there I was at 11 pm tearing everything out of its box and making space for it in my closet :smile:

The 1-866 number told me never store the items, particularly leather, in the box because it will dry it out and compromise the integrity of the materials used...I called them at 11 pm my time (which is like 9 pm on the west coast) freaking out because the wallet just smelled really bad. So, there I was at 11 pm tearing everything out of its box and making space for it in my closet :smile:

They say this but I always have and I've never had any problems! I only do it for my SLG's though. Hope the smell goes away after a bit and with use!

I got a sweet monogram Zippy wallet in Rose Indien back in March. It smells of plastic. My husband said it smells like the injection mold plastic they use in the shop. I was wondering - is the leather coated with plastic? Is that how they got the shimmer into the wallet? What to do about the smell?

I called the 1-866 number and they told me to make sure that I am not storing my stuff in boxes (which I was, so I hurried and took everything out of its box)

Have you had any problems with vernis leather smelling? What should I do about the smell?

I can't remember what item I bought that smelled like plastic - but a canvas item I bought like a year ago definitely smelled like plastic

Well, it's patent leather and it does have a plastic coating, so that's not entirely surprising - but I've never noticed a smell on either of my Vernis pieces. Maybe it will disappear over time. I'd follow that SA's advice about not storing your items in boxes. The boxes LV packages items in are gift/presentation boxes, not storage boxes, and these items do need to be able to 'breathe'. You can definitely run into problems with leather drying out or cracking if they're not exposed to air for extended periods of time.

I only have one vernis item -- a Pomme Cles -- and it didn't smell when I bought it. I store all of my slgs in their boxes (but not my bags!) because it just seems logical and they look nice all stacked up, lol!

I will say that I bought an Artsy that had a strong odor a couple of months ago, and my first thought was that it must have been very newly made, because I have bought many LV items of different materials and never had this issue. Sure enough, within 48 hours out of the box, there was zero odor. Food for thought!