Advice on first LV bag?!

Okay so I am planning to purchase my first LV handbag, a Damier Ebene Speedy 30. I have been hesitating for a while because I don't want to impulse purchase and I have some questions about it that I think you lovely TPF users can help with.

1. I have heard things about quality going down with LV's products in recent years. Are Speedys still worth the investment?
2. The price increases are getting a bit absurd IMO. I was looking at Speedys at the top of the year, then decided I would revisit the purchase once the weather broke (since it was such a rough winter weather-wise). With the price increases I'm not sure if I want to spend $1K on a CANVAS bag. Agree/disagree? Are other styles a better choice to consider?
3. I've considered getting the Speedy B in DE because although I LOVE top handles, it would be nice to have the strap option once in a while. Thoughts on springing for the Speedy B as opposed to the Speedy? It's not the price itself that bothers me, but more that the price increase to purchase a Speedy B seems a bit inflated when the only real difference is adding a strap -- unless I'm missing some other feature(s) of the Speedy B. Would love to hear from people who were on the fence as well and/or own both.

Ahh, thanks for your help in advance! Like I said, this would be my first Louis bag, so I'd love to hear the opinions of you devoted LV customers :smile:

Okay so I am planning to purchase my first LV handbag, a Damier Ebene Speedy 30. I have been hesitating for a while because I don't want to impulse purchase and I have some questions about it that I think you lovely TPF users can help with.

1. I have heard things about quality going down with LV's products in recent years. Are Speedys still worth the investment?
2. The price increases are getting a bit absurd IMO. I was looking at Speedys at the top of the year, then decided I would revisit the purchase once the weather broke (since it was such a rough winter weather-wise). With the price increases I'm not sure if I want to spend $1K on a CANVAS bag. Agree/disagree? Are other styles a better choice to consider?
3. I've considered getting the Speedy B in DE because although I LOVE top handles, it would be nice to have the strap option once in a while. Thoughts on springing for the Speedy B as opposed to the Speedy? It's not the price itself that bothers me, but more that the price increase to purchase a Speedy B seems a bit inflated when the only real difference is adding a strap -- unless I'm missing some other feature(s) of the Speedy B. Would love to hear from people who were on the fence as well and/or own both.

Ahh, thanks for your help in advance! Like I said, this would be my first Louis bag, so I'd love to hear the opinions of you devoted LV customers :smile:

Hi! I had a classic mono speedy and didn't like that it didn't have any straps. I ended up selling it and now have a de speedy b and some empreinte speedy B's...I don't think I could ever go back to a classic speedy unless it was LE . I do have some LE speedys that I don't use often because I like having the option of a strap..In my opinion, I would spend a little more and get a speedy b, that was you have the strap option to carry crossbody or on the shoulder...if you want to buy new, I'd do it now before they have another price increase!! There are lots of other LV styles to choose from but I think the speedy is an iconic LV bag..

Thanks for your input :smile: did you have any quality/defect issues with your DE Speedy B?

And any idea as to when the prices will be raised again? I definitely plan on buying new so I guess I better buy before the next price hike!

The Speedy B DE is a wonderful first bag choice. The Damier Ebene was my first LV print after all it is Louis Vuitton original print and that is what I base my choice on. I think the quality is just fine on the bags but I do think you need to inspect you bag thoroughly before you leave the store. As far as cracking of leather and such I think it varies really and the stories I have heard LV stood behind there product all the times. I have heard of issues with the Portobello which is my first bag but I have had none. But I also have several bags and rotate often if not every day. Do be aware that the canvas on the Speedy B is a tad thinner than the regular Speedy - from what I am told it is to accommodate the straps and cross body of the bag. I have both the regular Speedy and the B. As Far as the cost of the bag that is going to have to be a personal preference as this is a LV lovers sight so. . .well enough said. I just suggested to someone else to spend an hour or so in the store looking and put some stuff inside - you know what you would usually carry to get a feel. Maybe even throw some other bags in there to look at. Make sure you let the SA know it's your first so they can explain things to you. Do not be afraid to spend some time in there and ask questions because you want to be sure and happy with your purchase especially for this amount of money. Good luck my dear and make sure you share once you purchase!

I will add the Damier Ebene print is a very care free bag for LV first timer!

Be Blessed MoNikki

Last edited:
I still love LV and am impressed with the customer service and response to quality issues. I also love my speedies (mono 25, mono 30, and DE speedy). However, they were all purchased before the speedy B option existed lol. They have sentimental value to me (they were my firsts) so I don't want to sell them but if I had a time machine - I would get them all as speedy B's. Such a GREAT option!

I really say neverfull is a better first bag choice than speedy. I also love the Palermo pm but it's a bit pricier than both of those. Check out all your options before deciding on the bag everyone has.

My first lv bag was a speedy 30 however the question is , how fictional do u want ur bag to be,, do u want to throw it over the shoulder or do u want to keep it on ur wrist ? That's the debate which made me get another bag after I got tired of my speedy :smile: hope this helps

Thanks for the help everyone!! I am in fact worried about the canvas of the Speedy B being thinner than the canvas on the standard Speedy because I plan to make whichever bag I purchase one of my "everyday bags," so it has to hold up with ample use.

And I love the tips about going into the store and taking some time to give everything a look, but the closet LV store to me is a whole 2 hours away!!! So I wasn't planning to go in until I had my mind made up, but now I'm thinking twice about waiting until then. Anyone else have the problem of a super far boutique? I don't really want to order online for my first purchase...

I really say neverfull is a better first bag choice than speedy. I also love the Palermo pm but it's a bit pricier than both of those. Check out all your options before deciding on the bag everyone has.

I do like the Neverfull style a lot, but I don't like that it doesn't have a zipper for security of your items and privacy. They're definitely nice, but I need to know that I can zip up my bag and not have to be conscious of things falling out easily. If I like my Speedy or Speedy B I'd definitely consider a Neverfull, but perhaps after I purchase an Alma first.

Ahh, I'm accumulating quite the LV shopping list!

My first lv bag was a speedy 30 however the question is , how fictional do u want ur bag to be,, do u want to throw it over the shoulder or do u want to keep it on ur wrist ? That's the debate which made me get another bag after I got tired of my speedy :smile: hope this helps

Well, I love top handles -- most of the handbags I own are top handles, so I don't think it would bother me THAT much. I just like the option of the strap of the Speedy B so that times when I don't feel like carrying a top handle I can still wear it crossbody. So basically I am almost certain I'd be fine with a normal Speedy, but he option to carry it crossbody or on my shoulder every now and then would be nice. Is there an option to just purchase a strap for my Speedy separately down the line?

I do like the Neverfull style a lot, but I don't like that it doesn't have a zipper for security of your items and privacy. They're definitely nice, but I need to know that I can zip up my bag and not have to be conscious of things falling out easily. If I like my Speedy or Speedy B I'd definitely consider a Neverfull, but perhaps after I purchase an Alma first.

Ahh, I'm accumulating quite the LV shopping list!

I had a DE NF and like you didn't like that it didn't have a zipper. It was a great bag but once the canvas loosened up it wouldn't cinch anymore and I didn't like it so I sold it...the alma is a great choice too although more structured than the DE speedy b...it really depends on what you want so like others said, if you can, try them on at the store..Bags I thought I loved, once I tried them on in the store found they didn't work for me or didn't like as much.....I have the DE alma pm and bought a strap for it so now it can be worn cross body but it will be more structured wearing than the speedy b....

My first bag was the Speedy B and I love it!!! The options to wear it are great - especially for me since I have kids.

Since it was my first LV - I can't comment on the quality prior but I am happy with the quality on it and that it will always be an iconic bag. :smile: Yes, the price increases are getting to be a bit much.

Well, I love top handles -- most of the handbags I own are top handles, so I don't think it would bother me THAT much. I just like the option of the strap of the Speedy B so that times when I don't feel like carrying a top handle I can still wear it crossbody. So basically I am almost certain I'd be fine with a normal Speedy, but he option to carry it crossbody or on my shoulder every now and then would be nice. Is there an option to just purchase a strap for my Speedy separately down the line?

There is an option to buy the strap to use but they do not recommend it as it could pull on the handles and possible ruin the bag since the classic speedy is really not made to use with the strap......I would definitely pay a little more for the speedy b or maybe look at some tote bags....