Plume or Drag? Vote and thought please.

Plume or Drag - vote your fave

• Plume 32

• Drag 32

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fabfashion

O.G.
Feb 18, 2010
After much research on the forum and soul searching :P, I think I'd like to get either a 32 Plume and a 32 Drag as my next bag. At this time, I'd like something with a bit more structure, can be hand carried as well as shoulder carried if I need my hands free (short straps under the arm, not longer strap like a kelly or bolide). I think either bag will go with my clothing which is usually business casual, sometimes blazers or suits for meetings, and dressy casual on weekends. I've looked into a toolbox, jypsiere and berline and while I'd like to get all of them at some point, I think a Plume or a Drag will fill my need at this point in time.

So if the color and leather are the same for both bags so they don't influence the decision, which bag do you suggest? Good for day to day (I drive) and traveling when needed. Can be left open for easy access which I think both can be. Is one lighter weight than the other? I think the shoulder straps drop is about the same but I hope the strap doesn't plop down a lot. Thoughts and feedback please. I've never tried/seen one IRL as I don't believe either is easily found in H boutique these days.

Lastly, are they similar enough that it'd be too close to get both--one now and one down the road?

The straps on the Drag do not plop down, so its aesthetic might be better for you. You'll certainly need the 32cm or larger to go over the shoulder, though, and it won't likely go over a coat . . .

Oooh, difficult choice! Both are lovely bags and I have to say they are different enough to own both. I have both but my vintage Drag is a 30. My observations are as follows:

1. volume: the shape of the Plume allows more capacity (rectangular and not tapered towards the top) plus the same rules for the retourne/sellier construction applies here. Drag is sellier equivalent so more structured/rigid. I think the Plume would still hold slightly more.
2. Weight: I believe there's hardly any difference if the leathers are the same for both bags - mine are both very light (chevre and box)
3. Access & Security: because the zip only goes from one side to the other (unlike the Victoria for example), it can be a bit fiddly to open in a hurry whearas the Drag you can leave the buckles undone and simply lift the flap. I personally don't feel safe leaving the zip open enough on the Plume to easily get in and out of because there is no zip inner pocket to keep my wallet in safely but you may feel ok about that. The Drag has zip pocket across the back wall (bigger than a B) which I love!
3. Carrying: the straps on the Plume feel thinner and are more flexible than the sturdier straps on the Drag. I can shoulder carry my Plume over a light jacket but not the Drag. I think you've seen how beat up some Plumes can get and the straps look like they've stretched to me. I don't think that would ever happen with a Drag to the same degree. For travel I use the Plume over the Drag because I can clip on a canvas strap to be hands free which is important to me. The handles lie flat down the sides which they cannot do on the Drag.
4. Style: I love both, they can be dressed up or down and go anywhere in my humble opinion!

My feeling based on your needs is a Plume first then a Drag if you still love it! Let me know if you'd like comparison shots - I'd be more than happy to provide - HTH! Best of luck deciding!

i love the plume its simplicity just makes me fall in love !!!!!!!!!

antheakate and birkel, thank you for your input! I love the look of the plume! It's so simple yet elegant. Understated yet practical. H simplicity at its best. :smile: I'd tried on a victoria at the store but it's a bit more slouchy for me and I'm not keen about the canvas lining. So between victoria and plume, my heart went to plume hands down. Then I saw the drag bag thread on this forum and I was like...ooooh that's a pretty looking bag. Hence, the dilemma. They're both so elegant, it's so hard to decide. DH, however, doesn't care much for the plume. He thinks plume is too boxy and understated. I should show him some action pics from the forum and also those with twillies. I'm not listening to him much though:giggles: and rather trust my lovely ladies' input. :P

The straps on the Drag do not plop down, so its aesthetic might be better for you. You'll certainly need the 32cm or larger to go over the shoulder, though, and it won't likely go over a coat . . .

Thanks for your input, arabesques! I have a Prada bag from years ago that is similar to a Plume elan but with slightly longer straps that can only be carried as a shoulder bag. The outside strap flopped ALL the time and it was so annoying! It can't be carried as a handbag so it's been in a closet all this time. (I'm saving all these unused bags for my girls when they grow up :biggrin:. I honestly don't know what I'd have done with my bags if I'd ended up with twin boys!).

I know both the plume and drag are supposed to be handbags, I just want to have an option to be able to carry it on the shoulder just in case. Now it'd be splendid if it can be shoulder carried most of the time but I'm not too greedy. ;) As for size, the 37 drag may be too big for me and may end up looking like a briefcase as I'm only 5'1".

Decision. Decision.

Take both !
Both are outrageously underpriced on the second hand market.

Both can be worn on your shoulder if your (arm+ sleeve) are thin enough.

Both can be found in very nice leathers...

Oooh, difficult choice! Both are lovely bags and I have to say they are different enough to own both. I have both but my vintage Drag is a 30. My observations are as follows:

1. volume: the shape of the Plume allows more capacity (rectangular and not tapered towards the top) plus the same rules for the retourne/sellier construction applies here. Drag is sellier equivalent so more structured/rigid. I think the Plume would still hold slightly more.
2. Weight: I believe there's hardly any difference if the leathers are the same for both bags - mine are both very light (chevre and box)
3. Access & Security: because the zip only goes from one side to the other (unlike the Victoria for example), it can be a bit fiddly to open in a hurry whearas the Drag you can leave the buckles undone and simply lift the flap. I personally don't feel safe leaving the zip open enough on the Plume to easily get in and out of because there is no zip inner pocket to keep my wallet in safely but you may feel ok about that. The Drag has zip pocket across the back wall (bigger than a B) which I love!
3. Carrying: the straps on the Plume feel thinner and are more flexible than the sturdier straps on the Drag. I can shoulder carry my Plume over a light jacket but not the Drag. I think you've seen how beat up some Plumes can get and the straps look like they've stretched to me. I don't think that would ever happen with a Drag to the same degree. For travel I use the Plume over the Drag because I can clip on a canvas strap to be hands free which is important to me. The handles lie flat down the sides which they cannot do on the Drag.
4. Style: I love both, they can be dressed up or down and go anywhere in my humble opinion!

My feeling based on your needs is a Plume first then a Drag if you still love it! Let me know if you'd like comparison shots - I'd be more than happy to provide - HTH! Best of luck deciding!

Oh Couture Coco, you're such an enabler! :biggrin: Yes, it'd be fantastic to own both. I'm so jealous you already have both styles!

Thank you for the sellier/drag comparison, that gives me a good visual. Does that mean it's hard to get in and out of the drag? I know I don't use my K much because it's hard for me to quickly get in & out although I know some other members find it a cinch. I think I saw one of the action pics with the drag's flap tucked inside the bag like the birkin--that would work for me. Have you used it that way before?

I think I'm okay with leaving the plume's zippers open. I usually do that only when I have the bag in my car while driving or at my office. I have a So Kelly which is wide open at the top so I'm used to it. I just want to make sure this next bag can be completely close for when I go on trips so things don't fall off or people can help themselves. ;)

I'd love comparison shots (and I'd love to see your bags!). If it's not too much to ask, could you please put them side by side for size comparison and with them being handheld vs shoulder carried. I'd very much appreciate seeing them in action. :smile:

Take both !
Both are outrageously underpriced on the second hand market.

Both can be worn on your shoulder if your (arm+ sleeve) are thin enough.

Both can be found in very nice leathers...

perlerare! You read my mind! I'm beginning to lean towards that direction but can only get one first and then when the sticker shock wears off (for DH because I've been buying and buying for the last 6 months and don't want to be sent to Ban Islands), may be I'll get the other one. :graucho:

At this point I'm just wondering if I am to get only one, which one I should get. They're both gorgeous! I'm hoping Couture Coco would be kind enough to post pics of her drag and plume bags from comparison.

perlerare! You read my mind! I'm beginning to lean towards that direction but can only get one first and then when the sticker shock wears off (for DH because I've been buying and buying for the last 6 months and don't want to be sent to Ban Islands), may be I'll get the other one. :graucho:

At this point I'm just wondering if I am to get only one, which one I should get. They're both gorgeous! I'm hoping Couture Coco would be kind enough to post pics of her drag and plume bags from comparison.

Get the one that you like when you find it. Let it make your heart sing !

Oh Couture Coco, you're such an enabler! :biggrin: Yes, it'd be fantastic to own both. I'm so jealous you already have both styles!

Thank you for the sellier/drag comparison, that gives me a good visual. Does that mean it's hard to get in and out of the drag? I know I don't use my K much because it's hard for me to quickly get in & out although I know some other members find it a cinch. I think I saw one of the action pics with the drag's flap tucked inside the bag like the birkin--that would work for me. Have you used it that way before?

I think I'm okay with leaving the plume's zippers open. I usually do that only when I have the bag in my car while driving or at my office. I have a So Kelly which is wide open at the top so I'm used to it. I just want to make sure this next bag can be completely close for when I go on trips so things don't fall off or people can help themselves. ;)

I'd love comparison shots (and I'd love to see your bags!). If it's not too much to ask, could you please put them side by side for size comparison and with them being handheld vs shoulder carried. I'd very much appreciate seeing them in action. :smile:

Your welcome! All I do is lift the flap up on the Drag as I most often don't clip it closed, so it's like a Birkin in that respect - the handles serve to anchor the flap a bit because of the grooves. (I'm one of those people who finds getting in and out of the Ks really easy!). I have not used the Drag with the flap inside like some people do with their Bs as you mention. The flap on the Drag is more rigid than on a B because it's one piece from the back and has to keep its curved shape over wheareas there is a join across on the B.
It's night time where I am so will wait until daylight to take the photos for you - it won't be an exact comparion as my Drag is a 30cm but hopefully you will still get an idea. Oh I'm a couple of inches shorter than you :smile:

Your welcome! All I do is lift the flap up on the Drag as I most often don't clip it closed, so it's like a Birkin in that respect - the handles serve to anchor the flap a bit because of the grooves. (I'm one of those people who finds getting in and out of the Ks really easy!). I have not used the Drag with the flap inside like some people do with their Bs as you mention. The flap on the Drag is more rigid than on a B because it's one piece from the back and has to keep its curved shape over wheareas there is a join across on the B.
It's night time where I am so will wait until daylight to take the photos for you - it won't be an exact comparion as my Drag is a 30cm but hopefully you will still get an idea. Oh I'm a couple of inches shorter than you :smile:

Thanks for the clarification, CC. I wouldn't want to risk creasing the flap. I'll have to try it out if I ever get my hand on a drag. :biggrin:

Have a good night and happy H dreams! :smile: