My First Bottega Bag

Sep 16, 2008
In 2002 Tomas Maier put out his first Bottega collection. This included the Veneta hobo in chocolate brown, licorice black, sand and white for $980 in the med size. And the Cabat tote in brown or black for $2800. I still have the article that shows these bags from the Saks catalog.

When I opened that catalog and saw the sand Veneta I was in love and determined to find one.
These bags were sold in 4 Saks stores and the only one that had the light sand color was San Francisco. I had them ship it to me in Kentucky. I still use that bag today and it's still one of my favorites. I now have about 15 bags and have given 6 more to my daughters. I also have some cosmetic bags and key rings. BV will always be my favorite bags.

In 2002 Tomas Maier put out his first Bottega collection. This included the Veneta hobo in chocolate brown, licorice black, sand and white for $980 in the med size. And the Cabat tote in brown or black for $2800. I still have the article that shows these bags from the Saks catalog.

When I opened that catalog and saw the sand Veneta I was in love and determined to find one.
These bags were sold in 4 Saks stores and the only one that had the light sand color was San Francisco. I had them ship it to me in Kentucky. I still use that bag today and it's still one of my favorites. I now have about 15 bags and have given 6 more to my daughters. I also have some cosmetic bags and key rings. BV will always be my favorite bags.
great story. thanks for sharing.

Lovely story! So smart of you to keep the article, too - gives the story even more meaning, and a lovely testament to the lasting beauty of Bottega Veneta.

It is incredible how 12 years in, the styles Tomas puts out are still relevant and fashionable while other major fashion labels churn out contemporary styles that are rapidly outdating themselves.

Lovely story! So smart of you to keep the article, too - gives the story even more meaning, and a lovely testament to the lasting beauty of Bottega Veneta.
I have articles on BV and Tomas from over the years. I keep them in a scrapbook and love to go back and read them again. Both of my Veneta's from the 02 collection have the softest leather - much softer than the newer bags. I often wondered if the leather was different then or if they just improve over time.

That is a lovely story. I don't have a lot of BV (I actually only have one worn briefcase), but I do appreciate the brands ability to stand the wear of time. It seems like it's one of the gems left in a marketplace littered with garbage. I love how you still have affection for it after all those years too. That shows you have a great deal of loyalty, which I think is great in consumers!

It's a great testament to BV's craftsmanship that your bags have held up so well. I've also found that my BVs still look beautiful after years of use while my other brands bags (disappointingly) show wear much quicker.

Hope you continue to enjoy your BV for many more years. :smile: