Affair straps, really strange... (Help! Need advice!)

la6

O.G.
Sep 4, 2008
So I ordered an Affair bag from Zappos in the color Tortora (it's a beige-y lavender.) Unfortunately, when it arrived, the one side of the strap looked terrible in places... the color is much darker on the back side- it has some sort of paint or coating. However the paint was peeling and blotchy in a couple areas! I called Zappos immediately and they quickly sent another bag for an exchange. The 2nd one just got here, and it has different straps! The back side of the 2nd straps is a lighter color, tan, with a different type of "coating" apparently. It kind of feels... STICKY! I don't know how else to describe.

I own another Affair from a few years ago so I pulled it out to compare, and the straps are just regular. The back side of them is clearly just the unfinished side of the leather, soft, the same color.

What happened to the quality of these bags?!? Does anyone else own an Affair with coated straps? I am sooo disappointed because this color is my DREAM color, and the larger Affair is getting harder to find! So my main question is.... should I keep the 2nd one anyways and not let the strap's texture or color bother me? I'm not really a picky person but I just thought this was so odd, so I had to share!

Pics of #1, #2, then compared:

Maybe it is the light in the pictures but I'm confused which strap belongs to which bag?

Is your old bag dark? And the new bag is tan in the back but sticky? Maybe it is a protective coating? Raw leather can wear out pretty quickly, so maybe they are just hoping it will last longer this way?

Maybe it is the light in the pictures but I'm confused which strap belongs to which bag?

Is your old bag dark? And the new bag is tan in the back but sticky? Maybe it is a protective coating? Raw leather can wear out pretty quickly, so maybe they are just hoping it will last longer this way?

Yes, the 1st bag I received is pictured in the first 3 photos with the dark strap. The second one has the lighter tan straps. I was thinking the same thing, that they probably coated it for protection. I just don't know if the two-toned straps looks OK:shucks: I'm so undecided, not sure yet if I should just send both of them back.

am i the only one who is lost? what coating? which photo shows the back side of the strap of your Tortora?
as i observe, the back side should be in light brown as same for the tassel for other bags in Tortora.