The Mysterious Case Of Casey Kasem

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Judge Expresses Concerns Over Casey Kasem's Safety

by The Associated Press
May 12, 2014 3:43 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge on Monday ordered an investigation into the whereabouts of Casey Kasem after an attorney for the ailing radio personality's wife said the former "Top 40" host had been removed from the country.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Daniel S. Murphy ordered a court investigator and adult protective services to find out where Kasem is being treated and report back to the court. Kasem, 82, suffers from advanced Parkinson's disease, can no longer speak and has been in various medical facilities chosen by his wife, Jean Kasem.

Casey Kasem's children have complained that they have been unable to see their father in accordance with an agreement with their stepmother. Daughter Kerri Kasem had sought a temporary conservatorship and was appointed her father's temporary caretaker on Monday. Her attorney, Troy Martin, said the family believes the entertainer has been taken to an Indian reservation in Washington state.

Murphy's order came after Craig Marcus, an attorney who appeared on Jean Kasem's behalf at Monday's hearing, said he did not know where the radio personality was but knew that he had been removed from the country.

"I have no idea where he is," Marcus said.

The revelation brought stunned protests from Murphy and two of Casey Kasem's daughters, two of the entertainer's three children from a previous marriage.

"Your statements concern me even more," the judge told Marcus, who declined to comment after the hearing.

Marcus said in court that Jean Kasem had every right to move her husband as she saw fit.

Murphy appointed a doctor to look into Casey Kasem's care and ordered a court-appointed attorney to find out his whereabouts as soon as possible.

Casey Kasem gained fame with his radio music countdown shows, "American Top 40" and "Casey's Top 40," and was the voice of Shaggy in the cartoon "Scooby Doo."

As temporary conservator, Kerri Kasem will have access to her father's medical records and other reports that have previously been sealed by court order.

Kerri Kasem's case is the second one opened by one of the former host's children to try to gain access to their father and have some oversight over his care. A previous case by daughter Julie Kasem was dismissed after she reached a settlement with her stepmother, but the daughter said Monday that agreement has been breached.

In a court filing last week, Kerri Kasem's attorneys wrote that the entertainer has been repeatedly moved without warning and his children have been unable to see him. The complaint accused Jean Kasem of elder abuse by isolating her husband from his family.

"We've been troubled for a long time," Kerri Kasem said after Monday's court hearing. She said Murphy's orders will ensure that the truth about her father's care comes out.

"Justice has been served today," she said.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=311898940

Wow. I haven't been following him, but I heard something on the radio this am... Some code word was "Kasem," as an "ode to finding the missing Casey Kasem." OKAY so that was a bad description. Lol I was flipping through radio stations and only heard bits and pieces! AAAANYWAYS. Now I feel like **** because I thought they were playing a silly radio game! 😔 I had no idea about his health or that he was what, 82?!?! 😮 like I said, I don't follow him. But, I have listened to his show in the past. I guess I just didn't realize that this is serious. 😟

^ he hasn't changed, could be relatively recent, like past few years.
I've been following his kid's story about Jean keeping him away from them for a long time. It's really sad :sad:

I hope they find him soon, alive and well. I spent many hours in the early 80s listening to his top 40 countdown show. There are stations that still replay those old shows on the weekends.

Loved those long-distance dedications!

Casey Kasem's daughter: I saw him last week and it was 'wonderful'

casey%20kasem%20reuters.JPG

Casey Kasem poses with his Radio Icon Award at the 2003 Radio Music Awards, at the Aladdin Theatre for the Performing Arts in Las Vegas, Nevada, October 27, 2003.REUTERS
Next
As a court-ordered investigator tries to track down ailing radio personality Casey Kasem, his daughter spoke with Closer Weekly, telling the publication she saw her father last week and then his wife abruptly moved him to an unknown location.

Kerri Kasem said she and sister Julie saw their father on on May 6 with the help of an attorney.

“They let me and my sister in to see him and it was a wonderful visit. My dad said, ‘I love you,’” she said. “Dad was animated. He was smiling. He moved his arms a little bit. He knew we were there.

“When we went to leave, we said, ‘Dad, we’ll be back soon. We’ll be back soon.’ That’s when he looked up at us and was able to say the word, ‘When?’ We said, ‘Dad, as soon as we can.’”

Kerri Kasem said after the visit, his wife Jean Kasem moved the former radio host in the middle of the night.

“She had no authority as a healthcare agent or his wife to move him out of the facility without a doctor's consent,” Kerri Kasem's attorney, Martha Patterson, told Closer. “I cannot imagine someone in his condition being carried out without proper medical equipment.”

Kasem, 82, suffers from Lewy Body disease, according to a rep for his family, can no longer speak and has been in various medical facilities chosen by his wife.

Casey Kasem's children have complained that they have been unable to see their father in accordance with an agreement with their stepmother. Daughter Kerri Kasem had sought a temporary conservatorship and was appointed her father's temporary caretaker on Monday. Her attorney, Troy Martin, said the family believes the entertainer has been taken to an Indian reservation in Washington state.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...hter-saw-him-last-week-and-it-was-wonderful/#

And before this current missing event

Casey Kasem's daughter Kerri invited his fans to hold a vigil outside of his hospital on his 82nd birthday on April 27.

Happy Birthday, Casey Kasem. The legendary radio personality spent his 82nd birthday at the Berkley East Convalescent Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif. on Sunday, April 27, but his daughter Kerri Kasem remained determined that he wouldn't be alone for the milestone.

On her Facebook page, Kerri wrote, "I know this is short notice but it’s my Dad’s birthday this Sunday and we are having a birthday vigil for him from 6pm to 7pm outside of the convalescent home where he is being kept away from all who love him. Please help my family, my Dad’s friends and the human rights group Answer (www.AnswerLA.org) celebrate my incredible father’s 82nd birthday! If my father had an impact on your life in any way please come and show your support."

Kerri, 35, and her siblings Julie and Mike (Kasem's children from first wife Linda Myers) have been sparring with the legendary radio host's current wife Jean Kasem, who they claim has kept them from their father while he battles Parkinson's disease.

The feud entered the public spotlight back in Oct. 2013 when Casey's children first spoke out about not getting to see their father for months.

"We don't understand. Why would you stop your husband from seeing his children, his brother, his friends and family? Why?" Kerri told to Us Weekly in October. "It's been really difficult, but I am hoping she comes out and says, you know, 'I'm sorry. Of course you can see your dad.' But we've heard nothing from her. Nothing. So our next step is legal action."

After filing for conservatorship from their stepmom later that month, Casey's oldest daughter Julie reached a settlement with Jean in December.

"We love my father and my father loves us," Kerri told Us back in October. "We don't want his money, we don't want his estate, we don't want anything from her. All we want is to see our dad...We just want to see our dad and to love him and take care of him before he dies."

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...lds-vigil-82nd-birthday-2014284#ixzz31eyPnG00