Worth the risk?

ferrylights

Mar 12, 2014
Hello, this is the first time I've ventured into the eBay part of the forum, and I am amazed by all the useful info :smile:
This might be a bit long, apologies in advance!

So I've had my eye on a specific Aspinal bag that never really pops up on eBay, until a few days ago, much to my surprise. The person selling the bag has only 1 feedback as a buyer, and has opened their account quite recently (late March 2014). They've used a stock photo of the bag from the website, and their description wasn't so great ("Nice woman bag from ASPINAL of LONDON with more then £150 of discount (PERFECT PRICE)")

I messaged them a few days ago, and didn't hear back until today. When I looked at the message, they had provided me with three photos of the actual bag they are selling, but the listing had been ended prematurely.

I asked them what happened, and they said they would re-list, and did so. So the bag is now re-listed, and the price is pretty phenomenal (£200 buy it now, when it retails £495).

I've had bad luck in the past when I bought a bag from a trusted seller, and paid for tracked shipping and they sent it "via regular post" and it never showed up, which means I lost out on the bag and the poor buyer on their money. It was not a great situation for anybody.

This listing specifies that they will ship it for free via royal mail. I've messaged them further asking if they can send it first class with a tracking number, and I'll pay. They responded saying not a problem.
Is there a way I can make sure they do this, or do they have to edit their original listing postage option?

Does this just seem like too much of a risk to undertake, and I should forget about it?

I don't know what the eBay experts will say, but I myself would steer clear of this listing from a new-ish seller who basically had no description, used only a stock photo, and is selling the bag at a very low price.

I don't know what the eBay experts will say, but I myself would steer clear of this listing from a new-ish seller who basically had no description, used only a stock photo, and is selling the bag at a very low price.
I totally agree with you, I'm only uncertain just because they sent me pictures of the bag in a home setting in good condition via eBay messages makes me kind of slightly sway towards buying it.
I just noticed they put another Aspinal bag up for sale, same description w/ stock pics. :sad:

I totally agree with you, I'm only uncertain just because they sent me pictures of the bag in a home setting in good condition via eBay messages makes me kind of slightly sway towards buying it.
I just noticed they put another Aspinal bag up for sale, same description w/ stock pics. :sad:

Did you run google search for the pictures sent by the seller?

I would stay away, I know as a new seller you're hoping someone will trust you and give you the benefit of the doubt but also as a seller I made sure my 1st item for sale had clear pictures, no stock photos, A detailed description and everything. So I cant say that I would be willing to take the risk on a stock photo, why not just provide the actual photos in the listing?

Because there are so many untrustworthy sellers out there, I would suggest to do your due diligence as a seller and as a buyer. If you're an honest seller, you'd post all pics required and be glad to assist any potential buyers with their questions since you have nothing to hide. If you're a buyer, id make sure to do research on the item you'd like to purchase and make sure it is authenticated before purchading.

I find this suspicious as well. I bet the pics they sent you are stolen. Otherwise there's no reason not to post them in the listing, right? I would steer clear.

I don't know whether this brand is faked but I do know it's expensive. I'm not sure how well it retails pre-loved so have no idea whether the price is realistic but a quick search shows a lot of the bags being sold pre-loved are available WELL below retail.

Ask the seller to write their ebay-id on a slip of paper and send you the photos of the bag with that showing? At least then you'd know they have the bag in their possession.

Regarding postage, it needs to be Special Delivery within the UK as 1st with signature only insures up to about £50. SD is the only postage method that will provide the level of insurance required (unless sellers wants to use Parcelforce, FedEx etc).

I don't know whether this brand is faked but I do know it's expensive. I'm not sure how well it retails pre-loved so have no idea whether the price is realistic but a quick search shows a lot of the bags being sold pre-loved are available WELL below retail.

Ask the seller to write their ebay-id on a slip of paper and send you the photos of the bag with that showing? At least then you'd know they have the bag in their possession.

Regarding postage, it needs to be Special Delivery within the UK as 1st with signature only insures up to about £50. SD is the only postage method that will provide the level of insurance required (unless sellers wants to use Parcelforce, FedEx etc).

Thank you for the excellent advice, I've just messaged them asking to send pics of the bag with their user ID to confirm.

I know what you mean about the brand - in shops its expensive, but I'm not sure about the preloved market. I've watched one Aspinal bag listed on eBay over the past ten days not sell and the seller dropped the price down to £300, whereas in shops its £595 (and that bag is certainly legit).

Because there are so many untrustworthy sellers out there, I would suggest to do your due diligence as a seller and as a buyer. If you're an honest seller, you'd post all pics required and be glad to assist any potential buyers with their questions since you have nothing to hide. If you're a buyer, id make sure to do research on the item you'd like to purchase and make sure it is authenticated before purchading.

I find this suspicious as well. I bet the pics they sent you are stolen. Otherwise there's no reason not to post them in the listing, right? I would steer clear.

Is it worth the risk? In a word, no. Too many red flags. A bargain is no bargain in this situation.

Top notch advice... & agree would pass on this seller

Thank you for the excellent advice, I've just messaged them asking to send pics of the bag with their user ID to confirm.

I know what you mean about the brand - in shops its expensive, but I'm not sure about the preloved market. I've watched one Aspinal bag listed on eBay over the past ten days not sell and the seller dropped the price down to £300, whereas in shops its £595 (and that bag is certainly legit).

I've seen a few of Aspinal bags in TK Maxx, if you live close by you can try your luck :smile:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you decide to buy, use a credit card to fund the paypal transaction.

The new listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Maryl...05?pt=UK_Women_s_Lingerie&hash=item43c9164ec5

And her current listings include another with only a stock photo:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ouhiy_uk/...Women_s_Lingerie&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

She as several completed listings, none sold:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ouhiy_uk/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

A lot of folks are telling you the same thing, I'd listen. Why would a brand new seller start off by listing an item with one stock photo - "perfect price" or not. Way too many red flags on this transaction for me, I'd pass. One thing one learns about eBay - if you keep looking, another one will come by.