Wrong packaging, right item

bliss_cathy

Jan 30, 2014
Hello,

I just purchased an item from ebay. The item is fine, I just had it looked at by the store. However the packaging is off. It's a Tiffany necklace, and the velvet box is fine, but the outer blue box is much too large for the velvet box. My other Tiffany items that I own, the velvet box sits snug in the blue box. The blue box that has been sent to me is about an inch bigger than the velvet box so the box bounces around in it.

I had explicitly said in my emails that I wanted the correct packaging.

So I emailed the seller who has 100% feedback and took pictures of the box she sent me vs boxes I own, and showed her the difference. I asked if she had the original box and could she please send that to me. She wrote back saying she still had the original box but had sent me the wrong box because she thought it was nicer?!!! Then she said she was not going to have internet access for 4 days, but I could return the box and she would send the proper one.

I wrote back and said, fantastic, I will send her the box back, could she please send delivery details to me.

She hasn't replied, and I've just checked the package she sent and she didn't included a return address on that either (only a mobile number).

I was hoping to just send her the box from the return delivery address but that's not there, so now I need to wait until she had internet access.

In this situation, do people think that me getting the correct box will even happen? I don't really know what to do.

I hope to hear some advice :smile:

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
She may be headed somewhere for the weekend and will not have internet access. It's difficult to say for sure, but to me it sounds like she swapped the boxes because she thought it'd be better. If she said that she'd exchange the boxes, I guess I don't see any reason not to trust her.

She may be headed somewhere for the weekend and will not have internet access. It's difficult to say for sure, but to me it sounds like she swapped the boxes because she thought it'd be better. If she said that she'd exchange the boxes, I guess I don't see any reason not to trust her.

This. I might wait a few days until she has access. Then chat with her to get it sorted out.

Hmmm, weird I sent the box back and she received it, but now she says all the boxes are the same size that she has.

I know the necklace is fine, a jeweller has inspected it and tiffany and co have cleaned it and given quotes for polishing. However the box she sent looked off and I know the size it should be direct from the store.

I've asked her to send a different one. It's a shame it won't be the smaller size I want but if she sends at least one that looks better, so hopefully this is not just a waste of time and return postage.

She also says she usually gets extra boxes when she gets items cleaned. I get platinum and gold items cleaned all the time and the most they usually give is a pouch. I've just sent items off for 21 day polishing and I don't even think they will come back in a box. Tiffany is extremely strict on the one box per customer rule.

It is a bit weird. My guess is she is not the original owner and never had the original packaging but she doesn't want to say so. My second guess is she put it in a box she may have had from another cheaper purchase.

Should I just take it as a loss that I didn't get the correct box and be grateful the item itself is fine?

Last edited:
I have to say, it is just a box.....
if the item is authentic and you received the small drawstring bag why do you really need the box?

:lol:

Yes, I know - it is just a box. I know I'm being overly pedantic. I always over inspect things. I think I'm being overly cautious as it's one of my first ebay purchases. Thank you for putting it into perspective for me.

With so much fake Tiffany, I think you should be glad you got an authentic piece of jewelry.

Ebay buyers need to remind themselves that they buy on ebay for several reasons.

One might be that you can't find the item at the store.
Another is that you're looking for a bargain.

The item you paid for is the jewelry, which you received and confirmed as authentic. If getting the original box is that important, perhaps ebay isn't the venue from which to purchase. Of course you'll pay more for the same piece of jewelry but you'll have the "right" box.

I guess it's a matter of priorities and what's important to you.

With so much fake Tiffany, I think you should be glad you got an authentic piece of jewelry.

Ebay buyers need to remind themselves that they buy on ebay for several reasons.

The item you paid for is the jewelry, which you received and confirmed as authentic. If getting the original box is that important, perhaps ebay isn't the venue from which to purchase. Of course you'll pay more for the same piece of jewelry but you'll have the "right" box.

Its true I'm a bit of a stress head at times, and I always double, triple check things very thoroughly. I think the box made me worry a bit something was up...but it's just a box.

I know there are definitely genuine items at a good price on eBay. I just like to be very thorough!

All good :smile:

I have to say, it is just a box.....
if the item is authentic and you received the small drawstring bag why do you really need the box?

+1

As a seller I would be a bit frustrated if a buyer was up in arms over a box. And from what I read it is an authentic Tiffany box, just a little too big? Seriously PO, ebay is not a boutique. Shipping an empty box back and forth seems wasteful of time and money.

+1
Seriously PO. Ebay is not a boutique

This is a bit mean. I even just conceded I was being overly pedantic and that I was overreacting. I'm sorry I got you so upset.

I also would have been 100% fine if the seller just told me she just had this one box, I would have never bothered sending it back. However the seller claimed she had 'tons of tiffany boxes' and would send the right one to me once she received it. On receiving it, she now says that she only has the one box and can send it back again and doesn't own any other boxes.

Obviously a waste and time and postage on my end, out of pocket the postage and the packaging. I did say the box 'looked off', I didn't go into detail but never ever said in this thread the box looked or felt the same as the other ones from the store.

It doesn't bother me, if she had never sent the box or told me that was all she had. I just don't really get being given the run around on returning it for another one that didn't exist.

Last edited:
Honestly, given the huge number of fake Tiffany items on eBay, I would be thrilled to find that I had in fact received an authentic piece. But I am also going through a bit of a spring cleaning now and tossing out boxes and things that I just don't need. Relax and enjoy your lovely new jewelry!!