Travel Tunisia

Espinosa

O.G.
Jun 26, 2009
Hi Ladies,

I'm traveling to Italy for 3 weeks this fall, and want to try going to Tunisia for 7 days via a group tour.

I have always traveled with G Adventures when I went to Morocco, and Egypt. Which was amazing. But they unfortunately don't have trips to Tunisia.

The only tour operator that goes to Tunisia which is in my budget, and departs the dates I need are Cosmos.

Has anyone traveled with them? Or have any other options for tour operators?

Plus any advice on what to buy, or see?

Thanks!

Have you tried intrepidtravel.com?

When I worked for a tour company I had a lot of clients come in with nothing but good things to say about cosmos - the guides were good and organized. But that was just from people on tour in Canada and the Rocky Mountains, so I don't know how applicable that is to Tunisia.

Not sure of your age, but the demographic for cosmos tours was older, but again that may be because of the location.

Have you tried intrepidtravel.com?

When I worked for a tour company I had a lot of clients come in with nothing but good things to say about cosmos - the guides were good and organized. But that was just from people on tour in Canada and the Rocky Mountains, so I don't know how applicable that is to Tunisia.

Not sure of your age, but the demographic for cosmos tours was older, but again that may be because of the location.
Hi Daphodill,

I tried Intrepid, but the dates unfortunately didn't match up.

I know Cosmos is a much older demographic, and larger group size than I have traveled with.
G is usually maximum 20, with a wide demo. But Cosmos is around 40 persons per trip.

Well I'm glad that you've heard good things! ugh, I hate being indecisive.

And this time I'm going to travel solo....solo as in, not going with anyone I know.

Hi Daphodill,

I tried Intrepid, but the dates unfortunately didn't match up.

I know Cosmos is a much older demographic, and larger group size than I have traveled with.
G is usually maximum 20, with a wide demo. But Cosmos is around 40 persons per trip.

Well I'm glad that you've heard good things! ugh, I hate being indecisive.

And this time I'm going to travel solo....solo as in, not going with anyone I know.

40 sounds like a lot of people and very impersonal!!

Have you thought of using something like travbuddy to just find locals to meet up with, or other people travelling there at the same time? Or looking up local tour operators?

40 sounds like a lot of people and very impersonal!!

Have you thought of using something like travbuddy to just find locals to meet up with, or other people travelling there at the same time? Or looking up local tour operators?

I know! I think I might just skip Tunisia, at this rate, and leave it for next year with Intrepid.

The thought of sitting on a coach bus, with 40 other people, and those headphones. ugh. I did a day trip to Pompeii like that and hated that experience. Thanks for the tips though!

Hi Ladies,

I'm traveling to Italy for 3 weeks this fall, and want to try going to Tunisia for 7 days via a group tour.

I have always traveled with G Adventures when I went to Morocco, and Egypt. Which was amazing. But they unfortunately don't have trips to Tunisia.

The only tour operator that goes to Tunisia which is in my budget, and departs the dates I need are Cosmos.

Has anyone traveled with them? Or have any other options for tour operators?

Plus any advice on what to buy, or see?

Thanks!
Espinosa, I did just the opposite of you. My trip was to Tunisia and I stopped over in Rome for a few days. I traveled to Tunisia when it was just starting to attract tourists. I used the tour group Explore. I would stay away from Cosmos unless you're traveling to Europe or Australia or New Zealand. Not to insult anyone, but the travelers tend to be Americans wearing plaid shorts and white socks and carrying expensive cameras, and they stand out like a sore thumb. As an American who does a lot of adventure travel who doesn't like to stand out, I wouldn't feel comfortable.
Explore is about $1200, but it's 12 days, and I don't think you have that kind of time since it's just a stop over. But give it a try.
https://www.exploreworldwide.com/holidays/search#/holidays/search?countries=183

Good Luck!

Something else to add...
Tunisia is an amazing country, and if given the opportunity to go, do your best to do so.
Besides the shopping in Tunis, I went to Carthage, El Kef, Sfax, Sousse, Douz, Bizerte and we hiked through gorges along the Algeria border. I'm also a carpet collector so I purchased a lot of beautiful and colorful kalims.
It's also an amazing country to savor the mosaics - some of the most beautiful in the world.
Don't forget to try the brik!
I'll post some photos of my purchases...

Some pottery and the face of a covered woman made from leather.

Attachments

• 20140426_123553_1-hires.jpg
    20140426_123553_1-hires.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20140426_123751_1-hires.jpg
    20140426_123751_1-hires.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20140426_123906_1-hires.jpg
    20140426_123906_1-hires.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 74
Kilims and bank notes.

Attachments

• 20140426_124223_1-hires.jpg
    20140426_124223_1-hires.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20140426_124004_1-hires.jpg
    20140426_124004_1-hires.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20140426_104206_1-hires.jpg
    20140426_104206_1-hires.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 73
Espinosa, I did just the opposite of you. My trip was to Tunisia and I stopped over in Rome for a few days. I traveled to Tunisia when it was just starting to attract tourists. I used the tour group Explore. I would stay away from Cosmos unless you're traveling to Europe or Australia or New Zealand. Not to insult anyone, but the travelers tend to be Americans wearing plaid shorts and white socks and carrying expensive cameras, and they stand out like a sore thumb. As an American who does a lot of adventure travel who doesn't like to stand out, I wouldn't feel comfortable.
Explore is about $1200, but it's 12 days, and I don't think you have that kind of time since it's just a stop over. But give it a try.
https://www.exploreworldwide.com/holidays/search#/holidays/search?countries=183

Good Luck!

Hi Dooney,

Thank you! I saw that trip by Explore, it would have been perfect if it was in the 9 day range since I have to be back in Rome by the 19th to meet my mum.

I loved Morocco, and Egypt and that's why I wanted to do Tunisia. But I rather leave it for next year than take a tour I'd be unhappy with or miss out on things.

Hi Dooney,

Thank you! I saw that trip by Explore, it would have been perfect if it was in the 9 day range since I have to be back in Rome by the 19th to meet my mum.

I loved Morocco, and Egypt and that's why I wanted to do Tunisia. But I rather leave it for next year than take a tour I'd be unhappy with or miss out on things.
Sounds good. And I would have no problem exploring Italy for 3 entire weeks. There's so much to savor. Have fun!