Best place to buy LV in Paris?

camillef_

Apr 10, 2014
Hi all,
It will be my first time going to Paris this May and I wanted to buy an LV there. Where would the best place be? If you can recommend a specific LV branch and share your experience that would be great!

I heard LV at Galeries Lafayette is able to do tax refunds right away so I am planning to go there. For anyone who has shopped at Lafayette, do they do the tax refunds inside the actual store or is it at customer service?

Also, I am a bit scared of walking around from the LV store back to the hotel carrying the LV paper bag. Is it safe to do so or should I hide my purchase? My hotel is near the Lourve and if I do plan to buy it in Lafayette it would be around a 10-15 minute walk. I'm planning to buy something in the damier ebene print and I don't know if that's considered "flashy" but is it safe carrying a designer bag in Paris? I'm scared to become a victim of pickpocketing because of my bag.

Thanks!

Hi all,

It will be my first time going to Paris this May and I wanted to buy an LV there. Where would the best place be? If you can recommend a specific LV branch and share your experience that would be great!

I heard LV at Galeries Lafayette is able to do tax refunds right away so I am planning to go there. For anyone who has shopped at Lafayette, do they do the tax refunds inside the actual store or is it at customer service?

Also, I am a bit scared of walking around from the LV store back to the hotel carrying the LV paper bag. Is it safe to do so or should I hide my purchase? My hotel is near the Lourve and if I do plan to buy it in Lafayette it would be around a 10-15 minute walk. I'm planning to buy something in the damier ebene print and I don't know if that's considered "flashy" but is it safe carrying a designer bag in Paris? I'm scared to become a victim of pickpocketing because of my bag.

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend going to the LV mothership at Champs Élysées it's such a beautiful and big store with it being your first time in Paris you have to experience it. We went to Paris twice last year and went to that location. I usually go in the morning as soon as they open to avoid the long lines. Then I head to the second floor to buy my items because it gets very crowded on the ground floor. They have the same items on the second floor so don't worry.

Regarding the tax refund at Galeries Lafayette take note that the lines will be VERY long and it will accommodate ALL customers that shopped in that big department store. So try to imagine the crowds especially if there is a lot of tourist groups. Also if you do cash refund note that the % percentage will be lower than a credit card refund. I usually do the credit card refunds.

I've never used my LV bags when I travel around Europe. Especially being a tourist, they can tell if you are a tourist. There are lots of pickpockets and thieves in Paris so my DH and I like to keep a low profile. Whenever we shop at LV or other designer shop we always have a recyclable grocery shopping bag ( Whole Foods, target, etc,) with us and put our purchases in there that way we don't appear too flashy and become a target. Heard too many stories about people's shopping bags getting stolen including some of my friends. Better safe than sorry. If you have a crossbody bag I would recommend using one.

Enjoy your time in Paris you will fall in love with that beautiful city. And more importantly enjoy shopping at LV.

I would definitely recommend going to the LV mothership at Champs Élysées it's such a beautiful and big store with it being your first time in Paris you have to experience it. We went to Paris twice last year and went to that location. I usually go in the morning as soon as they open to avoid the long lines. Then I head to the second floor to buy my items because it gets very crowded on the ground floor. They have the same items on the second floor so don't worry.

Regarding the tax refund at Galeries Lafayette take note that the lines will be VERY long and it will accommodate ALL customers that shopped in that big department store. So try to imagine the crowds especially if there is a lot of tourist groups. Also if you do cash refund note that the % percentage will be lower than a credit card refund. I usually do the credit card refunds.

I've never used my LV bags when I travel around Europe. Especially being a tourist, they can tell if you are a tourist. There are lots of pickpockets and thieves in Paris so my DH and I like to keep a low profile. Whenever we shop at LV or other designer shop we always have a recyclable grocery shopping bag ( Whole Foods, target, etc,) with us and put our purchases in there that way we don't appear too flashy and become a target. Heard too many stories about people's shopping bags getting stolen including some of my friends. Better safe than sorry. If you have a crossbody bag I would recommend using one.

Enjoy your time in Paris you will fall in love with that beautiful city. And more importantly enjoy shopping at LV.
I have a Longchamp overnight bag that I bring in my luggage whenever I travel (just in case baggage is overweight and I can transfer some stuff in the overnight bag as handcarry). I was planning on bringing the foldable Longchamp and keeping it in my bag while I buy my LV. Then when I get out of the store, I start using my new bag (buying a Speedy B) and keep the box/paper bag inside the Longchamp. Does that sound like a good idea or still too flashy? I heard they treat Longchamp like a grocery bag in Europe so I didn't think it was a big deal.

I'm travelling with my mom as well and she has a Monogram Speedy 35. She always brings that bag with her for travelling. We've travelled quite a lot around North America and Asia and never had a problem but I really am scared for her since nothing says flashy than a monogram lol. But I'm pretty sure I won't be able to convince her to not bringing it.

I have a Longchamp overnight bag that I bring in my luggage whenever I travel (just in case baggage is overweight and I can transfer some stuff in the overnight bag as handcarry). I was planning on bringing the foldable Longchamp and keeping it in my bag while I buy my LV. Then when I get out of the store, I start using my new bag (buying a Speedy B) and keep the box/paper bag inside the Longchamp. Does that sound like a good idea or still too flashy? I heard they treat Longchamp like a grocery bag in Europe so I didn't think it was a big deal.

I'm travelling with my mom as well and she has a Monogram Speedy 35. She always brings that bag with her for travelling. We've travelled quite a lot around North America and Asia and never had a problem but I really am scared for her since nothing says flashy than a monogram lol. But I'm pretty sure I won't be able to convince her to not bringing it.

I wouldn't recommend using the bag immediately because when you are at the airport and will claim your tax refund at the airport and get the customs stamp the item must NOT BE USED. The customs agent will look at your receipt and item. They can even deny you the refund if your item has been used.

You can definitely use your longchamp bag to place your LV shopping bag with your new item. We just like to use the recyclable bags coz it's bigger and we get to put much more stuff inside.

If your mom will use her speed just take note Paris can be very tiring (lots of walking,crowds, lines,etc. at the museums or Eiffel Tower ) holding a handheld bag will not be very comfortable to carry all day. I recommend a crossbody bag. Hands free and more security.

Hope these tips help :smile:

Although I originally really wanted to purchase my bag at the mothership, claiming tax at the airport doesn't seem very practical for me at the moment since my flight back home is so early in the morning and I heard lines there are horrible. Either way, both the airport and Lafayette will be catering to a lot of people and I think I just want to get it done with. But I'll still definitely check out Champs Elysees!

But thank you so much for your help and advice!

I would go to the Champs Élysées store. They have everything you need. In regards to pick pockets, never had any problems with that, I even carried my purchase without putting it in another bag! Don't stress out about it! Hope you enjoy your stay and happy shopping at the flag ship!:smile:

Although I originally really wanted to purchase my bag at the mothership, claiming tax at the airport doesn't seem very practical for me at the moment since my flight back home is so early in the morning and I heard lines there are horrible. Either way, both the airport and Lafayette will be catering to a lot of people and I think I just want to get it done with. But I'll still definitely check out Champs Elysees!

But thank you so much for your help and advice!

I vote champs still. There are computers that you use at the airport if it is too early for the agents. The champs sales associate filled everything out for us and gave us a paper in English about using the computers and the refund process. Then she talked us through all the steps from the minute we go to the airport. It was very easy. We went first thing in the morning to LV and she had our bags delivered to our hotel for us at no charge so we wouldn't have to worry. They were waiting for us in our room when we got there. I would be careful for sure. A group of kids tried to pick pocket my mother. I had to get a little forceful with one of them. They were eyeing my Bloomsbury the whole time. They didn't get anything, but it was scary.

I vote champs still. There are computers that you use at the airport if it is too early for the agents. The champs sales associate filled everything out for us and gave us a paper in English about using the computers and the refund process. Then she talked us through all the steps from the minute we go to the airport. It was very easy. We went first thing in the morning to LV and she had our bags delivered to our hotel for us at no charge so we wouldn't have to worry. They were waiting for us in our room when we got there. I would be careful for sure. A group of kids tried to pick pocket my mother. I had to get a little forceful with one of them. They were eyeing my Bloomsbury the whole time. They didn't get anything, but it was scary.
Wow that's great. How did you get them to deliver it to your hotel? Do you have to ask for it or do they offer the service while you're checking out? Do you know if every LV in Paris does that?

Ugh I'm really worried about pickpockets. I heard they're getting violent now too, it's a good thing they didn't do anything when you got more aggressive.

I would go to the Champs Élysées store. They have everything you need. In regards to pick pockets, never had any problems with that, I even carried my purchase without putting it in another bag! Don't stress out about it! Hope you enjoy your stay and happy shopping at the flag ship!:smile:
Good thing nothing happened to you! If you don't mind me asking, do you think it's okay to be carrying our LVs while going around Paris?
It's just my mom and I on this trip. I don't know if we'd be more vulnerable since we're both women carrying expensive bags. We're Asian too and I heard they target Asians since they think we carry cash only. Sigh.

Our sales associate just offered. And we were over by th louve too. I was with my mother and sister. We also bought a lot ($10,000) so that may have helped. I would just ask them to deliver though. Even if they charge you it is likely worth it. We ran into pickpockets in the subway only. I don't think I would use the subway system again. Everywhere else we felt safe. I did like having my crossbody Bloomsbury. I held my hand over the zipper any time we were in crowded areas.

Our sales associate just offered. And we were over by th louve too. I was with my mother and sister. We also bought a lot ($10,000) so that may have helped. I would just ask them to deliver though. Even if they charge you it is likely worth it. We ran into pickpockets in the subway only. I don't think I would use the subway system again. Everywhere else we felt safe. I did like having my crossbody Bloomsbury. I held my hand over the zipper any time we were in crowded areas.

I actually chose a hotel by the Lourve since it was right in the middle and I wanted us to just walk majority of the time. I also thought more pickpockets would be there compared to if we just walked.

I would say, it's ok to carry it around. Don't act like you are tourists, if you need to look at a map do it at a cafe or restaurant! Otherwise you don't need to worry about anything. I was there three years ago with my sister, so being two women on a trip should be fine! :smile:

Sorry to bump you on the pickpocketing advice...my mother and I used the subway all over Paris and never had a problem. With that being said, we were always very aware of our surroundings and our purses.

I think you should use your LV bags, you will see them all over. Just use common sense and for heavens sake...have a ball with shopping and sight seing! :smile: