Are all Hermes Items Made in France

jyyanks

Sep 15, 2013
I did a search but couldn't find the answer so thought I would start a new thread. Mods -- please feel free to move if there is already a thread on this subject.

I know leather goods and scarves are made in France but what about metal goods such as scarf rings, bracelets and watches? Are they made in France too? I could have sworn that someone told me that watches and some of the metal scarf rings are made in Switzerland and Wikipedia (not the most reliable source) says some of the silver jewelry is done in partnership with Tuareg tribesmen. Is that true? I don't care one way or another but was just curious..

I did a search but couldn't find the answer so thought I would start a new thread. Mods -- please feel free to move if there is already a thread on this subject.

I know leather goods and scarves are made in France
Not all scarves are made in France. Cotton scarves and cashmere stoles are made all over the place. I recall some scarves are even from India but don't keep the tag photo anymore, sorry. Silk gavroches sometimes can be made in Scotland.
Here are some examples:

Attachments

• 12122023_3.jpg
    12122023_3.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 2,789
  • BF054352_03.jpg
    BF054352_03.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 2,872
  • MP cotton pareo.jpg
    MP cotton pareo.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 2,787
  • tag cashmere stole.jpg
    tag cashmere stole.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2,885
  • tag GB cashmere.JPG
    tag GB cashmere.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,760
My Touareg belt buckle is stamped Made in Niger.

From http://www.departures.com/articles/out-of-the-box
"It's a world that includes goldsmiths in Mali, Tuareg tribesmen in Niger making silver belt buckles, Amazonian Indians turning sap into a latex material for a bag, and a mailman from Waco named Kermit Oliver who designs Hermès scarves with themes like Cheyenne, Pony Express, Kachina. There are 13 to date. Lawrence Marcus (of the Neiman Marcus family), a fan of the Texas mailman's Western art, introduced him to Jean-Louis Dumas. "I have the first scarf framed on my wall," says Oliver. "My wife wears them sometimes." Hermès in Waco."

My enamel bangle says 'Made in Austria' (from 2009, they used to be made by Frey Wille) and my new flat bi-coloured Chain d'Ancre scarf ring was 'Made in Italy'

I know some of H's hats are (or were anyway) made in Italy by Borsalino

It makes sense, obviously Hermes the best from wherever is best in the World

Thank you for the responses. I learn something new every day about the brand. It makes sense that H sources and makes things based on the country that is considered the best in that product/item.