Types of Caviar

styleconsul

Apr 8, 2012
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone owns the "iridescent" caviar and what your long term experience has been with it...

I was looking for a medium flap and I really do not like how the original caviar looks, for me it is just too rough.

Is the "iridescent" or "buffalo" caviar hard to keep clean?
It just looks so much nicer to me...

Now correct me if I am wrong, as I understand and from researching I know that there is and has always been the original caviar and also another one which is more matte looking but has kind of a rubbery shine to it (if that makes any sense)?
Right?

How can you protect it against accidental water damage and is it really that soft to the touch?

Thanks for your help

Does anyone know if this is a seasonal leather or if I can still find a classic flap in this type of caviar?????

This was indeed seasonal. A good example is the hot pink of last spring/summer. It was the "rubbery dirt magnet rubs off when you look at it" type of iridescent caviar. Any caviar other than regular rigid caviar, such as shiny iridescent, suede iridescent, rubbery iridescent, etc., will be seasonal. Chanel will use it on whatever they choose in whatever colors they choose. But if you order the standard classic flaps, they will come in the black or beige regular caviar.

Okay thanks for your answer-- have you seen a medium sized classic flap in the black iridescent? Even if it is not available I'm just wondering if I can still find one used...I have seen the mini flap
I don't like the fact that it could be a potential dust magnet but am willing to take could care of it because I like the sheen.
I saw a white one for cruise '14 in the rubbery caviar, it is beautiful but I definitely would not get the white in this version of the leather

Last edited:
Okay thanks for your answer-- have you seen a medium sized classic flap in the black iridescent? Even if it is not available I'm just wondering if I can still find one used...I have seen the mini flap
I don't like the fact that it could be a potential dust magnet but am willing to take could care of it because I like the sheen.
I saw a white one for cruise '14 in the rubbery caviar, it is beautiful but I definitely would not get the white in this version of the leather

I really don't know why on earth anyone would actively seek out a black classic flap made of this type of leather, as it isn't the best for lasting use. Just search pros and cons of iridescent caviar and many other threads about it on here and you'll find it's not one people choose for their first choice. It's also not shiny, unless you happen to find a seasonal one that's in the shiny iridescent, but usually those are in colors such as red, not black. For black, your best bet is regular durable caviar or else lovely puffy lambskin. The pink iridescent of last spring/summer was wearing off before it was even used, and the floor models looked ready for the trash, and Chanel can't refurbish this material. But if this is what you seek, good luck. :smile:

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone owns the "iridescent" caviar and what your long term experience has been with it...

I was looking for a medium flap and I really do not like how the original caviar looks, for me it is just too rough.

Is the "iridescent" or "buffalo" caviar hard to keep clean?
It just looks so much nicer to me...

Now correct me if I am wrong, as I understand and from researching I know that there is and has always been the original caviar and also another one which is more matte looking but has kind of a rubbery shine to it (if that makes any sense)?
Right?

How can you protect it against accidental water damage and is it really that soft to the touch?

Thanks for your help
I would not purchase the iridescent caviar. I agree with what to tutushopper said. Even my SA told me not to purchase it as it is prone to color transfer. You should check out the metallic calfskin if you want a bag with a sheen to it. I have a black metallic reissue that is seven years old and looks brand-new.