Before surgery: really important things

shinyglittery

♥♥♥
Sep 3, 2013
1. Everyone who told me they had bad surgery said something like "I felt uneasy/bad/like something was wrong... but i went ahead with the surgery anyway". usually the reasons are cheap price, didn't read any bad reviews, already paid the deposit...
this shows how important it is to trust your feelings. if you can't trust the doctor 100% don't go ahead with the surgery!! every time someone has had bad surgery tells me this they also tell me they want a revision. guess what? the revision always costs more than the deposit. trust your feelings...

2. i learned how important it is not to eat before anaesthesia. i never thought about it because i never eat before anaesthesia anyway. the last time i went under GA i hadn't eaten in 36 hours. and it was actually a surprise that i had the surgery that day so i wasn't even prepared haha. but i never eat before surgery anyway. maybe that's why i always feel so good after GA. i think there are maybe two reasons why your throat hurts afterwards: your throat is too small/the tube is too big, and you ate too recently or just for some other reason your gag reflex is making your throat constrict around the tube and that's causing damage to your throat. my throat never hurt after GA and i never felt nauseous after GA. I actually always felt great! i didn't know why and i was surprised to read so many people have problems with GA. now i know why!
I think K Couture (i'm not sure) wrote that almost everyone who dies because of GA dies because they ate too soon before the surgery so their body makes them throw up and they choke on their own vomit. so don't eat before surgery!

you can add any other really important things below :smile:

Feeling nauseous post-op has nothing to do with eating. General anaesthetic includes a "cocktail" of drugs and one of them would invariably be an opioid (most commonly morphine). One of the side effects of morphine is nausea (and constipation). It would also explain why people wake up from GA in a high (ie euphoria).
The stomach needs to be empty during surgery to prevent you choking on your stomach contents.

I suffer from bad post op nausea and informed my anaesthetist so that he could adjust the drug cocktail. He reduced my morphine (as he said women generally have a higher pain threshold)

i guess no.3 would be to protect yourself no matter how good, kind or reputable the clinic is
as other members have said have things in writing , take before and after pic and keep them with you so you have proof of what and if anything went wrong. tell someone where , when and which dr. is doing your surgery ( even if its a secret to your friends or family, try to at least tell one person )

if i think of anything else i ll write them down :smile:

So agree, ShinyGlittery. I was VERY uncomfortable when my doctor said she would not do what I had paid her to do (!), but did not have the courage to walk out or even demand a refund for that part.

I would add the following:

1) Make sure in no uncertain terms they know what you expect afterwards. Do not get bullied out of the procedures you want or into procedures you don't want.

2) Find "real" before/afters. I cannot tell you how many "patients" I saw working for these clinics in Korea as their consultants or office clerks. Like a good 75% of the pictures I've seen on naver or this forum have belonged to employees.

1. Everyone who told me they had bad surgery said something like "I felt uneasy/bad/like something was wrong... but i went ahead with the surgery anyway". usually the reasons are cheap price, didn't read any bad reviews, already paid the deposit...
this shows how important it is to trust your feelings. if you can't trust the doctor 100% don't go ahead with the surgery!! every time someone has had bad surgery tells me this they also tell me they want a revision. guess what? the revision always costs more than the deposit. trust your feelings...

2. i learned how important it is not to eat before anaesthesia. i never thought about it because i never eat before anaesthesia anyway. the last time i went under GA i hadn't eaten in 36 hours. and it was actually a surprise that i had the surgery that day so i wasn't even prepared haha. but i never eat before surgery anyway. maybe that's why i always feel so good after GA. i think there are maybe two reasons why your throat hurts afterwards: your throat is too small/the tube is too big, and you ate too recently or just for some other reason your gag reflex is making your throat constrict around the tube and that's causing damage to your throat. my throat never hurt after GA and i never felt nauseous after GA. I actually always felt great! i didn't know why and i was surprised to read so many people have problems with GA. now i know why!
I think K Couture (i'm not sure) wrote that almost everyone who dies because of GA dies because they ate too soon before the surgery so their body makes them throw up and they choke on their own vomit. so don't eat before surgery!

you can add any other really important things below :smile:

Reactions: dpnot

It's me who posted the point about fasting before surgery. it is not that they choke on their own vomit, it's like because the patient is unconcious and is lying down, the body cant push the food up and out through your mouth way like it usually does when you feel nausea/vomitting. The stomach muscle, however, still try to push the food up and out like a natural reaction of that body, for that reason the food goes into your lung, block your airways and in most case cause infections that some of the lung tissues got damage and busted. For those interested, the original post is below. The rate of surviving if you eat a few hours before surgery is narrow, even if you survive, you'll suffer from horrible nausea and vomitting afterwards which is horrible if your mouth/jaw/cheek is bandage as it may cause tissue damage. So please fast for at least 6 hours, usually dr have a nothing-after-midnight rule which is 10 hours.

Fasting includes water as well, as the water can also go into your lung, (https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070716035626AAQ4zrp) so if you drink/eat anything before surgery you must let the dr know. In that case they usually delay the surgery until it is at least 6 hours later than that meal.

MaiQ said:
Fantasyface, one of the most common causes of death (factor out the skills of the doctor) is that the patient violate what was asked of them: fasting before surgery. A call for all of you who is going to undertake surgery or thinking to: You MUST fast at least 6-8 hours before surgery, or 10 to be safe. Because if you dont, you'll confirm die. Under GA, nausea caused by body reaction to GA is meant to make you vomit, but since u are unconcious, the food will go into your lung, causing infections and block your airway > confirmed death. This is the most popular cause of death during surgery due to violating this most simple rule, they ask it of your for a reason, many people thought of it lightly and pay with their life.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2080629AAyJC9G

Another cause is due to anaesthesia shocks but if the clinic do full blood test and all the safety measures they need to they will be able to identify this early.

PS: Dont take this lightly, I'm not talking about a proper meal or dinner here, even a small thing like a biscuit or a cup of water can kill, so please strictly nothing after midnight.

Last edited:
I ate and drink light on my GA although I know I shouldn't, but I still woke up in one piece. :heart:

you were lucky! that was really stupid and dangerous...

Feeling nauseous post-op has nothing to do with eating. General anaesthetic includes a "cocktail" of drugs and one of them would invariably be an opioid (most commonly morphine). One of the side effects of morphine is nausea (and constipation). It would also explain why people wake up from GA in a high (ie euphoria).
The stomach needs to be empty during surgery to prevent you choking on your stomach contents.

I suffer from bad post op nausea and informed my anaesthetist so that he could adjust the drug cocktail. He reduced my morphine (as he said women generally have a higher pain threshold)

i had no idea it's because of the opioids. i've never felt nausea from opioids, i guess it doesn't affect everyone :smile:

i guess no.3 would be to protect yourself no matter how good, kind or reputable the clinic is
as other members have said have things in writing , take before and after pic and keep them with you so you have proof of what and if anything went wrong. tell someone where , when and which dr. is doing your surgery ( even if its a secret to your friends or family, try to at least tell one person )

if i think of anything else i ll write them down :smile:

yes, that's super important. many clinics have been thought to be reputable until we hear from something going really wrong for the first time. and even reputable clinics can sometimes have accidents or even a new doctor that does something wrong. you should keep your pre op x-rays (to avoid/disprove the "it was like that before we operated on it" claim) and also before going to the clinic go to a professional photographer (if you can afford PS you can afford that) and have them take photos of your face from both sides and the front in different lightings so you can prove later on how you looked before the surgery. and yes you should tell someone who is doing your surgery and also take any papers they give you and keep them and even if there are papers you have to sign that they don't let you keep take a photo of them with your camera phone or whatever camera you have!!

So agree, ShinyGlittery. I was VERY uncomfortable when my doctor said she would not do what I had paid her to do (!), but did not have the courage to walk out or even demand a refund for that part.

I would add the following:

4) Make sure in no uncertain terms they know what you expect afterwards. Do not get bullied out of the procedures you want or into procedures you don't want.

This is really important, so true.

5) Find "real" before/afters. I cannot tell you how many "patients" I saw working for these clinics in Korea as their consultants or office clerks. Like a good 75% of the pictures I've seen on naver or this forum have belonged to employees.

I've read this so many times I have to believe it, when I go in for consultations I will take a good look at the models on the clinic's website before the consultation and then look around to see how many were actually working for the clinic... even if many of the employees actually had surgery at the clinic it's still kind of dishonest. if you do such a good job on patients why not put their pictures up instead of your office clerks'? it's not even a privacy issue since many people in Korea would happily agree to it, just ask.

MaiQ: sorry if i got anything wrong, thank you for explaining it :smile: i don't think i've ever drank water or anything right before surgery but i think that was more coincidence. it's good to know that that's important too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You all already cover the important matters. I would like to add some minor cautions ^_^
No smoking at least 2 months before surgery.
Take Vitamin supplements if needed but avoid Vitamin E.
Take a good care of your skin. There was one member post about her nose surgery got postponed because of one pimple popped out from her nose.

I'll add another one to the list - strictly no Vitamin E intake before the surgery. NOR Ginseng supplement. I know both of them sounds like it can help with healing but in fact its the opposite.

Vitamin E and surgery do not mix because Vitamin E is associated with increased bleeding, and this can lead to collection of blood (called a hematoma) that could result in serious complications. Most surgeons will instruct you to avoid preparations with Vitamin E before surgery, however, so it is important to check your dietary supplements/multivitamin carefully. Most people are confused when they are instructed to avoid Vitamin E prior to surgery because Vitamin E is often associated with of healing scars. But because of its blood-thining characteristics, u should avoid it.

Herbal supplements, in general, are to be avoided prior to surgery because they can cause bleeding or other operative complications. A few commonly taken herbal supplements to avoid are: Ginko Biloba, Garlic, Ginseng, Ginger, Dong Quai, Ephedra, Feverfew, St. John's Wort and/or Omega 3 fatty acids.

A general rule is to stop taking these potentially unsafe preparations at least two weeks prior.

These are vitamins u shld try to take pre-ops - also should start taking them 2 weeks before for faster healing:

Vitamin C: Necessary to build and rebuild collagen throughout the body. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune response.
Vitamin A: Supports immune system functioning and aids collagen strength. Also required for bone development.
Zinc: An essential trace mineral used in enzymatic reactions involved in tissue and wound healing, regeneration and repair.
Vitamin K: Aids the natural blood clotting response and is important for bone health.
B-Vitamins: Cellular metabolism, tissue repair and immune support.
Vitamin D & Calcium: Important for bone health.
Magnesium: Mineral involved in approximately 300 biochemical reactions.
Amino Acids (L-Arginine, L-Glutamine): Two key amino acids for wound repair and immune function.

Reactions: soyeon
Oh MaiQ good information, that reminds me: avoid anything with blood thinning properties!! this includes aspirin, turmeric and chinese cinnamon. I recently read that natural ginger can also have blood thinning properties! I think this is important because while most people eat ginger in their diet not many people take ginger supplements. If you take any medications check with the doctor, you will probably have to stop taking them a few weeks before surgery if they affect blood flow.

I got this info off a health website about medications and anesthesia....

Which medications should I take or skip prior to having general anesthesia?

There are several medications and classes of medications that warrant special attention prior to undergoing general anesthesia.

Blood Pressure Medications

Beta Blockers. If you are taking a beta blocker for high blood pressure, it is important for you to continue taking this medication upto the morning of your surgery and throughout your hospital stay. Abruptly stopping this type of medication can cause dangerous increases in your blood pressure and heart rate that can result in a heart attack.

Beta Blockers include:

Betapace (sotalol) Lopressor (metoprolol) Toprol (metoprolol)

Corgard (nadolol) Normodyne (labetalol) Trandate (labetalol)

Inderal (propranolol) Tenormin (atenolol) Zebeta (bisoprolol)

ACE Inhibitors & Angiotensin Receptor Blockers

If you are taking this type of medication, it is preferable to stop taking it the evening prior to having surgery. ACE inhibitors and Angiotensin Receptor Blockers have been associated with low blood pressure that is difficult to treat when undergoing anesthesia.

ACE Inhibitors include:

Accupril (quinapril) Lotensin (benazepril) Univasc (moexipril)

Aceon (perindopil) Mavik (trandolapril) Vasotec (enalpril)

Altace (ramipril) Monopril (fosinopril) Zestril (lisinopril)

Capoten (captopril) Prinivil (lisinopril)

Angiotensin Receptor Blockers include:

Atacand (eprosartan) Cozaar (losartan) Diovan (valsartan)

Avapro (irbesartan)

Metformin (Glucophage)

Metformin should be stopped for 48 hours prior to surgery. It is an oral hypoglycemic drug that has been associated with a serious condition called lactic acidosis when undergoing general anesthesia.

Aspirin & Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAIDs)

Aspirin & NSAIDs are usually avoided to avoid increased surgical bleeding. Please consult with your surgeon to confirm how long you should stop taking these medications.

Examples of some commonly used NSAIDs include:

Advil (ibuprofen) Indocin (indomethacin) Nuprin

Aleve (naproxen) Mobic Relafen

Daypro (oxaprozin) Motrin (ibuprofen) Voltaren (diclofenac)

Feldene (piroxicam) Naprosyn (naproxen)

Chronic Pain Medications

Narcotic analgesics for chronic pain should be continued and taken on the morning of surgery in order to avoid worsening of the chronic pain

Monoamine Oxidase (MAO) Inhibitors

MAO inhibitors can interact with certain medications and result in a hypertensive crisis (a sharp increase in blood pressure) that can lead to stroke, heart attack or death. They should be discontinued at least 2 weeks undergoing general anesthesia

MAO inhibitors include:

Marplan (isocarboxazid) Matulane (procarbazine)

Nardil (phenelzine) pargyline

Parnate (tranylcypromine)

Herbal Remedies

The American Society of Anesthesiologists recently issued a warning about the potential side effects and interactions of herbal remedies with medications used before, during and after surgery. Some of the observed risks include but are not limited to:

- increases in heart rate & blood pressure (increasing the risk of heart attack and stroke),

- bleeding,

- increased sedative effect and duration of anesthesia.

The group recommends that a person stop taking all herbs at least two weeks prior to surgery.

I was gonna link the website but I thought I would just make it easier to find and read~~

You all already cover the important matters. I would like to add some minor cautions ^_^
No smoking at least 2 months before surgery.
Take Vitamin supplements if needed but avoid Vitamin E.
Take a good care of your skin. There was one member post about her nose surgery got postponed because of one pimple popped out from her nose.
I wonder how bad it really is, if you smoke or drink weeks before surgery. Why do they tell you not to?