Is new caviar still leather?

"HONEY WE NEED TO GO TO THE APPLE STORE!"
DH: "What for??"
"PORES! I need to find pores on my baggies..." >__>

😂😂😂😂😂I am sorry OP I couldn't stop laughing since I read pores!!! Anyway, they are caviar and they are leather.. Here are two of mines, black is 17XXX beige is 19XXX they both have pebbles and/or pores 😂😂😂😂😂. I am glad to find someone as me with her bags!😉ImageUploadedByPurseForum1396669570.831258.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1396669907.677466.jpg

I never tried using the flashlight with photographs before, since light usually washes out my photos.

I just tried it, i open to the video setting with flash setting on, its really clear. :biggrin:

Oh yay! I'm soooo getting one of these, too! Thank you for enlightening us all to this fab device! :smile:

😂😂😂😂😂I am sorry OP I couldn't stop laughing since I read pores!!! Anyway, they are caviar and they are leather.. Here are two of mines, black is 17XXX beige is 19XXX they both have pebbles and/or pores 😂😂😂😂😂. I am glad to find someone as me with her bags!😉View attachment 2567884View attachment 2567888

Uhoh, Yeanett, I don't see any pores on your beige...so not good! :smile: :cool::faint::upsidedown::amazed::sad::wtf:

Maybe we can go really CSI/FBI here and try to find Karl's fingerprints on our bags! Haha.

I have the newer style caviar on my black GST (2014 vintage), and I'm also happy to agree with Tutushopper that it's indestructible. But to snowbubble's point, it never did really feel like leather, honestly. I did feel some regret for not buying Chanel earlier when caviar was more shiny, especially every time people make comments about quality declining. We all want nothing but the best, right? That's why we're here in the Chanel forum! Fortunately, after 3 months, my bag is developing a shiny patina that looks quite nice.

😂😂😂😂😂I am sorry OP I couldn't stop laughing since I read pores!!! Anyway, they are caviar and they are leather.. Here are two of mines, black is 17XXX beige is 19XXX they both have pebbles and/or pores 😂😂😂😂😂. I am glad to find someone as me with her bags!😉View attachment 2567884View attachment 2567888

That's very interesting, they must be doing something to make the caviar studier and less porous. I noticed this is only for the 19XXXXX bags, I have a 19xxxxxx wallet in caviar it's super pore-y. Hahah!
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1396703766.344606.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1396703785.308314.jpg

Flash makes the hardware look so scratch! Haha this is taken without the lens, just regular iPhone5s.

Maybe we can go really CSI/FBI here and try to find Karl's fingerprints on our bags! Haha.

I have the newer style caviar on my black GST (2014 vintage), and I'm also happy to agree with Tutushopper that it's indestructible. But to snowbubble's point, it never did really feel like leather, honestly. I did feel some regret for not buying Chanel earlier when caviar was more shiny, especially every time people make comments about quality declining. We all want nothing but the best, right? That's why we're here in the Chanel forum! Fortunately, after 3 months, my bag is developing a shiny patina that looks quite nice.

I completely felt the same, I even thought about returning and purchasing a preloved with the shiny caviar in jumbo. Yes! Especially when I read about Chanel declining quality and price increases; it should only get better and better. I'm makes me happy to read that the newer caviar is much studier, and indestructible!

My 19XXXXXX caviar wallet I bought about a month ago, is developing a really shiny patina, when I first purchased it I was super upset because it was a matte with no shine. I guess it gets better and better with use! YAY! :P

Weirdest Chanel Question you'll ever get asked:
Does your newer caviar GST have pores?

:blush::lol:

I completely felt the same, I even thought about returning and purchasing a preloved with the shiny caviar in jumbo. Yes! Especially when I read about Chanel declining quality and price increases; it should only get better and better. I'm makes me happy to read that the newer caviar is much studier, and indestructible!

My 19XXXXXX caviar wallet I bought about a month ago, is developing a really shiny patina, when I first purchased it I was super upset because it was a matte with no shine. I guess it gets better and better with use! YAY! :P

Yay!!! Great to hear that it's not just me. The patina should get keep getting nicer too. Still, I would love to see and touch old caviar in person. Few of my friends have Chanel bags so not sure when that will happen.

Enjoy your new wallet!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: SHould also allow customer to do a genetic testing, make sure that the carviar is from cow, but not buffalo or anything else.... particular with the price is going up...only costs less than $100 dollars to do that.

I just knew we were getting to where someone would get an electron scanning microscope for using to look at these bags! :cool:

Leather is made from critters. For caviar, it's cow. It's pebbled cow skin (calf). It's not plastic. Today's caviar is made from cow and the bags from earlier days that are caviar were made from cow. I don't have access to an electron scanning microscope anymore, so I can't take those kinds of photos of mine to show you, but trust me, authentic Chanel caviar is made from pebbled calf (cow) leather. :smile:

Oh, just to add. Suede is the outside part of the calf hide (skin). That's why it's fuzzy, as cows have fur/hair (which is what "pony hair" things are made from). Ostrich has feathers. Alligators have scales same as snakes. When those types of leather are used, you'll see where the feathers were pulled out or the pores are in the skin. Cows don't generally have pores that you can see other than with an electron scanning microscope, especially as often leather is split to make one hide (skin) into more, so one person would get the outer split (towards the outside of the cow or the epidermis) and another the inner split (towards the organs of the cow or the inner dermis). There's a ton of info out there if you do a search for how leather is made.

They do all kinds of interesting stuff to tan leather. Good for a bedtime read. :smile: