The best Chanel biographies?

Aug 14, 2013
Hello :smile:

Chanel has always fascinated me. I always find myself looking at books about her in book stores. I just ordered one called Sleeping With the Enemy: Coco Chanel's Secret War and it's about her collaboration with the Nazis in Paris, her affair with a master spy, and her work for the German military intelligence service and Himmler’s SS.

What are your favorite Chanel biographies?

I don't know but I have been looking for a movie I saw in the 80s. It was around 1985/1986 - and it was the story of Coco - it went from her childhood right through to her being abandonded as an adult - it was so good - but I cannot remember it or the title but have looked for a long time..........

Great thread. I was thinking of starting a similar one myself. I have a fairly good library of Chanel books but am always looking to add to it. Sleeping with the Enemy is a good one.

I think my favorite is Coco Chanel The Legend and the Life by Justine Picardie. Filled wonderful photos too!
Also good is Intimate Chanel by Isabelle Fiemeyer. Also has good pics.
The Gospel According to Coco Chanel by Karen Karbo is a must read as well.

For good historical pics of her and her collections, check out Mademoiselle Summer 62 by Lagerfeld and Kirkland.
Also, Chanel Collections and Creations by Daniele Bott and Chanel Fine Jewelry by Francois Baudot.

Another enjoyable read, although not specifically about Coco Chanel is Dreaming of Chanel by Charlotte Smith.

There is a wonderful chapter on Chanel and several pages dedicated to the 2.55 handbag in A Matter of Fashion by Federico Rocca.

And lastly, do not miss the wit and wisdom that is Karl Lagerfeld in The World According to Karl.

If there are any other good ones out there that are worth adding to my collection, I'd love to know about them too!

Great thread. I was thinking of starting a similar one myself. I have a fairly good library of Chanel books but am always looking to add to it. Sleeping with the Enemy is a good one.

I think my favorite is Coco Chanel The Legend and the Life by Justine Picardie. Filled wonderful photos too!
Also good is Intimate Chanel by Isabelle Fiemeyer. Also has good pics.
The Gospel According to Coco Chanel by Karen Karbo is a must read as well.

For good historical pics of her and her collections, check out Mademoiselle Summer 62 by Lagerfeld and Kirkland.
Also, Chanel Collections and Creations by Daniele Bott and Chanel Fine Jewelry by Francois Baudot.

Another enjoyable read, although not specifically about Coco Chanel is Dreaming of Chanel by Charlotte Smith.

There is a wonderful chapter on Chanel and several pages dedicated to the 2.55 handbag in A Matter of Fashion by Federico Rocca.

And lastly, do not miss the wit and wisdom that is Karl Lagerfeld in The World According to Karl.

If there are any other good ones out there that are worth adding to my collection, I'd love to know about them too!

Thank you so much for that long list! :biggrin: Chanel is so interesting.

Don't forget about the movies that have been made about her life as well; Coco Before Chanel with Audrey Tautou. Coco Chanel with Shirley MacLaine. Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky with Anna Mouglalis.
Karl himself has also done several mini movies about Coco including one starring Kiera Knightley.

Don't forget about the movies that have been made about her life as well; Coco Before Chanel with Audrey Tautou. Coco Chanel with Shirley MacLaine. Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky with Anna Mouglalis.
Karl himself has also done several mini movies about Coco including one starring Kiera Knightley.

Coco Before Chanel was a very good movie! That was actually what got me interested in learning about her life story.

Great question! Thank you for posting! I love biographies :smile:. Can't wait to check some of them out :smile: