Workplace How to "Close" a Job Interview

Couturegrl

Addicted to Tiffany's
O.G.
Apr 24, 2006
Hello, everyone!

I had a great job interview today. The attorney I would be working for is very nice and we got along so well.:yahoo:

He scheduled me to come in for a second interview on Monday to meet his Partner who owns the firm.

Does anyone have any advice about how to go about a second interview and make a great impression? Thanks!!:smile:

PS--don't know if this matters or not, but the attorney who owns the firm is a woman.

i would say the same with any interview. be yourself for one, always. what really matters is the hiring party feels comfortable around you. if you're friendly, but professional, and exude a trustworthy vibe, you can do no wrong! getting along with everyone (seeing the friendly staff) would be a great addition as well!

Defer all questions regarding salary until you know they absolutely want you very, very badly.

I have done this. It works.

If they ask you about pay, just divert. Say "I really want to discuss salary with you but I want to ask you this before I forget. Your ..x.. said ..x.. and I would like to enquire about x....x"

After you know they dearly want you and when they ask what salary you require:
What was the person who last held this position paid?
What is the maxium salary and benefits you can offer?

You will never get a better package than this. They want you. Once you are hired they know they can offer less. Bargain hard at your final interview.

I once got a solid salary, terrific health care plan, and generous tuition pay agreements by doing the above.

Good luck!

you know they like you already so that should make you pretty confident. just be yourself and answer their questions carefully. you've been doing something right all along so just keep doing it. good luck! hope everything turns out well. i know how nervewracking interviews can be.

When I close an interview, I always ask the interviewer if there's anything else they are looking for in a candidate that I hadn't mentioned. That gives me a chance to get in the last bit of info which sometimes is very important. Then I ask them when they'll be making their decision. That's always a gracious way to end an interview.

I just finished a set of job interviews, and I sent handwritten thank you cards to the people I interviewed with. In terms of the firm's owner being a woman I would just be yourself. As long as you come off personable, intelligent, interested and hardworking that's all that really matters.

Try as much as you can to relax! Just be friendly and try your best :smile:

Maybe when you're done with your interview, how about writing a nice handwritten note thanking them for the opportunity to interview and that you look forward to hearing from them :smile:

Good luck on your interview, you'll do great :biggrin: :yahoo:

ITA -->
When I close an interview, I always ask the interviewer if there's anything else they are looking for in a candidate that I hadn't mentioned. That gives me a chance to get in the last bit of info which sometimes is very important. Then I ask them when they'll be making their decision. That's always a gracious way to end an interview.

+ send thank you follow up email/card

reiterate how much u would like to join them and that you would be a good fit/have the required skills. do this in one or 2 sentences, don't spend 5 minutes on this. that's overkill.

BTW just because someone is a woman doesn't mean that you'll have an advantage. i can tell you from my own personal experience that some woman support other woman and there are some woman who discriminate against woman that work for them. i worked for both and the latter was a boss from hell. now i'm very very careful when i hear that someone i would potentially report to is a woman. i cannot tell how much worse it is to work for a woman who discriminates against you!!! ok i have to stop here, just thinking of her and the experience makes me so very sick and mad....:yucky:

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out! :wlae:

I work in recruiting - one piece if advice, don't try to skirt around the pay conversation, just be honest with what your pay requirements are - honestly companies are not trying to screw people out of pay when they ask this question. I really like it when candidates are honest, stating what they currently make, and then they state a range they are looking for - this can really help to your advantage to state a range.

Just my opinion, but I speak to candidates all day about pay...

Just do whatever you did on the first interview. I'm sure he's told her how you were and whatever other details so don't go away from that.

and yes send handwritten thank you cards. you can get a simple box of them at hallmark or any card store.

Good Luck!!