Any English Bulldog owners?

missmustard

Prima Donna Assoluta
O.G.
Oct 15, 2006
Hey all,

Does anyone own English Bulldogs here? If so, what has been your experience? I was offered a puppy but I would like to know what I'd be getting into before I accept.

Let me know!

I had one as a kid, if that counts. They have a lot of health problems, but are sweet and not terribly energetic, as I recall. Ours had hip dysplasia and my parents put her to sleep when she was only about 3 because she was in so much pain. But I loved her to bits--very gentle.

I don't have one, but I know the breed because my son wanted one for the longest time. They snort, snore, slobber, and have health issues. My son decided to rescue a stray mixed GSD instead. I think he decided the heavy breathing,
and health care responsibilities were too much for him to take on.

Hey all,

Does anyone own English Bulldogs here? If so, what has been your experience? I was offered a puppy but I would like to know what I'd be getting into before I accept.

Let me know!

I have worked with them. Typically lovely temperaments, however, they aren't what they used to be. "Breed Standards" have really ruined what was once a great dog, there are some substantial health issues that typically plague the breed.
They aren't natural whelpers because we have manipulated them to fit this "standard" so ALL of them need to be delivered by c-section.
I have moral issues with the breed that is one single generation away from extinction if left to breed without human whelping intervention.
Before you commit to buy I'd expand your search to include Victorian Bulldogs and other such strains that people are working on to bring back the English Bulldog to what it used to look like and back to a healthier dog.
Being English myself, it makes me sad to see what breeders have done to this once noble breed. They used to be very healthy, strong and capable of great physical stamina.

Best of luck to you, it's great that you're doing your research!

Last edited:
I've owned at least one English bulldog for the past 12 years, I love, love, love them and will never be without one. Piper was my first, we lost her to cancer last year when she was 11. When Piper was 9 we got a new puppy Dixie, who is now 2 1/2. Last weekend we added Elsa Rose to the family, she's 10 weeks. It's super important to make sure you're getting one from a good breeder, Piper had no health issues until she got cancer as a senior, and Dixie has none of the typical bulldog issues either. The main thing with them that you have to realize is that they can get over-heated very easily, so no long walks or activity outdoors anytime it's about 65+ or humid. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!