Keep or Pass - Kelly Long Wallet

AZPurseGirl

Mar 6, 2014
Last Friday I saw a Kelly Long Wallet on USA hermes.com so I ordered it right away. Neither the receipt or the email order confirmation states the color but its basically beige. I have a Rouge Casaque 32cm Kelly and hope to add a B or Evelyne one day, so I figured a neutral wallet was good.

The wallet came today and I am having some doubts as to whether I should keep it. Among them are:
* When I purchased my 32cm Kelly all the hardware had plastic protecting it. The wallet I received had the plastic already removed and fingerprint smudges on the hardware. Although there is no damage, it appears someone returned it. That makes it slightly less special - am I crazy?
* I didn't really think about the challenges of getting in and out of the wallet...I saw some other similarly sized wallets with respect to # credit card slots, etc. on an international Hermes site (might have been an Evelyne wallet - it looked similar and was two tone) that looked more practical for everyday use.
* Beige suddenly seems boring -my other 2 "nice" wallets are a LV and a Gucci, one is brown and the other beige. So maybe its time to get something with a pop of color?
* I will probably never be able to afford a croc K or B, but I can afford a K croc wallet. So maybe I should hold out for something more special?

Sooooo, do I keep this wallet or return and wait for something else? I should mention I live in Phoenix, AZ and we have no Hermes here so I have to wait for things to pop up on Hermes.com or until I travel somewhere there is a Hermes store which probably won't be for 6-12 months.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Reactions: Lejic
Return it and wait if you don't love this wallet. It wouldn't bother me if something is a return, as long as it isn't damaged in any way. If the wallet isn't functional for you, it's a waste since you wouldn't want to use it. H makes other wallets that are a lot more accessible.

In regards to color, I don't match my wallet to my bags anyways, so it wouldn't be important to me to stick to neutrals. Pop colors can be fun and practical (easy to find your wallet!).

A croc Kelly wallet is nice, but again, if the practicality of getting in and out is not there, go for a different version wallet.

* When I purchased my 32cm Kelly all the hardware had plastic protecting it. The wallet I received had the plastic already removed and fingerprint smudges on the hardware. Although there is no damage, it appears someone returned it. That makes it slightly less special - am I crazy?

It wouldn't bother me if it was the wallet I wanted

* I didn't really think about the challenges of getting in and out of the wallet...I saw some other similarly sized wallets with respect to # credit card slots, etc. on an international Hermes site (might have been an Evelyne wallet - it looked similar and was two tone) that looked more practical for everyday use.

It's tricky but I appreciate tricky wallets as it means I really think about whether or not I need to open it ;)

* Beige suddenly seems boring -my other 2 "nice" wallets are a LV and a Gucci, one is brown and the other beige. So maybe its time to get something with a pop of color?

That's up to you. My last H wallet was a Ruby Dogon so I could see it quickly in any bag. It now resides in a bag with a red suede interior :shrugs:

I do appreciate that classic neutral colours (even light one) can look as good aged as they do new though

* I will probably never be able to afford a croc K or B, but I can afford a K croc wallet. So maybe I should hold out for something more special?

I use a (non-H) croc wallet everyday. The most important thing is to buy something you will use :yes:

Most of the questions are personal decisions depending on your comfort levels. When I was debating to buy my KW or not, I was advised by the wise ladies here to only buy something that makes your heart sing :smile:
I bought my KW for daily uses. For quick access, one trick that was shown by my SA is to lash the leather straps on first then buckle the top in, so I can go in and out without unlashing the straps. Hope that helps.

Reactions: CMilly
The ref # on your confirmation & receipt contains information re: color. In any case... the Kelly wallet that I saw on H.com last Friday was an etoupe in chevre (ref# 051303CK18)!! Yummy! :graucho:

Pic from H.com:

051303CK18 Kelly wallet etoupe chevre.jpg

Now... to answer your questions (my responses in blue):

From AZPurseGirl: Last Friday I saw a Kelly Long Wallet on USA hermes.com so I ordered it right away. Neither the receipt or the email order confirmation states the color but its basically beige. I have a Rouge Casaque 32cm Kelly and hope to add a B or Evelyne one day, so I figured a neutral wallet was good.

The wallet came today and I am having some doubts as to whether I should keep it. Among them are:

This wouldn't bother me, if it was the combination that I wanted. I've read that H.com orders are fulfilled by one of the H boutiques in NY, and it's possible that the covering was removed by an SA... since I've purchased items at boutiques w/missing plastic covering, as well.

The Kelly wallet isn't what I would consider practical, but that doesn't seem to be the point of a lot of H accessories. lol. Here's an extensive thread that might help: Bearn vs Kelly wallets

We like what we like... and many women own multiple accessories - incl H accessories - in the same color. :P Personally... I love etoupe, especially with its lovely contrast stitching... and, in chevre... :love: But... it's your wallet... so buy what you like. ;)

This question has been asked on tpf... and many tpfers who ask this question, ultimately opt for another bag over an exotic wallet. For me... a wallet isn't so exciting an accessory, that I want an exotic one. If I could choose, I'd spring for an exotic CDC + a non-exotic wallet... as a way to have the best of both, instead. :graucho:

Sooooo, do I keep this wallet or return and wait for something else? I should mention I live in Phoenix, AZ and we have no Hermes here so I have to wait for things to pop up on Hermes.com or until I travel somewhere there is a Hermes store which probably won't be for 6-12 months.

Kelly wallets are relatively rare on H.com. Although they do appear, they're rarely in bright, fun, "pop" colors. Not to mention... Kelly wallets in chevre are even more rare. Needless to say... it's a tough decision. GL! :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: EmilyM111
The ref # on your confirmation & receipt contains information re: color. In any case... the Kelly wallet that I saw on H.com last Friday was an etoupe chevre (ref# 051303CK18)!! Yummy! :graucho:

Now... to answer your questions:
Yes that is the color, thank you! I'm a bit of a newbie to H, still learning all the colors, leathers, etc!

It is a personal preference. But why don't you show us the wallet and go from there, maybe if others are excited about it you could get excited too, specially if you are doubtful right now. :thinking:

If you're not in love with it, then don't keep it. It's too much money for a wallet (you could even buy an H bag like Picotin/Evelyne/GP, etc. for that amount). Wait for a style and color that you really want.

I don't match my wallet color to my bags as I have way too many bags both H and non H in all kinds of colors but I only use one wallet for years at a time. I just get a color that I like. Hardly no one sees it but me and a cashier anyways. I've been pondering a Kelly long wallet too but am a little on a fence (ease of use) and I haven't found a color that I like. I passed on a blue electric K wallet in croc last Nov with slight regrets but for that amount I can get another K/B.

If you're not in love with it, then don't keep it. It's too much money for a wallet (you could buy an H bag like Picotin/Evelyne/GP, etc. for that amount). Wait for a style and color that suit you.

I don't match my wallet color to my bags as I have way too many bags in all kinds of colors but I only use one wallet and years at a time. I just get a color that I like. Hardly no one sees it but me and a cashier anyways.
Thanks Fab Fashion!!!!!

This is a expensive wallet
Unsure doubt uncertain
dont take the chance
Wallet will follow you for next few years at least
A wallet user must b happy comfy n proud
Happy wallet owner =good wealth and fortune
If u believe coz I do