Scarves Ode to Silk GM Scarves/Shawls

Hello everyone!

I've started adding a few 140cm silks to my collection. The fabric is dreamy and I hope we get some good weather soon so I can wear her soon.

Here's my humble contribution to the thread...Coup de Fouet cw09 Rose Buvard/Lilas/Vieus Rose. Muted colors of peach, cream, lilac and green with a rosy pink border.

I posted a pix in the "2014" thread and adding it for reference here.

Regards!

This coup de fouet fits you so well ! Love love those soft candy colours ! They remind me of this wonderful and aesthetic movie Marie Antoinette by Sofia Coppola 💜💙💗 beautiful !!

Just for the record, pics of Grand Manege giant silk in c/w 04, saumon/orange/blue.

I did NOT keep this one, the border is more orange than pink and the interior orange and rust just didn't work for me. But it's very pretty!

(The bags it's with are Flamingo, Rose Jaipur and Parchemin)

Attachments

• DSCN2636.jpg
    DSCN2636.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,192
  • DSCN2640.jpg
    DSCN2640.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,192
QUESTION:

Is there a difference between the Summer Twill and the Twill Plume 140cm scarf?

I purchased the Lahlbai "Summer Twill" a few seasons back and it is a very thin, very lightweight, GM scarf.

Now Hermes calls these giant silk scarves "Twill Plume".

Can anybody tell me if the newer patterns (Marcelina, Coup du Fouet, Folklore, Grand Manege, etc.,) are made from the same weight and thickness of silk as the Lalbhai? Or are then now heavier, like the 90 cm silk twills? There must be something that changed, because they changed the name.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can definitively answer this question for me!

QUESTION:

I purchased the Lahlbai "Summer Twill" a few seasons back and it is a very thin, very lightweight, GM scarf.

Can anybody tell me if the newer patterns (Marcelina, Coup du Fouet, Folklore, Grand Manege, etc.,) are made from the same weight and thickness of silk as the Lalbhai? Or are then now heavier, like the 90 cm silk twills? There must be something that changed, because they changed the name.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can definitively answer this question for me!

I have the Lalbhai and an Equater and a Marcelina GM summer silk. The latter two are both a heavier silk than the Lalbhai GM though definitely a different weave than the 90 carres.

QUESTION:

I find the Twill Plume stiffer than summer twills. But maybe this is due to the design. My summer twills are definitely smoother than Twills Plume

QUESTION:

Can anybody tell me if the newer patterns (Marcelina, Coup du Fouet, Folklore, Grand Manege, etc.,) are made from the same weight and thickness of silk as the Lalbhai? Or are they now heavier, like the 90 cm silk twills? There must be something that changed, because they changed the name.

scarfmischief, the newer giant silks are 6 grams heavier than the original Lalbahi giant silk GMs.

A new silk 90 weighs 70g. so I assume they must be made of heavier silk than the 140 at 86g.

(The silk dip dye GMs weigh 156g. or almost twice as much as the Lalbahi. Perhaps they're made of the same silk as the 90 squares?)

Below, pictures and tags from the original Lalbhai, an Equateur bought last year, a brand new Folklore, and a GM silk Dip Dye. HTH. :smile:

Attachments

• DSCN8560.jpg
    DSCN8560.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,107
  • DSCN1006.jpg
    DSCN1006.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 1,125
  • DSCN8405.jpg
    DSCN8405.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,121
  • DSCN2509.jpg
    DSCN2509.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,112
  • DSCN2821.jpg
    DSCN2821.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,108
  • DSCN0568.jpg
    DSCN0568.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DSCN8566.jpg
    DSCN8566.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,106
  • bdegtag.jpg
    bdegtag.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,106
scarfmischief, the newer giant silks are 6 grams heavier than the original Lalbahi giant silk GMs.

A new silk 90 weighs 70g. so I assume they must be made of heavier silk than the 140 at 86g.

(The silk dip dye GMs weigh 156g. or almost twice as much as the Lalbahi. Perhaps they're made of the same silk as the 90 squares?)

Below, pictures and tags from the original Lalbhai, an Equateur bought last year, a brand new Folklore, and a GM silk Dip Dye. HTH. :smile:

Wow Pierina, thanks so much for that exact information. You've got a scale - impressive! You are one serious collector, I must say!

I wish they would have kept the weight at the Summer Twill weight, I really like the slinky-ness of the Summer Twill!

Oh my, the labhai is to die for !! I am sooo sad I missed it :sad:( now have to wait hopefully for a reissue...sigh...

Just for the record, pics of Grand Manege giant silk in c/w 04, saumon/orange/blue.

I did NOT keep this one, the border is more orange than pink and the interior orange and rust just didn't work for me. But it's very pretty!

(The bags it's with are Flamingo, Rose Jaipur and Parchemin)

This is definitely a gorgy silk but I too had trouble with theorange and rust. Whew... not a good look.

P, we (as in I ;)) need more mod shots of your Vert Folklore hunny!!! I'm swooning and I need a push over the edge! The white hem has me seriously craving this for Spring!

Wow Pierina, thanks so much for that exact information. You've got a scale - impressive! You are one serious collector, I must say!

I wish they would have kept the weight at the Summer Twill weight, I really like the slinky-ness of the Summer Twill!

I found the scale in the kitchen. :smile: The Folklore is pretty slinky, it might be worth your while to try to see it in person. I wondered if the weight of the Lalbhai was almost insufficient to print on, perhaps it was difficult to keep such a large slippery piece of silk stable? All in all, I find it's a very useful format and am glad that they came out with it.

Oh my, the labhai is to die for !! I am sooo sad I missed it :sad:( now have to wait hopefully for a reissue...sigh...

Thank you, ayala_jessica, you can also keep an eye on resellers like Jan at Its-All-Goode or ebay. :smile:

This is definitely a gorgy silk but I too had trouble with theorange and rust. Whew... not a good look.

I know! Even though the outer border was definitely oranger than the online pictures I thought it might work - until I came to that rust and th ebright orange center. Maybe someone with TT's coloring would look goegoues in it? It's a beautiful shawl but just not for us. :smile:

P, we (as in I ;)) need more mod shots of your Vert Folklore hunny!!! I'm swooning and I need a push over the edge! The white hem has me seriously craving this for Spring!

Ok, here you go, IF, pictures of the white edge up closer and of the shawl worn with black. Which works even though the large dark areas of the design are deep navy.

Attachments

• DSCN2848.jpg
    DSCN2848.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,036
  • DSCN2827.jpg
    DSCN2827.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,060
Thank you, ayala_jessica, you can also keep an eye on resellers like Jan at Its-All-Goode or ebay. :smile:

Ok, here you go, IF, pictures of the white edge up closer and of the shawl worn with black. Which works even though the large dark areas of the design are deep navy.
oh pierina, u wear your Folklore so well! I begin to wonder if I should get yours as well! Yours is very springy.It looks so good when worn!