What is the difference between these two? (Hamilton)

Aug 14, 2013
Hello!
So I was browsing the MK site and I found this bag and fell in love. Normally I don't like the slouchy look but this one just looks beautiful. I love that it is the small size and has the key with the lock! But my confusion is why does it seem to be a different bag than the other small hamilton they have on their website? They're the exact same dimensions but the other one just seems prettier to me. The price is different also.

(Btw, does anyone know where can I find the white one? It's sold out on the MK site :sad:)

Bag in question: http://www.michaelkors.com/p/MICHAE...-Small-Messenger-Bag-Vanilla-/prod7680002___/

Bag on MK site: http://www.michaelkors.com/p/MICHAE...26Ntt%3Dsmall%2Bhamilton%26_requestid%3D10347

Attachments

• mk1.jpg
    mk1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 741
  • mk2.jpg
    mk2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 881
Trust me, go with the Vanilla. The second one is awkward. I've seen it in person. I like that the vanilla has handles too. The second is Saffiano.

I agree, the Vanilla is gorgeous! But I am a fan of slouchy leather. In my opinion, the Saffiano bag just looks incomplete without the top handles, and it says that the shoulder strap is detachable on both of them you could carry the Vanilla one by the handles if you decide to remove the shoulder strap so it's more versatile. Clear winner to me!

I agree, the Vanilla is gorgeous! But I am a fan of slouchy leather. In my opinion, the Saffiano bag just looks incomplete without the top handles, and it says that the shoulder strap is detachable on both of them you could carry the Vanilla one by the handles if you decide to remove the shoulder strap so it's more versatile. Clear winner to me!

Is Vanilla the name of the bag color or the type of leather? I'm so confused haha. I really really want the white bag, it's so much prettier in my opinion. Another problem I'm having is I can't seem to find that bag anywhere online :sad:

Is Vanilla the name of the bag color or the type of leather? I'm so confused haha. I really really want the white bag, it's so much prettier in my opinion. Another problem I'm having is I can't seem to find that bag anywhere online :sad:

Vanilla's just the color, the type of leather is usually referred to as pebbled on here (vs saffiano). I haven't seen that bag online either... I hope you're able to find one, it's gorgeous!

Vanilla's just the color, the type of leather is usually referred to as pebbled on here (vs saffiano). I haven't seen that bag online either... I hope you're able to find one, it's gorgeous!

I've checked neiman marcus, nordstrom, macys and I haven't seen it on any of them :sad: honestly it's kinda a deal breaker for me now.. if I don't find that style of the Hamilton then I don't think I'll get a Hamilton at all because it doesn't seem worth the price to me unless it's the pebbled one! You love what you love, you know? :P

I've checked neiman marcus, nordstrom, macys and I haven't seen it on any of them :sad: honestly it's kinda a deal breaker for me now.. if I don't find that style of the Hamilton then I don't think I'll get a Hamilton at all because it doesn't seem worth the price to me unless it's the pebbled one! You love what you love, you know? :P

Maybe they just don't make them anymore? It's a shame because it's so much cuter than the one that is available, go figure.
And I know exactly what you mean, I have two E/W Hamiltons in pebbled leather. Saffiano is too hard for me, I don't want my leather to feel like plastic. Is the E/W too big for what you're looking for? I love it.

Maybe they just don't make them anymore? It's a shame because it's so much cuter than the one that is available, go figure.
And I know exactly what you mean, I have two E/W Hamiltons in pebbled leather. Saffiano is too hard for me, I don't want my leather to feel like plastic. Is the E/W too big for what you're looking for? I love it.

I'm really new to the world of bags and to MK so I'm still trying to figure out what means what haha. But I have an MK bag that I believe is saffiano and while I adore my bag, I am sorta wishing it was a softer leather. I'm not sure what E/W means, does that mean East West? That is referring to a certain collection right? I'm so lost haha sorry. I really like the small sized Hamilton's I'm only 5' tall and don't carry big bags often.

I'm really new to the world of bags and to MK so I'm still trying to figure out what means what haha. But I have an MK bag that I believe is saffiano and while I adore my bag, I am sorta wishing it was a softer leather. I'm not sure what E/W means, does that mean East West? That is referring to a certain collection right? I'm so lost haha sorry. I really like the small sized Hamilton's I'm only 5' tall and don't carry big bags often.

No worries, I'm sure you'll catch on fast! :biggrin:
Yes, E/W is East West. The Hamilton sizes that I'm more familiar with are the N/S (North South) and E/W. The N/S is too huge for me, so I prefer the E/W. It's 12-3/4" W x 9" H x 5-1/2" D so it's significantly bigger than the messengers that you're looking at, but the Hamilton is my favorite MK style so I think it's perfect lol I hope you're able to find something that you like!

No worries, I'm sure you'll catch on fast! :biggrin:
Yes, E/W is East West. The Hamilton sizes that I'm more familiar with are the N/S (North South) and E/W. The N/S is too huge for me, so I prefer the E/W. It's 12-3/4" W x 9" H x 5-1/2" D so it's significantly bigger than the messengers that you're looking at, but the Hamilton is my favorite MK style so I think it's perfect lol I hope you're able to find something that you like!

Ahh, I see! Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
I'm going downtown tomorrow so I'll ask an SA if they have this bag or know if it's still being made.

Anyone may correct me if I am wrong but this is to my understanding.

As of now, there are 3 sizes to the Hamilton bags.

The smallest of them is the Hamilton Messenger. The Vanilla one which you posted above. It is really very tiny as seen in the photo here.

lazyfriday6.jpg

Next up is called the East West Satchel. It is a medium sized bag, rectangle in shape. It fits quite a bit example if you have a long wallet and makeup bag.

image_zps98d6863e.jpg

Lastly, the biggest of them all is the North South Satchel which is square-esk in shape. It is big and definitely fits a lot.

20120119-_14E0017.jpg

If you are planning to get the pebbled leather, it will definitely slouch but it just adds more character to the bag. Honestly to me, the Saffiano looks a bit stiff but it does look nice too. I hope it helps.

Last edited:
No luck in spotting a size small in the slouchy leather :sad: ugh.
My bf was rushing me to get back to the car (parking was running out) so I didn't get a chance to ask if maybe it was in the back. I'll call tomorrow.

I'm wondering if they only make the saffiano version now.
If you look on the very first page of the Hamilton Hotties Club House thread, the second post is pictures of a poster's Hamilton Messenger in Black pebbled leather, it's like the white one you posted. That post was from 2010 though so maybe it's an older style that they stopped making.

http://forum.purseblog.com/michael-kors/hamilton-hotties-clubhouse-639924.html