Cleansing balm or cleansing oil to remove makeup?

May 14, 2009
I have combo skin in the fall/winter/spring but more oily in the summer time. I'm debating on whether to try a cleansing balm to remove makeup or a cleansing oil.

In the past, I've used Shu Uemura's cleansing oils to remove my makeup. It worked great because it broke down the eye makeup etc really well and was easy to use. However, Shu Uemura is a bit pricey and I'd like some other good options..
Has anyone tried the Clinique Take the Day Off -Cleansing balm?

Any suggestions on your experiences using cleansing oils, cleansing waters, balms would be helpful. I've never used BioDerma cleansing water but I've heard great things about it..

I LOVE Bioderma. Since the first time I've used it I cannot live without it. I have sensitive acne prone skin, but it's never irritated or burned by skin even when it was at its most delicate condition. Before Bioderma I tried Lancome's cleansing water, but it wasn't as gentle as Bioderma. I can't recommend the product enough.

As for cleansing oils, DHC's Cleansing Oil has been compared to Shu Uemura's as a cheaper alternative. It's been around for quite some time as I remember my mom having a bottle when I was younger.

HTH!

Yes! I highly recommend Take the Day Off by Clinique! Removes all my eye makeup, which is waterproof! For reference, I don't use the liquid - I use the balm type. I've used it everyday since last June. I've got about a month or two left in there.

I follow up with La Mer cleansing gel on my clarisonic and then Clinique toner. This routine definitely removes all my makeup.

Yes! I highly recommend Take the Day Off by Clinique! Removes all my eye makeup, which is waterproof! For reference, I don't use the liquid - I use the balm type. I've used it everyday since last June. I've got about a month or two left in there.

I follow up with La Mer cleansing gel on my clarisonic and then Clinique toner. This routine definitely removes all my makeup.

Thumbs up on the Clinique Take the Day Off balm. I've tried SO many cleansing oils and this is still my go-to!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :biggrin:
Has anyone tried the Koh Gen Do cleansing water or their makeup wipes? I have read and heard many good things about the brand for it being great for sensitive skin and it won't break you out.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :biggrin:
Has anyone tried the Koh Gen Do cleansing water or their makeup wipes? I have read and heard many good things about the brand for it being great for sensitive skin and it won't break you out.

I tried the cleansing water, and it is okay. It was not bad, but I do not plan on buying another bottle any time soon. It cleans well, does not leave anything on the face, has no scent. It is also very refreshing. It did not break me out. I used up a small bottle in 1 month. I usually use the 2 phase oily make up remover, and wipe my face with KGD after. (I feel like KGD does not remove my waterproof makeup as well as the 2 phase one). I bought Bioderma to try out since i heard a lot of good things about it.

I tried the cleansing water, and it is okay. It was not bad, but I do not plan on buying another bottle any time soon. It cleans well, does not leave anything on the face, has no scent. It is also very refreshing. It did not break me out. I used up a small bottle in 1 month. I usually use the 2 phase oily make up remover, and wipe my face with KGD after. (I feel like KGD does not remove my waterproof makeup as well as the 2 phase one). I bought Bioderma to try out since i heard a lot of good things about it.
Thanks for your info on Koh Gen Do cleansing water Anna1. Your comments were helpful since not a lot of people know about that product and I was on the fence about purchasing it.

If you're looking for something economical, I've been using Garnier Clean + Nourishing Cleansing oil. It works great! It rinses with water. It makes my skin fresh, clean, and smooth after I use it.

Thanks for your info on Koh Gen Do cleansing water Anna1. Your comments were helpful since not a lot of people know about that product and I was on the fence about purchasing it.

You r very welcome! I am looking for my perfect make up remover too :sad: oh, I tried GNC cleansing oil and it worked very well on my skin. I am also using Josie Maran cleansing oil now, I can't decide if i like it or not. It works well so far but my skin feels a bit dry after using it. I heard a lot about Clinique cleansing balm, but I feel like it's not very convenient for me (because it's in a jar). Also, why don't you go to sephora if u r in US, and ask them for samples? You can get almost anything there, try it out and choose what is best for you. Good luck!!

Sulwhasoo cleansing oil is good-you can get it on Ebay at a decent price and to me it lasts long. I personally love The History of Whoo Cleansing Balm but it is expensive. Both these oils work great on sensitive skin. My daughter has sensitive skin and it has been very hard finding products she does not have a reaction to.

I like DHC's cleansing oil. You can also use regular olive oil, but you'll need to followup with another cleanser afterwards.

I tried but wasn't a fan of the Bioderma micellar water.

I've tried the Josie Maran cleansing oil and I feel coconut oil works just as well. It breaks down all of my eye make up and I follow up with a gentle cleanser.

So this might sound crazy, but I've been using Trader Joe's Virgin Coconut oil to remove my makeup and cleanse my face and it's seriously the best. Before I was using Origins Clear Energy oil cleanser which I love too, but the coconut oil costs $5.99 and it melts into the skin and moisturizes and my skin has honestly never looked better.

Personally, I use Nivea body lotion to remove eye and face makeup before I cleanse with a foaming face wash. I know it sounds a bit weird, but it's really the original 'cold-cream' principle - inexpensive and very effective :yes: