Is she ok?

Sariwoo

Mar 15, 2013
Hi,

I am the proud owner of a 12 year old Golden Retriever. She has been with me since she was 5 weeks old and she is like a sister to me, we do everything together. I love her so much but lately I have been worried about her declining health. Let me explain.

She is 12 years old and has arthritis in her back legs from being hit by a car as a puppy, so it is hard for her to get up. Up until a few weeks ago, when I came home from school or wherever, she would bark as soon as she heard my car in the driveway, and be right at the front door waiting. Same goes if I had a friend over, as soon as she heard a car come down the driveway she would run to the door and start barking. Lately, she hasn't done anything. Nothing. I come to the door and she's laying down on her bed beside my basement stairs which is close to the front door, so I know she can still hear me.

I even ask her if she wants a cookie, (which she loves) but she won't get up, I have to say her name over and over for her to finally get up and follow me to get her cookie. I have given up sometimes and just brought it to her, she still eats it.

It just seems like she has no energy anymore, she barely gets up all she wants to do is lay down and be pet. This is seriously breaking my heart and I don't know if something is wrong with her or if she is just getting old. I have booked a vet appointment but other then that I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

I don't know that there is any advice I can give you, other than to get her over to the vet as soon as you can - for your own peace of mind. As our pets grow older, many of them just want to sleep (and eat) and snuggle. Your vet will be able to let you know if your pup is just slowing down. Big hugs, I know how worrying this is.

^ Yes this is true. My first dog started sleeping a lot around the age of 10 and passed away at age 16. Lol he never refused food though. Always good appetite. Just take her to a vet. Hopefully your vet can explain. Hugs

Poor baby :shucks: I have 2 golden retrievers so this hit home as well. My girl is 11 years old, will be 12 in September and my boy will be 10 in 2 weeks. Even though my girl still gets up and moves around, goes outside to bark, lay in the sun, etc. she definitely would prefer to just lay around most of the time and she does have problems getting up. I think it's just a matter of old age and I'm sure her legs/ hips probably hurt from getting older and the accident which may be why she doesn't make the effort to get up when she hears you.

I keep canine aspirin on hand at home for when my girl starts acting like she is uncomfortable I give her a few of those, but maybe your vet will have some other advice as well. If they don't, ask for the approval to give her aspirin, which should definitely help ease her discomfort. Just like people that need pain meds and aspirin from time to time, dogs do as well...they just don't have the ability to say something.

Good luck, I know how hard it is to have an ailing pet and I dread the day when mine gets to the point where she just can't get around anymore.

Sounds like she is just starting to feel her age. The vet can put her on rimadyl for the arthritis, or you can feed her treats with glucosamine to help her joints. Lots of :hugs: to you both.

It does sound like her arthritis is advancing. Hopefully the vet will put her on some pain meds and joint supplements to make her feel better. You might be amazed at how much more herself she will be with the proper treatment. Please let us know how she does at the vet.

I don't know that there is any advice I can give you, other than to get her over to the vet as soon as you can - for your own peace of mind. As our pets grow older, many of them just want to sleep (and eat) and snuggle. Your vet will be able to let you know if your pup is just slowing down. Big hugs, I know how worrying this is.

^ Yes this is true. My first dog started sleeping a lot around the age of 10 and passed away at age 16. Lol he never refused food though. Always good appetite. Just take her to a vet. Hopefully your vet can explain. Hugs

Poor baby :shucks: I have 2 golden retrievers so this hit home as well. My girl is 11 years old, will be 12 in September and my boy will be 10 in 2 weeks. Even though my girl still gets up and moves around, goes outside to bark, lay in the sun, etc. she definitely would prefer to just lay around most of the time and she does have problems getting up. I think it's just a matter of old age and I'm sure her legs/ hips probably hurt from getting older and the accident which may be why she doesn't make the effort to get up when she hears you.

I keep canine aspirin on hand at home for when my girl starts acting like she is uncomfortable I give her a few of those, but maybe your vet will have some other advice as well. If they don't, ask for the approval to give her aspirin, which should definitely help ease her discomfort. Just like people that need pain meds and aspirin from time to time, dogs do as well...they just don't have the ability to say something.

Good luck, I know how hard it is to have an ailing pet and I dread the day when mine gets to the point where she just can't get around anymore.

Sounds like she is just starting to feel her age. The vet can put her on rimadyl for the arthritis, or you can feed her treats with glucosamine to help her joints. Lots of :hugs: to you both.

It does sound like her arthritis is advancing. Hopefully the vet will put her on some pain meds and joint supplements to make her feel better. You might be amazed at how much more herself she will be with the proper treatment. Please let us know how she does at the vet.

Thank you all for commenting and sending hugs. My baby, (her name is Gracie by the way) seems to be a bit better today after I gave her some doggie aspirin. We went for a walk today too and she seemed to enjoy it. I have a vet appointment later so I will tell you all the details. Thank you all so much and I will keep you posted! This is a picture of Gracie after our walk today, such a sleepy girl. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 1489040_10153859633260417_53166899_n.jpg
    1489040_10153859633260417_53166899_n.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 156
Thank you all for commenting and sending hugs. My baby, (her name is Gracie by the way) seems to be a bit better today after I gave her some doggie aspirin. We went for a walk today too and she seemed to enjoy it. I have a vet appointment later so I will tell you all the details. Thank you all so much and I will keep you posted! This is a picture of Gracie after our walk today, such a sleepy girl. :biggrin:

Gracie is beautiful! I hope your vet visit went well.

She's beautiful. It's so hard to watch our pets age. If it's a sudden change, that would worry me more than if this has been a gradual change. Your vet is the best person to ask. Hope she will be ok.

What a beautiful girl you have there. It's hard to see our babies age. It could just be her arthritis acting up making it hard for her to get around especially if you've had crazy weather changes like rain or cold. Maybe her hearing is going too and she doesn't hear you coming home or asking if she wants treats. A trip to the vet will eliminate anything you are worrying about and they could recommend joint/pain meds that will help her.

What a beautiful girl you have there. It's hard to see our babies age. It could just be her arthritis acting up making it hard for her to get around especially if you've had crazy weather changes like rain or cold. Maybe her hearing is going too and she doesn't hear you coming home or asking if she wants treats. A trip to the vet will eliminate anything you are worrying about and they could recommend joint/pain meds that will help her.

She's beautiful. It's so hard to watch our pets age. If it's a sudden change, that would worry me more than if this has been a gradual change. Your vet is the best person to ask. Hope she will be ok.

What a sweet little face. I hope she is feeling better soon.

Gracie is beautiful! I hope your vet visit went well.
Thank you all for commenting. So I went to the vet today with Gracie and found out the reason she has been so lazy is because she has an ear infection! :nogood: I didn't even know and now I feel so bad for just assuming she could always hear me. He gave her some meds and told me that her arthritis could be acting up as well because I am in Canada where it is freezing, (especially this winter). My poor baby, she doesn't deserve this. I gave her her meds with some cheese this evening, she took them right away so lets hope she gets better ASAP. Thank you all for your support! :hugs: Here is Gracie after our visit, resting. :smile:

Attachments

• 1964784_10153860593475417_1338649014_n.jpg
    1964784_10153860593475417_1338649014_n.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 138
Hi,

I am the proud owner of a 12 year old Golden Retriever. She has been with me since she was 5 weeks old and she is like a sister to me, we do everything together. I love her so much but lately I have been worried about her declining health. Let me explain.

She is 12 years old and has arthritis in her back legs from being hit by a car as a puppy, so it is hard for her to get up. Up until a few weeks ago, when I came home from school or wherever, she would bark as soon as she heard my car in the driveway, and be right at the front door waiting. Same goes if I had a friend over, as soon as she heard a car come down the driveway she would run to the door and start barking. Lately, she hasn't done anything. Nothing. I come to the door and she's laying down on her bed beside my basement stairs which is close to the front door, so I know she can still hear me.

I even ask her if she wants a cookie, (which she loves) but she won't get up, I have to say her name over and over for her to finally get up and follow me to get her cookie. I have given up sometimes and just brought it to her, she still eats it.

It just seems like she has no energy anymore, she barely gets up all she wants to do is lay down and be pet. This is seriously breaking my heart and I don't know if something is wrong with her or if she is just getting old. I have booked a vet appointment but other then that I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

I have a dog with similar issues, and we have him on a few meds and joint chews. I can't say he's 100% but he can get around great and that's enough for me! It is heartbreaking when your pet isn't well, and my Lab is only 9yo. He survived mouth cancer as a pup and now the HD/Arthritis.

Hope you're pup feels better soon!!! And bring on spring!!

I am glad to hear you found out what is wron with your puppy and she is soon on the mend. You might want to move her bed off those tiles though. They are still cold to sit on even with a blanket underneath and will effect her arthritis. Definitely get her on some glucosemine and fishoil tablets for her joints. I have one cat on fish oil for his back and it has helped heaps. Goodluck

Gracie is so beautiful! My golden, Remy, also has hip problems, he's only 4. Goldens are more likely to have hip dysplasia and he struggles with that. We've got him going to a doggie physical therapist. He does underwater treadmill sessions, laser therapy, and balance balls to strengthen those hip muscles. I've seen dogs of all breeds and ages go to the same place we go to. It can be expensive, our sessions are $60/week, but it's so worth it in seeing how strong his hips and legs have gotten.

I think it's great that you're still walking her! A body in motion stays in motion and I'm always sure to keep my pup moving. She may get sore from time to time, and that's fine. Just take a day or two off.

I hope her ear heals up quickly as well. XOXO to you and your beautiful girl!