What to do when an item appears to be lost in the mail?

lilPinkBunnies

Fuzzy Wuzzy
Jan 8, 2014
I have an item I purchased that should've been delivered on Feb. 18th. According to the tracking number, it never left the USPS sorting facility in New York City. Where do I go from here? Do I file a lost item claim with USPS? What does eBay do in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

First of all, ignore the "should have been delivered on _____" date; USPS has been really behind.

Where is the item coming from? If it's coming from overseas, it will take longer for it to leave a sorting facility and show up at a local post office.

If the item doesn't show up, you'll need to contact the seller, and the seller will be responsible for refunds / lost item claims.

First of all, ignore the "should have been delivered on _____" date; USPS has been really behind.

Where is the item coming from? If it's coming from overseas, it will take longer for it to leave a sorting facility and show up at a local post office.

If the item doesn't show up, you'll need to contact the seller, and the seller will be responsible for refunds / lost item claims.

Thanks for responding. It's coming from NYC to Denver, CO. I contacted the seller and they told me that I would have to contact USPS because they fulfilled their responsibility by providing tracking. I was wondering about this because they are the ones who physically mailed it out and I don't know if they put my address on the package correctly, etc.

If you file an INR the seller will have to show proof of delivery-----contrary to what she thinks she is responsible. If she can't you will be refunded. It really is a cut and dried process.

Thanks for responding. It's coming from NYC to Denver, CO. I contacted the seller and they told me that I would have to contact USPS because they fulfilled their responsibility by providing tracking. I was wondering about this because they are the ones who physically mailed it out and I don't know if they put my address on the package correctly, etc.

If you file an INR the seller will have to show proof of delivery-----contrary to what she thinks she is responsible. If she can't you will be refunded. It really is a cut and dried process.

^^ This.

Also, when was the item shipped, and how was it shipped?

It was shipped USPS with tracking, on Feb. 13th. The Last update was on the 13th; it was dispatched to the sort facility in NY, NY. Also, what is an INR?

Sorry, I meant, was it shipped first class / parcel / priority...?

INR = Item Not Received. If it doesn't arrived, that's the type of claim that you'll file with eBay or PayPal.

First class can take up to two weeks, so I wouldn't worry about this yet. If it hasn't shown up by this time next week, I'd contact the seller again; if she's still not responsive at that point, you can open a claim to get your money back.

I didn't think first class could take this long.....are you sure your not thinking of parcel post?