Elephant who hadn't met another of her kind for 37 yrs entwines trunk w/ new friend

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
Soooo precious!!! :love:

When Mila met Mary: Elephant who had not met another of her kind for 37 years gently entwines her trunk with new friend in video that will melt even the hardest of hearts

• 41-year-old elephant meets another elephant for the first time in 37 years
  • Animals gently entwine trucks to greet each other
  • Mila relocated after keeper was accidentally crushed to death
A 41-year-old elephant has been introduced to its another of its kind for the first time in over three decades.
Mila met Mary, the leader of the herd at San Diego Zoo, after being kept as a lone elephant in a circus for over 30 years and then taken in by Franklin Zoo in New Zealand.

Video footage of the heart-warming meeting shows the African elephants entwining their trunks through a wire fence.

article-2564477-1BB21C0A00000578-136_634x422.jpg

Kindred spirits: Mila meets herd leader Mary at San Diego Zoo after being kept as a lone elephant in a circus for over 30 years

It is common for elephants to communicate by touching and entwining their trunks, according to African Elephant expert Tim Fullman's website. He writes that trunks 'play an important role in smell and that rubbing trunks in greeting may be partially to smell each other to gain information.'

Mila's former keeper Helen Schofield, who was crushed to death by Mila in an accident in 2012, had always hoped the elephant would one day be returned to a herd of its own kind.

The tragic incident sparked a fundraising effort by supporters of the zoo, who hoped to raise enough money for Mila to be relocated to a zoo with that had other African elephants.
The supporters raised $1.5 million, enough for Mila to be moved from New Zealand to San Diego Zoo.

article-2564477-1BB21C0400000578-95_634x408.jpg

Friendship grows: Mila entwines trunks with the matriach of the herd Mary in a heart-warming scene

article-2564477-1BB21C1C00000578-898_634x507.jpg

Touching trunks: It is common for elephants to communicate to each other by touching and entwining their trunks

article-2564477-1BB21C2600000578-59_634x380.jpg

Elephant talk: Trunks play an important role in smell and this greeting may be to smell each other to gain information

San Diego Zoo's African elephant herd includes six African and Indian elephants ranging in age from 33 to 49 years old.
Lead keeper at the zoo Ron Ringer says that so far, Mila and Mary are really hitting it off.

'Mary walked up to Mila and they both started eating from the same tree,' Mr Ringer said. 'This is a great behavior to see because they were both calm and accepting of each other and it’s one of the types of things we look for with animal introductions.'

article-2564477-1BB21C4400000578-412_634x499.jpg

Accidental death: Mila's former keeper Helen Schofield was crushed to death by the elephant in an accident in 2012

Zoo keepers felt the best way to introduce Mila to the herd was to start with a one-on-one with the matriach.

'In late January, we gave Mila the first opportunity to meet another elephant with limited interaction. We decided that Mary was the best option, given she is a dominant elephant in the herd, is relatively calm, and has a good track record with meeting newcomers.'
'Being excited, nervous, scared, aggressive, or submissive were all possibilities we could have expected to observe,' zookeeper Robbie Clark said.
'Mary was curious of the newbie while Mila was surprised to find something as big as her on the other side of the wall!'

Elephants are such wonderful creatures. I was listening to a report on KPBS the the other day that said if ivory hunting continues they could be extinct in the wild in 10 years. All due to Chinese demand for ivory. This breaks my heart. I wish the Chinese POV could be changed. As long as they are willing to pay big $ the poaching will continue:sad:

I give a small donation to the African Wildlife Foundation each year. Not sure what else we all can do.
Thanks for these beautiful photos.

While African herds are holding their own its the Asian elephants (Mary is an Asian) that are in desperate need of help and highly endangered. In addition to poaching their habitat is being destroyed every day and Palm Oil farms are just one big part of the reason. Please don't buy ANY products that use palm oil. Orangutans, rhinos and many other Asian species are suffering as well.

Thankyou for posting!
I wish circuses using animals were banned.:tdown:
It's horrible the abuse the animals go through
for 'entertainment'.

An Apology to Elephants is a great documentary about the mistreatment
of elephants..
sad to think the abuse is still happening and people are still
supporting it by buy tickets and taking their kids to witness it.:cursing:

I'll never understand this.:sad:

shoo, I had no idea. Thanks for that information.

I'm just scratching the ugly surface too. Its very heartbreaking all the things that are happening to these animals in the "wild". I put "wild" in quotes because there is no more wild really. The reservations and so called "protected" areas these animals live in cannot be completely patrolled adequately and poachers get inside all the time. The reservations are getting smaller and smaller too so food/water becomes a problem. Some elephants get into farms because they are looking for food and the farmers end up poisoning or shooting them. They are considered "pests". I understand the farmers need to make a living but cooperation between them, the government and the wildlife rangers needs to improve.

This is SUCH a great story (so many sad elephant stories recently). Good luck to both elephants and their new found friendship :hbeat:

Of course, I was very sad to hear of Mila's keeper's death. I am sure Milla was also heart-broken. It's great that something positive came from such a tragic accident.

While African herds are holding their own its the Asian elephants (Mary is an Asian) that are in desperate need of help and highly endangered. In addition to poaching their habitat is being destroyed every day and Palm Oil farms are just one big part of the reason. Please don't buy ANY products that use palm oil. Orangutans, rhinos and many other Asian species are suffering as well.

This 100%

Thankyou for posting!
for 'entertainment'.

of elephants..

Wow. What an awesome story. Elephants are a symbol of good luck in my culture. Always grew up with elephant statute and whatnot in the house. For this reason you mentioned about the circus is why we stopped taking our kids. For the last 7 years we have refused to get tickets to see the Circus. :smile:. Thanks for the info on the palm oil. I had no idea. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

Thankyou for posting!
for 'entertainment'.

of elephants..

True that! I feel exactly the same! :tup:

Elephants are such wonderful creatures. I was listening to a report on KPBS the the other day that said if ivory hunting continues they could be extinct in the wild in 10 years. All due to Chinese demand for ivory. This breaks my heart. I wish the Chinese POV could be changed. As long as they are willing to pay big $ the poaching will continue:sad:

I give a small donation to the African Wildlife Foundation each year. Not sure what else we all can do.
Thanks for these beautiful photos.
Urgh! I hate poachers! I wish they would all be tortured to death like the way they kill animals! I also hate how some Chinese still use ancient medicine that involves killing animals. We had a a similar situation here in the Philippines, there was a big demand for geckos in China as they believed that it was a cure for cancer, Our ecosystem and the number of geckos were almost destroyed as they were buying and smuggling them out of our country, Luckily, our government caught up and were able to put a stop to it.. I really wish they would see that killing animals was not the answer. If only wishes could come true. :sad:

That poor elephant having not seen another elephant in almost 4 decades.

Draining the bile from bears is another horrendous Asian practice. Utterly sickening.

That poor elephant having not seen another elephant in almost 4 decades.

Draining the bile from bears is another horrendous Asian practice. Utterly sickening.
Yes. That is terrible! The Asian black bear is close to extinction because of this practice. If only there were more animal rights here in Asia, we could better protect the welfare of animals, but sadly there are only a few who fight for their rights. Such a pity as our continent is so rich with species too. I feel for them, I feel depressed every time I come across such news.