Question about USPS Tracking/Signature Confirmation

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
Hi everyone,

I recently sold an item on eBay and sent it with Signature Confirmation. This morning when I checked the delivery status on USPS.com, the tracking update stated that on 2/12 at 9:00 AM the package was out for delivery; at 11:00 PM the status changed to "Delivery status not updated." My question is, if the delivery status never gets updated to "delivered" can my buyer win an INR claim?

Thanks!

They can, but the status probably will change. I had this happen last week due to the bad weather - it had been scheduled for delivery, but didn't end up getting delivered until two days later.

Does anyone know what this means?

"NO AUTHORIZED RECIPIENT AVAILABLE"

This was what I saw when I checked the USPS tracking for another item I sold last week. This was a higher ticket item so I am very nervous right now.

By the way, the tracking number on the first item I asked about is still showing "Delivery status not updated."

I don't think I can handle selling on eBay... it's way too stressful!

Does anyone know what this means?

"NO AUTHORIZED RECIPIENT AVAILABLE"

This was what I saw when I checked the USPS tracking for another item I sold last week. This was a higher ticket item so I am very nervous right now.

By the way, the tracking number on the first item I asked about is still showing "Delivery status not updated."

I don't think I can handle selling on eBay... it's way too stressful!

No Authorized Recipient available means that they left a delivery notice because no one was there to sign for it.

If the first package still hasn't updated, you can call USPS to ask what the deal is. I would not advise messaging the buyer though, just in case the package was delivered - no point in pointing out that the tracking didn't update.

No Authorized Recipient available means that they left a delivery notice because no one was there to sign for it.

If the first package still hasn't updated, you can call USPS to ask what the deal is. I would not advise messaging the buyer though, just in case the package was delivered - no point in pointing out that the tracking didn't update.

Thanks, that's good to know! Whew!

I was thinking the same thing regarding the first package. I will give her PO a call in the morning.

I am sorry to hijack this thread but this is sort of in the same vein and a quick question..what if the reverse happens? What if the delivery confirmation number shows delivered on the USPS website but the item never actually was delivered? Does the buyer have any recourse? Does the answer differ if there was to be sig confirmation and it never was gotten vs there never was sig confirmation ordered to begin with? Oh and what if this was a low price item without insurance? I am just trying to learn from this experience all around as it seems what used to count for something no longer does anymore with the post office and it is frustrating... Thank you.

"Delivery not updated" usually means (from my personal experience) that a signature was not collected at delivery. But the package was probably delivered.

That's what I was afraid of. What happens if the buyer decides to open an INR case?
First, I think you might be jumping the gun in worrying. Wait and see what happens. The buyer may receive it, leave feedback and everyone will live happily ever after.

If the tracking doesn't show s.c. for a $250+ item, you can lose a case so at that point, you can take the next step.

If you suspect that the package was delivered and not signed for (although s.c. was requested and paid for) and the buyer claims non-receipt, there are a couple of steps I'd suggest.

First, call the delivering/receiving p.o. in the buyer's zip. To get the direct phone number, go to usps.com, go to "find locations," refine search to "post offices" and put in zip code.

If several locations come up, choose one with the correct zip and instead of calling the general toll free number, click on the link for the city. It'll bring up the address and direct phone number. If they aren't the one that handles the mail for the recipient's zip, they should give you the correct direct number.

Call, describe what happened, give the tracking number and tell them that the recipient is claiming non-receipt and would they check with the carrier who scanned it.

Depending on what they tell you, you can send a note to the buyer letting her know that you called and spoke to the postmaster at the post office in her city located as (give address) and phone number (give direct number).

If she's scamming but learns you actually took steps to locate the "missing" item, it might just "show up."

I am sorry to hijack this thread but this is sort of in the same vein and a quick question..what if the reverse happens? What if the delivery confirmation number shows delivered on the USPS website but the item never actually was delivered? Does the buyer have any recourse? Does the answer differ if there was to be sig confirmation and it never was gotten vs there never was sig confirmation ordered to begin with? Oh and what if this was a low price item without insurance? I am just trying to learn from this experience all around as it seems what used to count for something no longer does anymore with the post office and it is frustrating... Thank you.
Generally, for an item with a total cost (including shipping) of < $250, if tracking shows delivery, the seller will win a non-receipt dispute.

For an insured package, if d.c. shows delivery, the post office won't honor a claim.

(Just a commentary: USPS is a PITA to deal with. Even in cases where tracking stops and there's no proof of delivery of an insured package, the post office doesn't make it easy to get paid for a claim. It took me nearly 3 months to get reimbursed for an insured loss and about 3 dozen phone calls and letters.)

First, I think you might be jumping the gun in worrying. Wait and see what happens. The buyer may receive it, leave feedback and everyone will live happily ever after.

If the tracking doesn't show s.c. for a $250+ item, you can lose a case so at that point, you can take the next step.

If you suspect that the package was delivered and not signed for (although s.c. was requested and paid for) and the buyer claims non-receipt, there are a couple of steps I'd suggest.

First, call the delivering/receiving p.o. in the buyer's zip. To get the direct phone number, go to usps.com, go to "find locations," refine search to "post offices" and put in zip code.

If several locations come up, choose one with the correct zip and instead of calling the general toll free number, click on the link for the city. It'll bring up the address and direct phone number. If they aren't the one that handles the mail for the recipient's zip, they should give you the correct direct number.

Call, describe what happened, give the tracking number and tell them that the recipient is claiming non-receipt and would they check with the carrier who scanned it.

Depending on what they tell you, you can send a note to the buyer letting her know that you called and spoke to the postmaster at the post office in her city located as (give address) and phone number (give direct number).

If she's scamming but learns you actually took steps to locate the "missing" item, it might just "show up."

Thanks so much, BB! I will definitely keep your advice in mind should I need to dispute a claim. The item sold for under $200 so I did not need to purchase SC. I just added it for peace of mind. I guess I ended up shooting myself in the foot while trying to protect myself. :shucks:

What I find horrifying is that Sig Confirmation doesn't mean that it's the package's intended recipient who has to sign--anyone can sign for it . (I don't mean faking the addressee's name, I mean that any name can sign for the package.)

From USPS: "The Signature Confirmation&#8482; Form gives you the benefits of Delivery Confirmation&#8482; &#8212; with an added level of security by requiring a signature from the person who accepts your package. " Thanks, USPS!:cursing:

Last edited: