Mulberry Share Watch!

I feel quite sad about Mulberry I'm sure this isn't what Roger Saul and his wife envisaged when they started the brand.

For the last few days I have tried really hard (I have now worked out) to fall in love with another brand as all the controversy with Mulberry was putting me off a bit.

My designer bag habit started in 1990 when I bought my first LV (which I still own). I bought the odd Mulberry here and there starting with a small congo Zinia which I loved, but didn't really fall in love. For the last few years I have abandoned LV and exclusively loved Mulberry (apart form the odd Le Pliage here and there!) Whereas I completely disagree wholeheartedly with the regular price hikes and the muddle there seems to be at the top regarding direction I still love my Mulberries and enjoy carrying them. They tick all the boxes for me and I seem to be lucky in that I have had nothing but excellent experiences in store, in outlets and from online sales and customer services, despite being quite a demanding customer (so my DH tells me, often in a very embarrassed way!) I have also had no quality issues either so maybe this is clouding my judgement a little. I'm sure if I had had any hassle then I would probably think differently :smile:

This may be idealistic and probably not the most financially sensible way to look at it but I see Mulberry as going through a bit of a crisis anbd a down time. Mulberry has been with me for a good few years and its like a friend who needs a bit of help through a tough time. I know its been brought on by the change in direction\management but I'd like Mulberry to come through it and see that they need to return to their best market (like the Roxanne, Phoebe etc days). I would hate to see it fail completely and be another originally good brand which disappears :sad:
Hope that made some sense??

Yes I feel similar :tup: I really love my Mulberry bags and have far more Mulberry than any other brand but I have bought at sensible prices. I haven't had any bad experiences and I have always found customer services to be excellent. Neither have I had any major issues with my bags.

However I definitely wouldn't pay the horrendous prices that are now being asked. This year, other than a scarf and gloves my only Mulberry purchase was a medium Lily in the sale. In previous sales I have always been temped by more than one Mulberry...........and sat in anticipation for hours waiting for the sale to be launched online :graucho: Instead I purchased a Balenciaga town with a good pre-sale discount. I felt driven to look elsewhere because of the prices and I got far better value for my money elsewhere.

They are obviously not going to drop their prices but I bet they will have to heavily discount in the sales. For me this means I shall just be happy and enjoy the Mulbs I have. We all have different tastes and maybe some of the new styles will grow on me but for now I am not interested. The Bays shoulder is too fiddly, the zip tote too bulky and they are yet to make a Primrose or a small Suffolk to tempt me...............................so for now I am consolidating :amazed:

Totally agree with everything said already. I was not intending to purchase anything else but did make a couple of sale purchases in the end, only because the way they are going it won't be long before I am totally priced out, this is probably my final fling with Mulberry unless things change. Instead of concentrating on overseas markets, I think it would be better to satisfy their home market first not drive them away as this should really be the core of their business. I really hope that they manage to turn things around & appoint someone credible. But have to say I have a bad feeling about this :sweatdrop::nogood::sweatdrop:

I must admit that I'm not surprised.

The new bags don't seem as popular as the older designs, the quality is an absolute disgrace and dealing with customer service is like pulling teeth - and that's not okay when dealing with a premium brand.

I've been a loyal customer for very long, but after having several issues with the quality and service provided, I've lost a lot of faith in the brand.
Looking at the products they are currently offering (and taking the quality and service into consideration), I'm not sure I'd miss Mulberry very much if they went out of business now.

I totally echo this, princesspig; I feel so let down by the quality of the Mulberry bags I've purchased online recently (and, come to that, by the appalling experience I had in their so-called "flagship store" in August.) I don't feel that they are the "luxury brand" they would like themselves to be; the old Darwin bags oozed English style and quality, whereas the current crop reek of cheap leather, mass-production and non-existent quality control.

I want to stay with Mulberry; to love the bags, feel my heart quicken when I open the tissue paper and adore my purchases. Instead, I feel a nervous dread when the box arrives and spend the first ten minutes checking her over for faults. (Not that it took ten seconds with the emerald Lexy, of which I still have to hear back from the Head Honcho at CS ...)

I hope that Mulberry takes hold of its quality issues by the scruff of the neck and restores its name to the high-end brand it actually used to be ...

I feel quite sad about Mulberry I'm sure this isn't what Roger Saul and his wife envisaged when they started the brand.

For the last few days I have tried really hard (I have now worked out) to fall in love with another brand as all the controversy with Mulberry was putting me off a bit.

My designer bag habit started in 1990 when I bought my first LV (which I still own). I bought the odd Mulberry here and there starting with a small congo Zinia which I loved, but didn't really fall in love. For the last few years I have abandoned LV and exclusively loved Mulberry (apart form the odd Le Pliage here and there!) Whereas I completely disagree wholeheartedly with the regular price hikes and the muddle there seems to be at the top regarding direction I still love my Mulberries and enjoy carrying them. They tick all the boxes for me and I seem to be lucky in that I have had nothing but excellent experiences in store, in outlets and from online sales and customer services, despite being quite a demanding customer (so my DH tells me, often in a very embarrassed way!) I have also had no quality issues either so maybe this is clouding my judgement a little. I'm sure if I had had any hassle then I would probably think differently :smile:

This may be idealistic and probably not the most financially sensible way to look at it but I see Mulberry as going through a bit of a crisis anbd a down time. Mulberry has been with me for a good few years and its like a friend who needs a bit of help through a tough time. I know its been brought on by the change in direction\management but I'd like Mulberry to come through it and see that they need to return to their best market (like the Roxanne, Phoebe etc days). I would hate to see it fail completely and be another originally good brand which disappears :sad:
Hope that made some sense??
Oh Icy like you I don't want to see the brand disappear. I love my bags too and get lots of pleasure from carrying them.
I just hope they move him on and get someone else!!!!
He seems to be in complete denial or maybe it is just extreme arrogance on his part.

It's almost as if he's trying to hasten Mulberry's demise. I am hoping to try and do my little bit to help by purchasing an oxblood shrunken calf Alexa this afternoon. Might as well use my SHD at last!

I had wanted to buy Mulberry shares for a while, but felt the share price was very inflated against earnings per share. Now the price is more in line with expectation and I wonder if it's going to be the new normal for a while. This is a difficult transition period created by a too-fast/aggressive upmarketing strategy, but I still think the brand will do well in the long term. Just trying to decide whether it's fallen far enough to buy now. I anticipate a share price rally when the new creative head is announced.

Actually very interesting to see the movements today...some sales always,followed by buys...so the share price has now not changed.......mmmmmmn do we think they are organising buyers to stop the price plummeting any more when people sell????????

I've just bought some shares at 675p. Could have gotten them slightly lower a few days ago but I think this is still a decent price. I don't think there's money to be gained in the short term, but am cautiously optimistic about mid-long term outlook.

I'm not hugely keen on the Cara collection but I think the hype is capable of generating interest for a little while. The "it bag" has always been an elusive, unpredictable creature and backpacks are in at the moment - for better or worse - so it's not outside the realm of possibility that this line could sell well. (Or it could bomb, who knows.) IMO a new head of creative in the next few months will probably boost share price a little, regardless of who they are. 31 March 2014 results will be out around May/June, which I personally don't think will affect the share price too much since the market has already adjusted to the profit warning.

Most importantly I don't think Guillon is going anywhere in the short term. The majority shareholders bought a chunk of shares immediately after the profit warning/share tumble; more than anything else I think that is a public demonstration of their willingness to stick to his strategy for now. In hindsight perhaps the aggressive up-branding wasn't the best path to take, but the company is firmly on that track now, so it would be better to see it through rather than quitting halfway and backpedal, especially since they've pretty much burned their bridges with alienating the UK market.

I've just bought some shares at 675p. Could have gotten them slightly lower a few days ago but I think this is still a decent price. I don't think there's money to be gained in the short term, but am cautiously optimistic about mid-long term outlook.

I'm not hugely keen on the Cara collection but I think the hype is capable of generating interest for a little while. The "it bag" has always been an elusive, unpredictable creature and backpacks are in at the moment - for better or worse - so it's not outside the realm of possibility that this line could sell well. (Or it could bomb, who knows.) IMO a new head of creative in the next few months will probably boost share price a little, regardless of who they are. 31 March 2014 results will be out around May/June, which I personally don't think will affect the share price too much since the market has already adjusted to the profit warning.

Most importantly I don't think Guillon is going anywhere in the short term. The majority shareholders bought a chunk of shares immediately after the profit warning/share tumble; more than anything else I think that is a public demonstration of their willingness to stick to his strategy for now. In hindsight perhaps the aggressive up-branding wasn't the best path to take, but the company is firmly on that track now, so it would be better to see it through rather than quitting halfway and backpedal, especially since they've pretty much burned their bridges with alienating the UK market.

Good luck...as I said before cara apparently has millions of followers so it only needs a fraction,of,those to buy and the company is on the up again.....I don't wish it ill but the turn it has taken recently means it is no longer for me

^ This was similar to the though process talked through in our house this week when we thought the Sunday announcement might be a new creative director. We ultimately opted not to purchase at this time as my husband isn't convinced, but he is continuing to monitor.

I do agree that Guillon won't go anywhere in the short term. They've commited to this strategy now for better or worse.