Workplace Female Programmers?

megustapurses

Dec 27, 2011
Are there any female programmers here? If so please allow me to pick your brains 😬.

What kind do you do?

Why did you decide to program?

What was your major in college?

How is your work environment, I.e make dominated or no?

Do you enjoy programming?

I'm debating on learning to program but I'm hesitant, not sure why.

Any response would be great!

Are there any female programmers here? If so please allow me to pick your brains 😬.

What kind do you do?

I'm debating on learning to program but I'm hesitant, not sure why.

Any response would be great!

IWhat kind do you do?

COBOL

My father I picked my major because he paid for me to go to school. I had to other choice but to study that unless I was going to pay for my own schooling. Which I should have done I would have been a pharmacist. They get paid way better then what a programmers get paid.

Business computer information systems.

I no longer works as a programmer. I only worked as a programmer for 6 months. I was fired I wasn't doing a good job and It's wasn't a positive working environment either. It's was male dominated and

It was okay. I would take one class or maybe to see if you would enjoy programing.

IWhat kind do you do?

COBOL

My father I picked my major because he paid for me to go to school. I had to other choice but to study that unless I was going to pay for my own schooling. Which I should have done I would have been a pharmacist. They get paid way better then what a programmers get paid.

Business computer information systems.

I no longer works as a programmer. I only worked as a programmer for 6 months. I was fired I wasn't doing a good job and It's wasn't a positive working environment either. It's was male dominated and

It was okay. I would take one class or maybe to see if you would enjoy programing.

Thank you,
My DB and DF are both programmers and they both love it, however they are unique individuals.
I've learned you do need a specific personality to survive.
I've been told i'm too "bubbly" to be a programmer.
Do you think perhaps that's why you didn't like it? Because you were stuck staring at a computer all day or were you just not a fan of coding in general?

My degree is in software engineering, so programming but also design, testing, theory etc. Although I no longer work, I really enjoyed it. Learnt a variety of languages, both programming and specifying. I tend towards lateral thinking which I think helps. Rather than just learning a language, maybe engineering, analysis or testing might suit you better? There's a huge range of things you can do, hopefully you can find something you enjoy and love doing.

Thank you,
My DB and DF are both programmers and they both love it, however they are unique individuals.
I've learned you do need a specific personality to survive.
I've been told i'm too "bubbly" to be a programmer.
Do you think perhaps that's why you didn't like it? Because you were stuck staring at a computer all day or were you just not a fan of coding in general?

Sorry for my long delay in responding. But I've been trying to figure out to response to your questions. I do like programming to a point and yes there were a few bubbly personalities where I was working at. But during that time, I was having a lot of personal problems with my boyfriend at the time and I had been force into the computer field by my Father. I was fired after 6 months because I wasn't focused on the job. my father had been giving me a really hard about my 10 years old car that were always giving me problems. I have yet to return to work in that field. Because my Father had for my college education, , he had picked my major for me. My Father had refused to send me to college for either pharmacy or chemical engineering. He had told me that I wasn't smart enough to study those fields. I like math and science more than coding. But I had made a B in the cobol programming class that I took at college I had attended. But when it was time to graduate with my degree is Business Computer Information System, that's when most of us student's had figured out that some of the other student already had the needed computer skills and that the school really expected you to already know some of it already. Another problem was the person that they had assigned me to work with, he was always coughing and squeezing all over my computer each and every day at work and when He would sat down to help me with coding, he would always sat with he legs wide open. He wasn't the nicest person to work with. It was a really bad work experience for me. This happened back in 2000. I still have yet to return to the field of computers. I just really wanted to be a pharmacist

Last edited:
I'm not a programmer, but I do work for a software company, so I know a lot of developers. Very few I've known are female, but I'd throw out a few thoughts about it:
- only choose programming for a career if you love it. There are a lot of careers that you can do and *meh* enjoy, but programming really requires a passion, or you will want to tear your eyeballs out. Take a class or two and figure that part out.
- from what I've noticed, male or female makes very little difference on fitting in. It seems to be more about the geek quotient, like loving Game of Thrones, technology, video games, and card games (e.g. Magic)

I have a close relative who is a programmer. And yes, it's male dominated wherever she worked. That has been somewhat of a hindrance, although she has had female bosses. I myself once toyed with the idea...until I took some classes. Wasn't for me. Do some research and look for niche in-demand areas - it can be very lucrative. But I agree with the above - take some classes and test the waters.

If you were to study programming you can look at an array of jobs like web design, becoming an sdet etc. I like testing because my mind is not set to create anything other than a test case :smile:

But you should look at a java class and see if you like it. I feel learning coding and languages can open up a lot of doors. Don't be intimidated. It's not that difficult. It just takes practice.

A lot of places are male dominated. They say lots of women only test. I guess I fall into that stereotype however I do know many women developers and web designers. It depends also on where you live. I find the people I have worked with (it depends on where you work) are very informal, laid back and kind. All they care about is if you get your work done. My husband on the other hand is a software architect, his work life is hectic.

Programming does sometimes take passion but I personally don't have a passion for it. Yet I did it for a time because I love the work life and I find there are many options other than just being a programmer.

I studied software development and am an okay dev, but nothing amazing. I don't have the passion for programming but I've worked in the IT industry a few years now and am currently an IT Architect/team lead. You don't have to necessarily program to have a career in tech. The work environment is male oriented but I prefer that, I think being a female in a mostly male group gives me an edge. I think IT/software is the place to be career wise currently, so I'd encourage you to look into it if it interests you.