Dilemma!!! Please Help!

Jasmine K.

Les rebelles Légenda
O.G.
Jul 26, 2009
Good Morning! My DBF took me ring shopping for Valentine's Day and I ended up being torn between two options. It was a complete surprise, so I don't have specs (too shocked to remember to jot them down) but I would appreciate your input on which ring I should choose. We're supposed to go back to look at both in detail and place the order (smaller ring size for skinny fingers). Which ring would you all choose? ImageUploadedByPurseForum1392472950.677640.jpg

Wow, congrats on such a beautiful surprise - you have a very thoughtful DBF!
I like the oval one on the left...not a fan of emerald cuts and this one also looks too dark...but maybe it´s just the light or quality of the picture...

Wow, congrats on such a beautiful surprise - you have a very thoughtful DBF!
I like the oval one on the left...not a fan of emerald cuts and this one also looks too dark...but maybe it´s just the light or quality of the picture...

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if the color is off but I won't be getting that exact ring when I place a special order for a new one. The SA told DBF that they can place any stone of our choosing in that setting, if that helps. I was asking everyone's opinion for aesthetic reasons. I like the oval shape as well, so this is a very hard decision to make.

I prefer the emerald cut on the right. I just personally find that oval cuts are more traditional looking, but it also depends on your personal style. If you tend to navigate to traditional jewelry, clothing, decor, etc. you may prefer the oval, but the emerald appears to be more for the modern woman. Congrats on the ring!

I have a square emerald/asscher in a halo setting and I love the contrast between the sparkle of the round melee and the more chunky glitter of a step cut. That said, it's a very different look from the all around glitter of an oval. I think you should spend a good amount of time wearing each ring and take hand pictures of you with both. Take pictures close up and from far away, this way you'll see what it would look like to other people if this matters to you. To me, they are both classic rings and if you ever get tired of the halo you could easily re-set into a solitaire or different setting.

It's hard for me to choose not knowing the stats. I want to say I would pick the emerald because I don't like a bowtie (the bowtie shaped cut across the middle of an oval that shines differently). But if the emerald has lower clarity then i would pick the oval.

They are both stunning. I don't think you could go wrong. I would be driven crazy by the contrast between step and brilliant, that's my personal issue. Others love that look. The only issue with the oval is how well cut it is. Many are not well cut. It just comes down to what you fall in love with.

I always love oval but thats now as Ive learnt they look sooooo much better on my hand than princess / emerald despite spending years lusting after the more modern latter cuts. You are so lucky and, much as you already are, I say just enjoy it and test them thoroughly on your hands including the close-up and long-range mirror tests.

I look forward to modelling shots of these beauties :girlsigh:

Congratulations!...they are both sooo beautiful!.....I think as the others said I would like to see them on your hands,...I really love both, but the Emerald seems more modern. Its also hard when you cant see how they sparkle in person...

Thank you so much for all of the kind advice! We went back today to get modeling shots to give you all an idea of how they would look. The oval is .75 ct and with surrounding diamonds is 1.50 CTW. The emerald cut is 1.00 ct and with the surrounding diamonds is 2 ctw. Here are the modeling pics. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505444.493413.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505457.101612.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505469.965608.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505481.501721.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505533.625758.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505548.029338.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505562.662428.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505588.385589.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505599.683643.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505610.912026.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1392505624.182991.jpg