Reserve price?

Aug 29, 2012
Hi all! I don't usually sell on Ebay ( I'm normally a buyer) but I bought some Burberry sandals online last year and they don't fit me properly. I guess I've procrastinated long enough and it's time to sell them :smile:

I was wondering if putting a reserve price on my listing turns people off? Also does anyone have any tips? Is it allowed to post the link here and get suggestions about my listing?

Thank you all :smile:

I don't like reserve auctions - I don't bid on them or watch them -- just start the listing at the minimum price you are willing to accept - or do a BIN for the price you want. Good Luck!

I did start with a BIN but I don't know if I was being reasonable with the price. So I thought I would start it low and put a reserve for the very lowest I would take.

I don't know, maybe Burberry shoes just aren't a hot item? I love them but maybe they aren't that marketable?
I don't like reserve auctions - I don't bid on them or watch them -- just start the listing at the minimum price you are willing to accept - or do a BIN for the price you want. Good Luck!

As a buyer, I avoid reserve auctions. On regular auctions, I often forget the time that the auction ends and I end up loosing the item (like today :cry:smile:. So I buy most of my items on 'buy it now' or 'best offer', my favorite option. Good luck!

I'm another that doesn't bother with auctions with reserve prices. Nor do I see the point in them when you can start the bid at your minimum. If you're not going to accept the highest bid under X amount, then just start the bid off at X amount. To me, its a waste of time. And the few that I did bid on, the sellers had other silliness involved. None of the transactions actually went through. So now I don't bother, if it says reserve, I don't bother reading further. :/

I'd bid if it was something I desperately wanted but if it was an item that could be found on ebay all the time then I'd look elsewhere.

Sometimes I will email the seller to ask the reserve price and have received responses ranging from what the reserve price was (which is handy as I can then decide whether or not to walk away) to telling me it's against ebay policy to disclose (which it isn't so needless to say I don't bother bidding on such listings).

I do think it can drive buyers away though. Not to mention it's so expensive to use as a seller as you don't get the reserve price listing fee back anymore.

I don't think buyers like a reserve price. Plus, you have to pay a fee to use one. Just start bidding at your lowest selling point or offer a buy it now with best offer enabled.

I've never listed anything on eBay with a reserve price (makes sense to just start the bid at my lowest price). I also realized that bidding on an item with a reserve price can be useless because TWO bidders must bid higher than the reserve price in order for the item to sell. Needless to say, I don't bid on items unless the reserve price has already been met.

I've never listed anything on eBay with a reserve price (makes sense to just start the bid at my lowest price). I also realized that bidding on an item with a reserve price can be useless because TWO bidders must bid higher than the reserve price in order for the item to sell. Needless to say, I don't bid on items unless the reserve price has already been met.
That's incorrect.

As long as there's one bid that meets the reserve, the item will sell for that (reserve) price.

For example, a buyer wants an item, sees a reserve and a starting price of $5 but knows what it's worth. So instead of many small bids to try to guess the reserve, she puts in her bid of $500. If the reserve was $300, the reserve has been met and the bidding will progress from that $300 point. If no one else bids, the lone bidder will win the item.

I also think you should not put a reserve price. You are better off putting a 'buy it now' price. And also have an option of 'best offer", in which you could have a limit placed on how low the offer can be.