Anyone have experience with a sick chicken?

Poth

All that glitters.
Dec 10, 2012
I inherited a flock of chickens about 6 months ago. One sweet hen was over 10 years old, so I think what I've been dreading since we got her is finally unfolding.

She gets around remarkably well for being tired and arthritic, until this morning. She didn't follow her friends back into the coop tonight, and won't even open her eyes after I brought her inside wrapped in a blanket. I never thought I could get so attached to a chicken.

We miraculously have a vet appointment for another animal in our menagerie, but it will kill me to bring her in too. She has had a wonderful 6 months with me, full of raisins, watermelon, spinach, and naps under the avocado trees. I am ready for whatever the vet suggests, because her quality of life has quite literally flown the coop.

Thanks for letting me vent. Here she was a month ago begging for raisins.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1391141592.429392.jpg

Thanks. It was heartbreaking to see her chicken BFF cry and search for her this morning.

She's still holding on as of this morning. I think my little dinosaur is about to fly off into chicken heaven at any moment.

Sigh.

Thanks. It was heartbreaking to see her chicken BFF cry and search for her this morning.

She's still holding on as of this morning. I think my little dinosaur is about to fly off into chicken heaven at any moment.

Sigh.

Awww, any updates?

Sorry everyone! This week was crazy.

My sweet Blanche passed away last Friday morning. I hope she's in chicken heaven gorging on mealworms and watermelon.

My DH gave her a nice little service and she's now resting in our backyard. Mother Clucker(her BFF) is laying again, and the flock is figuring things out without her.

Thanks everyone. I never thought I would get so attached to them.

:heart: Thanks.

It's true! They all have very distinct personalities. One gal is bossy, one coos at you when you scratch under her ears, and the other is shy. They've been so much fun to have.

:heart: Thanks.

It's true! They all have very distinct personalities. One gal is bossy, one coos at you when you scratch under her ears, and the other is shy. They've been so much fun to have.

They really do.

I am still so mad at my wiener dog for what she did to mine.

They really do.

I am still so mad at my wiener dog for what she did to mine.
Uh-oh... what did she do? Our two dogs are good with them since I think they look at the chickens like their personal poop snack machines.

I don't think I'll ever trust them unsupervised together.