New Puppy!

CobaltBlu

Butterfly Wrangler
O.G.
Oct 20, 2006
Well, it's been a while since I have had a puppy in the house, and it's pretty challenging!

My daughter decided that it was time...and for my birthday presented me with a beautiful APBT mix, who I have named Poppy. I have had her for two weeks and we are working on a few things :P

She is nine weeks old now, and whip smart. She is 3/4 APBT, and 1/4 Catahoula. So, she will definitely be my watchdog. :heart:

Last edited:
Pics...

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388732129.647144.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388732152.931271.jpg

Her sister lives with a friend, so she brings her over so they have play dates. Here they are pooped out under the Christmas tree after making a huge mess and destroying a string of lights. Sister love!!!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388732197.622203.jpg

Her coloring and eyes are so pretty. I'd guess this is a breed that takes a dedicated owner to keep up with the dog's intelligence. Congratulations!

p.s. I know my puppy days are over--they take so much energy!

Thanks everyone! We are working on house training, wow. It's been a challenge. Some of you may remember that I already have a few dogs :P. it's been a while since I have worked with a puppy. She is working on finding her niche with the pack....the only one with any interest in her is my doxie.

She knows how to sit, sort of. She knows "no" and "out of the kitchen" and she will fetch a ball and bring it back, till she won't, LOL. She sleeps downstairs or outside with the two older big dogs...my two smaller dogs sleep upstairs usually and Poppy is really fine to get in her bed under the table downstairs with a chewy and sleep all night there or out with the big dogs. She can come and go at night, but still has accidents in the house.

When her sister and my daughter's puppy visit it's a Dog Party, A Big Dog Party! Seven dogs and seven acres, but they all want to be in the living room!

I will post more pictures and if anyone has any housetraining tips, I would love it!

Oh, here are mom and dad. Mom is the red nose pit, dad is 1/2 catahoula.

This is a new breed for me, but I really need a good solid watchdog, as my shepherd is getting up there and losing her hearing, too. So I think my daughter made a good choice.

Poppy was the alpha in the litter. But here she is low in the pack and has been scolded a bit by the others. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388779405.227021.jpg

Here are the sisters with my DDs pup and my ferocious wiener dog.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388779632.353784.jpg

^Cobalt I'm so jealous of your pack! How are you housetraining? Do you use a crate or do you just take her out regularly? I will need to learn for the future.

Are catahoulas good guard dogs? I used to joke that our bully baby was a "watch"dog not a guard dog because she would watch any stranger come in and then make them her best friend.

^Cobalt I'm so jealous of your pack! How are you housetraining? Do you use a crate or do you just take her out regularly? I will need to learn for the future.

Are catahoulas good guard dogs? I used to joke that our bully baby was a "watch"dog not a guard dog because she would watch any stranger come in and then make them her best friend.

They are supposed to be good hunting dogs that are also great family dogs, assertive but not aggressive, territorial, loyal, protective. They are an excellent farm dog, apparently. I am hoping she will be good with the horses....half the time they are near my house with only electric wire to keep them in. The other dogs ignore them.

She is learning the watchdog duties from the others, they all run to the gate and kick up a fuss. She listens well.

All the dogs can come and go out using at least one or more doors, but the big dogs are technically "outside" dogs. So mostly I am just shadowing Poppy and the instant she wakes up and scooping her up and taking her out and praising her. It's the nights that fail, but we have been having thunderstorms so all the dogs have been sleeping inside, and she doesn't cry when she wakes up, so I miss it :sad:. During the day i just watch her like a hawk and take her out, or say NO if I catch her peeing or about to pee.

If she is ninja and I find a puddle, I just clean it and dont make a huge deal...She uses puppy pads too, but misses them sometimes.

Thank goodness I have super hard wood floors!!

Cuteness overload!!!

I potty trained a stubborn doberman puppy using a crate at night. She would scream for outside when her tiny bladder woke up. Ahhhh... memories of early morning potty runs and endless puddles to clean.

How big will she get?