Symbolic Jewelery

Just for an example, Julie Chen, who is a talk show host wears beaded bracelets all the time, or at least whenever I've seen her on television, she also wears evil eye jewelery and a red string on her left hand. I would love to know what they signify to her and where she buys them(especially the beaded). I have my own ideas but wonder if anyone else has any input on this subject. I guess I notice what she wears since her style is my style in most cases.

Julie Chen is married to the CEO of CBS, who was born into a Jewish family. I think the red string is of Hebrew origins (Kabbalah). According to Wiki, she is also a Yogi, and I think the beads represent different spiritual and energies.

My mother has an agate energy bead bracelet, she says she feels calmer and more productive when wearing it. She made her own bracelet with stretch cord.

You can probably find them in mystical/new age shops or do a search on chakra, mala or ayurvedic beads

When I was exploring spirituality, I was very drawn to the Celtic folklore and wore a Celtic cross and a Celtic charm.

I wear a cross that says Jesus on it. Not because it has 'special powers' or wards anything off.... but because it reminds me of how much God loves me, that He sent Jesus to earth to die for my sins so that I might have eternal life.
It reminds me that Christ lives in me, and that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. :heart:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1387489220.425552.jpg
These are the West Indian/Caribbean bangles that my Trinidadian mom passed down to me. They were passed down to her from her aunt, my great aunt.
I rarely take them off.
Not sure what the meaning behind them is other than just it's a traditional style in the West Indies.
They're usually worn in pairs.

View attachment 2436204
These are the West Indian/Caribbean bangles that my Trinidadian mom passed down to me. They were passed down to her from her aunt, my great aunt.
I rarely take them off.
Not sure what the meaning behind them is other than just it's a traditional style in the West Indies.

Actually, they're made by the Indian silversmiths who live there. So they come from Indian jewelry tradition (that is, South Asia India). I've bought the same in an Indian borough of Trinidad called Chaguanas.

Actually, they're made by the Indian silversmiths who live there. So they come from Indian jewelry tradition (that is, South Asia India). I've bought the same in an Indian borough of Trinidad called Chaguanas.

I noticed that they are silver most of the time now, but mine are gold. My mom told me that it is really difficult to find gold ones now. Do you know anything about the story behind these bangles? If there is any special meaning?

I'm sorry, I don't know of a meaning to the form and engravings, except that in general for Indian women (in Trini and elsewhere) gold jewelry is a means of preserving and displaying one's wealth. There is gold sold in these shops as well as silver, but of course the gold is vastly more valuable. :smile:

This reminds me to get my bangle set out again! I wore it nonstop for years.

Last edited:
View attachment 2436204
I rarely take them off.

Those are beautiful!
I love wearing jewelry that has been passed down, it makes it feel more special to me.

I'm sorry, I don't know of a meaning to the form and engravings, except that in general for Indian women (in Trini and elsewhere) gold jewelry is a means of preserving and displaying one's wealth. There is gold sold in these shops as well as silver, but of course the gold is vastly more valuable. :smile:

This reminds me to get my bangle set out again! I wore it nonstop for years.

Those are beautiful!

I love wearing jewelry that has been passed down, it makes it feel more special to me.

Thank you, Ladies!
The funny thing is, I didn't wear them for years because I actually prefer to wear silver and I felt weird about mixing metals.
It's only recently that I started feeling comfortable wearing yellow gold and silver at the same time.
My mom will be in Trinidad soon and I might see if she can get me some silver ones, too! But these are sentimental to me. I remember my mom wearing them all the time when I was a little girl.

I have a couple of Chinese "suo" means traditional locks... I have 3 that are quite precious to me - one is made of silver (needs some polishing) and 2 others made of jadeite (green) jade and (pink/lavender) jade. I stopped wearing the silver one as I didn't want people to follow me around at work whenever they heard me "jingle" with the bells on the lock...
I'm not home at the moment but I can take pix in a few days when I get back.

I pulled these off the internet to give you guys an idea:
http://traditions.cultural-china.com/en/14Traditions4954.html
longlife_lock__blessings_for_kidsac848d3957501a29076f.jpg

Another mystical character that's thought to bring good luck is the "Qi Lin" - oriental equivalent of a "sphinx". I have this on a jade necklace as well (but prettier than the image below lol).
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2011-03/01/content_12095436.htm
002564bc712b0ed6a56a07.jpg

I used to also wear a fish necklace and have had several jade bangles in the past too.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this, people of different nationalities or religions, customs, good luck, health, etc.
What type of pieces they are, what they are made of, what they signify and any other information about them.

Just for an example, Julie Chen, who is a talk show host wears beaded bracelets all the time, or at least whenever I've seen her on television, she also wears evil eye jewelery and a red string on her left hand. I would love to know what they signify to her and where she buys them(especially the beaded). I have my own ideas but wonder if anyone else has any input on this subject. I guess I notice what she wears since her style is my style in most cases.