SNAD? Not sure what to do.. Please help!

lovemisa143

Jul 28, 2012
Hi all. I am in need of your help and advice on what I should do. I've bought a Louis Vuitton Retiro PM from ebay seller brandoff and I believe it is not as described.

This is the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251365117926&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

In the listing - the pictures looked very good and sold me on the bag.

I was sad when I see the bag in person. On the vachetta part in the back there are many dark stains. The seller described the bag as having "slight stains" and "slight signs of wear" but there were many dark dirty stains like color transfer from the previous owner wearing jeans. On one corner, there was a very visible scuff in the piping. The worse damage of all is the handles of the bag are not the same color! The seller described the bag having "slight discoloration" but one handle is much darker color than the other handle. It is very obvious and very noticeable when I put the handles next to each other. One handle has much more patina and the other still light. I am so sad as I've spent lots of money for this bag and I didn't expect all of these damages that were not described.

I bought many Louis Vuitton items from this seller without any issues and I am very surprised to see this bag is not as expected.

My main issue is the bag have 2 handles of different color - one handle is darker than the other. That was not visible in their pictures as they had bright lighting making the bag look very good. That was also not in their description. Everyone who saw the bag noticed and asked me why are the handles different color.

I have paid $1299 for the bag plus $130 in custom charges so a total of $1429 for this bag. I hate spending so much money and cannot enjoy the bag. It bothers me every time I see the handles.

My Pictures:

image_zpsc9fac12d.jpg

image_zpse58f418f.jpg

image_zps871ef0dd.jpg

image_zps4aafa639.jpg

image_zps518bff23.jpg

image_zps0aeb784d.jpg

image_zpsa57f76a6.jpg

I've contacted the seller and sent them the pictures I took and asked for a partial refund and I can pay the rest out of my pocket to replace the handle. I even told the seller I would send a scanned image of the repair receipt as I would be using the partial refund to replace the darker handle. Otherwise I told them I wanted to return the bag for a full refund as well as the return shipping.

This is the seller's response:

Thank you for your continued business.

We found that you are not satisfied with the last item you purchased.

We did not admit such a color condition on the handle shown on your pictures at our inspection.

As we told all buyers on the description,all defects may not be able to be described.
However we post as many defects as possible on the description and pictures to help buyers' decision and decrease buyers' concerns as "No return and refund" is our policy.

We really hate to say this again but we can't help it this time.
We wish we could accept your offer.
In fact,our profit is very thin as we cover shipping and insurance fees for it.
It is a marginal item for us.
We are very sorry not for accommodating your offer.

If possible, we'd like to ask you a suggestion for your next shopping with us?
We'd like a continuous business with you.
We'll offer you some special treatment including discount for next your purchase.
We can't promise we'll be able to give you discount for all items though,we'll try as
much as possible.

Regarding the tanned- leather handle,we would appreciate it if you would

understand that kind of color difference could exist on used items.

Your consideration would be really appreciated.

I am not sure what to do from here. I will not spend more money to replace the darker handle when I've already spent $1429 on this bag. Otherwise I would've bought a Retiro PM brand new from the store and it would've been flawless.

If I open a SNAD case and win - I still won't be refunded the return shipping.
Sending it back to Japan with online viewable tracking would be very expensive as I can only send it via express and this bag is quite heavy in a box.

I also would not get the $130 customs charge back.

Even if I win the SNAD case I would still lose about $300+ which is the customs charge that I paid plus the return shipping back to Japan with online viewable tracking/signature.

Do you think I should just forget about opening a SNAD case/keep the bag and leave the handles the way that they are/try not to be bothered by them?

With the amount that I spent I did not think I'd have to "live with" any undisclosed flaws >.<

I have had many successfull transactions with this seller and I am not sure if I want to give them a negative for this -- what do you think?

Please give me your opinions. Thank you for taking the time to read my long thread.

Last edited:
In the listing, I do see a discoloration of the handles in the first picture. Because the
handles overlap each other, you can see it.

The seller sure is not making this easy I can tell you that.

What is the cost to replace the handle(s) from LV?

I think that the bag is perhaps too flawed for you & that you won't enjoy using it as is
or will you??

I would open a SNAD & consider the loss on the bag. The seller might respond back once
you have opened a SNAD & perhaps be more willing to work with you...it is worth a shot
to do so....

Even without your post, I don't think their description is detailed as they insist. The photographs are way over saturated and you can't see flaws. They only say "Slight this and that" and don't specify "where". They should try a little harder to describe items.

Did you calculate the shipping cost at USPS? Even Global Express Guaranteed (GXG) shouldn't cost $300.

In the listing, I do see a discoloration of the handles in the first picture. Because the
handles overlap each other, you can see it.

The seller sure is not making this easy I can tell you that.

What is the cost to replace the handle(s) from LV?

I think that the bag is perhaps too flawed for you & that you won't enjoy using it as is
or will you??

I would open a SNAD & consider the loss on the bag. The seller might respond back once
you have opened a SNAD & perhaps be more willing to work with you...it is worth a shot
to do so....

Hi Hotshot, thank you for your response. I do see it now in the first picture. Honestly I would've thought that was a shadow due to the lighting >.< I never would've specifically checked for discolored handles as that thought did not even cross my mind at the time :sad:

I would think the cost of replacing the handle would be $250 plus tax? I think they charged $200 per neverfull handle but this is a Retiro PM with thicker handles so it will be more for sure.

I've already spent $1429 on this bag - another $250 with tax will be around $1679-$1700 -- If I had known I'd pay retail price for a brand new Retiro PM from the boutique :sad:

I guess I should try to open a SNAD as you are right - I would not use the bag much or be able to enjoy it as much as I would like.

It just sucks that I will be out the customs charge plus the return shipping even if I win the case.

Another fear of mine is shipping the bag back to Japan. I've never mailed anything international before and quite scared of that. I know I'd send it back via express - but what if it does not have an online viewable signature? I would not want to not get my refund and lose the bag too.

Last edited:
Even without your post, I don't think their description is detailed as they insist. The photographs are way over saturated and you can't see flaws. They only say "Slight this and that" and don't specify "where". They should try a little harder to describe items.

Did you calculate the shipping cost at USPS? Even Global Express Guaranteed (GXG) shouldn't cost $300.

Hi gidramom. The $300 was an estimate of at least $170 return shipping and the $130 in customs charge that I paid.

Last time I almost returned a wallet to Japan but the cost of returning the wallet in a padded envelope via express was $75 so I decided to just resell the wallet --- I figured a pretty heavy bag in a box would be around $170..

So I was saying that even if I win the SNAD case and get a full refund I'd still lose around $300 due to the customs charge I had to pay and the return shipping to send the bag back.

Last edited:
I just checked the USPS website and a Int'l Priority Express Medium FRB with insurance was about $85. IDK if you are in the US, but if I couldn't live with the bag, I would possibly consider the return. You would still get back about $1000. There is always reselling it yourself, but you could end up coming out worse after fees than if you returned.
As for your seller---shame on them. You say you have had many successful transactions with them On that basis alone they should accommodate your request for a return.

I just checked the USPS website and a Int'l Priority Express Medium FRB with insurance was about $85. IDK if you are in the US, but if I couldn't live with the bag, I would possibly consider the return. You would still get back about $1000. There is always reselling it yourself, but you could end up coming out worse after fees than if you returned.
As for your seller---shame on them. You say you have had many successful transactions with them On that basis alone they should accommodate your request for a return.

Hi poopsie2! I am not sure how international mail work as I've never sent anything international before. Last time the lady at USPS told me the sarah wallet I wanted to return back to Japan (different ebay seller) in a padded envelope via express mail was $75 with online viewable tracking plus signature and it was not heavy at all. I can't imagine this Retiro PM which is significantly more heavy in a cardboard box would be $85.

Does Int'l Priority Express Medium FRB with insurance have online viewable tracking and signature? What does FRB stand for? Is it not charged by weight?

Thank you so much for your input :smile:

I would open a SNAD... This might force the seller into accomodating you
with perhaps an allowance for the bag that would make a difference in keeping
or returning the bag for you.

I suggest you tell the seller what you want & give seller an opportunity to
respond.

If you are not able to work it out, then open your SNAD & perhaps ask ebay
for a return label or a partial compensation for the cost of sending a SNAD item
back.

If you do decide to return this bag & since it is a costly item, just make sure
you have everything lined up correctly (signature/insurance ) so you don't have
to incur any other unforseen problem.

Yes it does suck to be out the custom fees, but that's one of the drawbacks
about an international transaction unfortunately.

Good luck & sorry that the description wasn't as clear as you would have liked it to be

Last edited:
I totally agree that this is heart breaking and I wouldn't be happy at all with the condition of this bag. I know you are asking for advice on what to do here and, as someone who doesn't buy from eBay all that often, I'm not sure whats appropriate.

I see that you are considering just living with it as you may feel you are losing out on the shipping/customs fees. I want to just throw this out there for consideration. Im afraid that if you replace just the dark handle, it will wind up lighter than the light handle. So, you would end up with just the opposite problem. Kwim?

Again if you do keep it, you might want to consider tanning just the light handle. While I have no experience "suntanning" my vachetta, I have read many posts here discussing it. I think if you were to cover the darker handle (and any other darker areas) and place the bag in a sunny area, you may be able to even out the handles. If you watch it closely and rotate often I bet you could get them much closer in shade so as to not be so glaringly obvious.

^^ Yes.

If you return an item that you paid customs duties on, there is a form that you can fill out to get that money returned to you. I don't know how long the process takes, but you can get it back.

I send USPS International Priority Express often, and I agree with Poopsie that this bag shouldn't cost any more than $85.00 to ship back, fully trackable and insured. (I don't know why the wallet cost so much - Express Flat Rate padded envelopes are $45.00 to send internationally.)

Did you pay the duty directly to customs or thru the shipper? Here is some info regarding refund of duty paid (called "drawback"):

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-imported-goods-if-exporting-or-returning-the

if you consider keeping it, there are ways to clean the vachetta safely, search the LV forum for various methods. I have used the original formula Mr Clean Magic Eraser successfully on my own LVs. However please don't touch the bag if you plan on filing SNAD and returning it.

^^ Yes.

If you return an item that you paid customs duties on, there is a form that you can fill out to get that money returned to you. I don't know how long the process takes, but you can get it back.

I send USPS International Priority Express often, and I agree with Poopsie that this bag shouldn't cost any more than $85.00 to ship back, fully trackable and insured. (I don't know why the wallet cost so much - Express Flat Rate padded envelopes are $45.00 to send internationally.)

OP if you are able to file a form for the custom fee, this might help you
reach a decision to return the bag as your loss for the custom fee will
be returned to you..so you will just pay for return shipping ..

I would do a SNAD and see if the seller is willing to help in some way. They admitted in their email they did not disclose the two different colored handles. It is very noticeable and should not have been left out. With pictures it is easy to hade defects and think things are shadows. Do the SNAD because you will only have a negative attitude towards carrying this bag. The bag could probably be cleaned up with leather products but the handles kind of scream different colors. Perhaps the one handle can be treated with a leather product to darken it?