Cartier or Tiffany's for an Engagement Ring?

Jul 7, 2013
My boyfriend revealed to me he began ring shopping yesterday. He told me he went to Tiffany's first and the SA told him to check out cartier and de beers as well since it was his first time looking at rings. He then went to de beers and stated he was overwhelmed because of the lighting and sparkliness of everything in he store, so then he concluded maybe the lighting is meant to be misleading. He didn't have a chance to go to cartier since the cartier closes earlier than the other other two. He was wondering which out of the three is considered the "best" or has the best quality diamonds and rings. Which in your opinion is the best? Thanks in advance.

Tiffany - you can upgrade within 5 years, in case u start with a smaller diamond.
Cartier-I don't like their round 4 prong,it's a personal preference. Usually a good experience . They have the design your ring option,
DeBeers didn't have as much selection to view. Nothing bad to say about them.

Is it more important to you to have a ring from one of those three brands, or is it more important to you to have a top quality diamond and setting with a larger diamond for the same money? For example, would you rather have a 1 ct Tiffany ring or a 1.3-1.5 ct ideal cut diamond (equal or better than Tiffany in quality) in a high quality platinum setting like one from Tiffany?

Congratulations! Your fiance sounds like a really great guy for putting in all his energy to finding you your perfect ring!
Everyone has their own preferences. I think that a Tiffany engagement ring is very romantic and a great choice.
For me personally, I was able to choose my diamond and have it set in a setting of choice in a 'regular' jewellers. It's unbranded but utterly beautiful and special to me!
At the same time, I just love my cartier pieces of jewelry and I love the uniqueness of certain pieces of 'branded jewelry'.
It's an exiting time, thinking of engagements rings! Enjoy it!

I personally don't think any of the majors are particularly good on cut quality, as that isn't their focus. The major brands are more concerned about the color and clarity of the stones they sell and their proprietary designs, than cut quality in general. You can definitely get well cut stones at all three, but you have to know what you're looking for and come in educated on cut quality, and have an SA willing to help you find well cut stones within their stock. Many SAs just want you to buy what is right there already, so sometimes that's tricky but there are SAs willing to do the legwork with you. Is the brand important to you or is having the best quality important to you? Because they don't always come in the same package.

Thanks for the replies.

I personally don't think any of the majors are particularly good on cut quality, as that isn't their focus. The major brands are more concerned about the color and clarity of the stones they sell and their proprietary designs, than cut quality in general. You can definitely get well cut stones at all three, but you have to know what you're looking for and come in educated on cut quality, and have an SA willing to help you find well cut stones within their stock. Many SAs just want you to buy what is right there already, so sometimes that's tricky but there are SAs willing to do the legwork with you. Is the brand important to you or is having the best quality important to you? Because they don't always come in the same package.

It's funny you mentioned about the cut, because my boyfriend stated that he thought it was funny none of the SAs mentioned anything about the cut of the stones being that it's the most important c. He's determined to go in with specs the net time he goes in to see who has the best cut.

The brand isn't really that important to me, although I do think it would be more exciting to get a little blue or red box, however, I'd be happy with anything he chose. I think he's focusing on the brand because he knows it'd make me happy, but I'm starting to think the brand is becoming more important to him because I think he thinks it'd be fun to buy something from there, he's not one for name brands or designers, he focuses more on quality.

Congratulations! Your fiance sounds like a really great guy for putting in all his energy to finding you your perfect ring!
Everyone has their own preferences. I think that a Tiffany engagement ring is very romantic and a great choice.
For me personally, I was able to choose my diamond and have it set in a setting of choice in a 'regular' jewellers. It's unbranded but utterly beautiful and special to me!
At the same time, I just love my cartier pieces of jewelry and I love the uniqueness of certain pieces of 'branded jewelry'.
It's an exiting time, thinking of engagements rings! Enjoy it!

The fact that he's involved you at all is pretty cool, so if you can share your input or even select the ring together, that would be stellar. The proposal or final selection can still be a surprise.
Thanks for the replies.
It's funny you mentioned about the cut, because my boyfriend stated that he thought it was funny none of the SAs mentioned anything about the cut of the stones being that it's the most important c. He's determined to go in with specs the net time he goes in to see who has the best cut.

The brand isn't really that important to me, although I do think it would be more exciting to get a little blue or red box, however, I'd be happy with anything he chose. I think he's focusing on the brand because he knows it'd make me happy, but I'm starting to think the brand is becoming more important to him because I think he thinks it'd be fun to buy something from there, he's not one for name brands or designers, he focuses more on quality.

Well, some of us would debate whether you're really getting better quality from the brands, vs just the name. The theory with buying from a brand is that you're in general getting a pretty nice piece and you're paying for the convenience of that. There's not a lot of focus from many SA's on cut because many just aren't as educated in all aspects of diamond quality as they could be, and their primary focus is not on really educating the buyer, it's really more on making the sale. There are some SAs that really want to educate the buyer, but it seems those are fewer and farther between and really vary by branded store. I find a lot of it is more based on the psychology and emotion of buying the brand, the marketed idea behind the brand, and less about making sure the customer is getting the best their money can buy. The big thing for me with the brands is if it's some specific setting or proprietary cut you cannot get elsewhere, it's worth it. But if it's something that can be gotten elsewhere, it's probably not unless that brand name is really important to you and has been your dream.

Last edited:
I really love the soleste from Tiffany's and I like the destinee and ballerine from cartier. I haven't really looked at any rings from de beers. But soleste is the ring I definitely like the most.

Then that's where I'd focus the search. Maybe go together and look at a few so he can see what cutting style you like. Cushions don't just come in one cutting style, so it's important you both know what appeals to your eyes. I personally think this is one of those ring styles that's good to go branded with. There are a few really great vendors for pave style rings, Steven Kirsch is one who is fantastic. But if you really like the Soleste, get the real thing.

Then that's where I'd focus the search. Maybe go together and look at a few so he can see what cutting style you like. Cushions don't just come in one cutting style, so it's important you both know what appeals to your eyes. I personally think this is one of those ring styles that's good to go branded with. There are a few really great vendors for pave style rings, Steven Kirsch is one who is fantastic. But if you really like the Soleste, get the real thing.

Thank you so much. You've been really helpful, I appreciate it. :smile: my boyfriend and I will get to see each other this weekend (we're long distance) and will be meeting up in a city with a Tiffany's so maybe we'll go take a look this weekend.

If brand isn't important, find a trusted jeweler and design your own ring. You will get a unique piece, a larger and maybe higher quality stone for the money. Yeah, it won't be "brand" but you could get your bands there instead and have a nice shared experience...Exciting news!

Thank you so much. You've been really helpful, I appreciate it. :smile: my boyfriend and I will get to see each other this weekend (we're long distance) and will be meeting up in a city with a Tiffany's so maybe we'll go take a look this weekend.

Once you've seen the brand up close and personal, you can decide if it's truly worth the money to you and if that specific setting is the one for you. Once you try it on you might not love it on your hand, even. Sometimes that happens! If you decide as a couple that the brand isn't important, or you want something different, we can point you towards some other vendors that can give you the look but give you control over the stone and setting.

I'm biased in favour of Tifany's and only shop there now because of the exquisitely awesome customer service I've received.

Cartier ... bleh ... not so much.

The reality is that if you have to go back for any reason, you want to be treated well.