should I redye or sell?

ErinsMom

Jul 2, 2013
So After sseeing vivian2501 redye job, I feel inspired. Well maybe not do it myself but take it to a professional.
I have a reissue 227 in iridescent brown but don't really love it anymore. Was going to sell it but the consignment stores offered me about $2200 buyout! It's in mint ccondition and has all original packaging. At those prices I think I would keep it.

Anyway, do you guys know if iridescent calf/lamb can be dyed to a matte finish? I am assuming chanel will not do it as they probably would say it is altering the design intent.

Can't load picture from my phone some reason.

i saw that redye job and it is truly amazing. note that the leathers are different and what might have worked for that bag may not work on yours. ask vivian about the details of her redye job and i highly recommend that you seek docride's expertise on the hermes forum. she can save leathers of all sorts and she can advise what can and what cannot be done on a particular leather type. i think you can even send her your bag and she can do the job for you. do a search on the hermes forum. there is a thread there devoted to leather maintenance. the thread is a sticky so it's easy to find. hope this helps!

If your bag is in mint condition I say sell it. Why mess with the original dye when the condition is perfect? The leather can feel different after redye. I think redye is great for rescuing old damaged bags tho.

thank you ladies. I will check out the hermes forum.
I do not want to redye either but selling it for that price is very difficult because replacing it would cost me more than double!

here's a pic of the bag.

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 754
I received 4 different quotes with $2400 being highest and $1800 lowest.
maybe i'll try ebay but don't really want to deal with all the hassle! urgh

What's so hard to take is that the resellers then turn around and sell the bag for nearly full current market price. I know because I sold a number of things to one earlier in the year and only got a fraction of the value for brand new never used items. It does beat the scammers market on ebay, though.

Hi - new to the purse forum and in regards to refurbishing Vintage Chanel's I have discovered a way to preserve our 24kt gold hardware. So not to rewrite the lengthy info , Please refer to my comments on the recent Chanel chit chat thread

What's so hard to take is that the resellers then turn around and sell the bag for nearly full current market price. I know because I sold a number of things to one earlier in the year and only got a fraction of the value for brand new never used items. It does beat the scammers market on ebay, though.

yeah but I guess at the end of the day, they are in business and are entitled to make money. I just wish it wasn't such a big cut :smile:

yeah but I guess at the end of the day, they are in business and are entitled to make money. I just wish it wasn't such a big cut :smile:

Yea, I know what you mean....but after being scammed for about $2700 on ebay for a Celine bag, I rather take the loss and sell bags to resellers. No more ebay selling for me what so ever. Since now my only option is to sell to reseller (and only get little $$ back), I think twice before I make any expensive bag purchase!!

Yea, I know what you mean....but after being scammed for about $2700 on ebay for a Celine bag, I rather take the loss and sell bags to resellers. No more ebay selling for me what so ever. Since now my only option is to sell to reseller (and only get little $$ back), I think twice before I make any expensive bag purchase!!

Do you mean you sold on ebay and the buyer pretended it was a fake and you lost your bag and money??? Couldn't it be authenticated?

Oh no, that's scary. I hear about horror stories but never heard what actually happened.

Selling it on ebay would be out of question for me. I wouldn't dye it as well, I wouldn't risk destroying such a gorgeous bag. I would probably store it in my closet, it's always good to have a brown bag. If that is not an option for you, so consignment store is the way to go IMO.

Ebay is really not a place where one wants to be a seller these days; that's why I sold to a reseller (even though I got less than half of what they sold for). Ebay is only for b&m stores and scamming buyers, not for honest small sellers; Donohoe has done all he can to make sure of that one. Buyers can scream fake and ebay refunds them (from your money) with no questions asked these days.

Ebay is really not a place where one wants to be a seller these days; that's why I sold to a reseller (even though I got less than half of what they sold for). Ebay is only for b&m stores and scamming buyers, not for honest small sellers; Donohoe has done all he can to make sure of that one. Buyers can scream fake and ebay refunds them (from your money) with no questions asked these days.

In my case, buyer claimed the box was EMPTY with only paper in there. USPS insurance denied my claim saying the box didn't look damaged or tampered with while in transit. I had tracking number, signature required, only sent to pp verified address, insurance etc. I did everything I thought would protect me but nope, at the end PayPal said as long as buyer filed police report they ALWAYS side with buyer. Even tho her police report is such bogus - she filed it online using her PO Box Post Office physical address as her residence/physical address, obviously not wanting the police know where she actually lives (I only know her PO box address as that's the pp verified address...). I mean, come on, when you file a police report for something stolen, you use your own accurate contact info including your residence address!! Who the heck would use a post office address to file a police report for victim's contact info!? I even went so far to work with her local police and the detective was able to unfound her report in 2 weeks (a police report being unfounded means police concluded that there is no evidence to support her claim that the crime (content stolen) she claimed happened actually happened...). But nope, pp still don't care about the result of police investigation and refunded her all my hard earned money!!! At the end I got neither the bag nor money! I hope this greedy thief will be caught someday I am sure there are more victims of her out there! I now stay away from everything eBay PayPal related!!!

Last edited: