My Buyer's Paypal Acount Is Bad... What to Do?

beth001

Purse Slut
O.G.
Dec 14, 2006
Several weeks ago I listed an authentic Bbag on ebay, and accepted a BO of almost $1,000. I stated in my auction that I would only accept Paypal. Long story short... when my buyer used Paypal, Paypal put a hold on the funds. Apparently her roommate has some unresolved monetary issues with Paypal, which he has no intention of resolving, and since they share the same address, her account with Paypal is not in good standing.

After "investigating" for 2 weeks, Paypal has refunded her money in full. I called yesterday and spoke to two people, including a Paypal supervisor who told me that the buyer COULD pay by selecting "pay by credit card" and then inputting a DIFFERENT credit card number than the one currently associated with her Paypal account. When I explained this to my buyer, she said her account is still "limited" and that she can't accept or receive any payments.

So... what is the story? And what are our options? I certainly am not going to accept a personal check. What else can I do? She wants to pay -- I want to ship, but how do we manage that? I don't want to have to list her as a non-paying buyer, and I'd prefer not to have to re-list the bag, but this is taking forever to resolve and is frustrating the hell out of me.:cursing:

What is wrong with a personal cheque? You don't ship the item until funds have cleared into her account. However bank transfer is the best then you know the money is in your account & she cannot take it back or Western Union, once you have collected the funds they are secure so put these two options to her.

What is wrong with a personal cheque? You don't ship the item until funds have cleared into her account. However bank transfer is the best then you know the money is in your account & she cannot take it back or Western Union, once you have collected the funds they are secure so put these two options to her.

Roz, thanks so much for your help. How do you do a bank transfer? Does that give her info about my bank account or compromise my safety at all?

Roz, thanks so much for your help. How do you do a bank transfer? Does that give her info about my bank account or compromise my safety at all?
No I do it all the time no worries, she cannot access your account. Just send her your account number, sort code, IBAN, name & address of bank, your name & address on account & thats it, good luck!

If you take her personal check, just make sure it has cleared with the bank. sometimes takes 7 WORKING days to clear for an out of state check. working days being monday - friday (saturday and sunday are not counted as working days).

I emailed her earlier today asking for a bank or cashier's check, and suggesting that she mail it to me with tracking, so she could see when it was delivered to me. No, she is going to try to open a new Paypal account using her mother's address, and try to send me the funds that way.

I am SO losing my patience with this whole scenario, but I really want the sale to go through. I had this bag listed 4 times previously with very little activity. She was the only one seriously interested and when I put it up for BO, we came to an agreement on price that didn't hurt me too much. I don't want to aggravate her and lose the sale, so I appreciate being able to come here and gripe. (Can't complain to DH... he would flip if he knew the kind of money I spend on a bag!!) Thanks all.

What about bidpay? You and your buyer could set up accouts works the same as paypal?
I thought of bidpay, and I looked on their site, but it looked to me like I would have had to have a bidpay account already and then set up this auction. Can you come into bidpay "cold" and have them handle an already-finished auction? I couldn't figure that out from their website.:confused1:

What about bidpay? You and your buyer could set up accouts works the same as paypal?
I thought of bidpay, and I looked on their site, but it looked to me like I would have had to have a bidpay account already, and then set up this auction. Can you come into bidpay "cold" and have them handle an already-finished auction? I couldn't figure that out from their website.:confused1:

I thought of bidpay, and I looked on their site, but it looked to me like I would have had to have a bidpay account already, and then set up this auction. Can you come into bidpay "cold" and have them handle an already-finished auction? I couldn't figure that out from their website.:confused1:

That I don't know I have set up myself an account as an item I was interested in only used bidpay, I didn't win but i have an account there....Not really sure how it works for after the fact?

How about having her western union you the money what about a postal money order those are the safest?

Yes you can set up bidpay for an auction that has already taken place. BUT they are picky about letting transactions go thru. But she could never do a charge back like with paypal. So it is safer.

Can you just have her send it western union or something? Bank wire is risky because of account info being given out.