Buyer is harrassing me about shipping charges!

OinkMoo

Totoro
Jun 26, 2011
Hi tPFer, I was wondering if I can get some help. I sold an item on eBay for $100. I charged $15 for a medium box priority shipping via USPS. Long story short, I accidentally bought a small prepaid postage via PP, but I ended up voiding that one and repurchasing a new postage for the medium box at my local post office. When I explained the situation to my buyer, she started giving me a hard time about how I ripped her off on shipping. I did not – as I had to repurchase the postage anyway at my local post office. I mistakenly told her that the shipment will get to her on Friday, but the item is actually coming on Thursday. This buyer keeps harassing me since yesterday and was so rude about the whole situation, she kept saying I ripped her off on shipping and she paid $15 for nothing. Now, I'm a little bit worried that she'll end up filing a complaint with PP and eBay and getting a full refund as well as keeping my wallet. Is that possible at all? Is there any precautions I should be taking?

I tried looking at her feedback but she has everything on private. It makes me even more suspicious. Ugh. I will never sell on eBay again. :sad:

Any help would be truly appreciated!

When the box arrives she will see the amount you paid on the postage label. Did you upload the new tracking info for her? She sounds horrid. if I were you i would refund her the difference if the shipping wasn't exactly $15. I don't think she has a a case, but i am curious as to the size of the wallet that it would need to go in a Medium Priority box.

When the box arrives she will see the amount you paid on the postage label. Did you upload the new tracking info for her? She sounds horrid. if I were you i would refund her the difference if the shipping wasn't exactly $15. I don't think she has a a case, but i am curious as to the size of the wallet that it would need to go in a Medium Priority box.

It's the Alexander Wang Fumo wallet. I included the box as well. It didn't quite fit in the small box, so I had to pay for the medium box. $15 was how much eBay defaulted the medium box to be at, I paid $13 for the postage. I've never had anyone harassing me about shipping, if she didn't like the price, why would she bother buying?

Good advice. Some people can be so petty. That $2.00 refund may be enough to settle her down. Good luck.

Refund the PITA the $2 for shipping, this MIGHT make her happy

Shipping is expense, most people would know this if they shipped anything but we all are use to free shipping that when we have to pay shipping it hurts

Was it a flat rate box or a medium box?

If it was a flat rate box: Next time, keep a variety of boxes on hand so you don't have to use a flat rate box. Items under 2 pounds going coast to coast are cheaper in a regular box. Just keep it under the 1 cubic foot.

If it was a regular Priority Mail box then she will see the postage.

This situation reminds me that we all need to be as specific as possible about the terms of our auctions in our listings. I always try to do so but something new always comes up - and I think in the future I suggest 1) figuring out what size box you will need to pack the item before putting it up for sale and 2) specifying in your auction that you will be using a flat rate medium box (or whatever size) and 3) stating in the auction that the shipping charge is what ebay estimates and instructing buyers not to bid if they are not willing to pay the ebay estimated shipping charge.

Refund the PITA the $2 for shipping, this MIGHT make her happy

Shipping is expense, most people would know this if they shipped anything but we all are use to free shipping that when we have to pay shipping it hurts

Good advice. Some people can be so petty. That $2.00 refund may be enough to settle her down. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I might just end up doing that.

Was it a flat rate box or a medium box?

If it was a flat rate box: Next time, keep a variety of boxes on hand so you don't have to use a flat rate box. Items under 2 pounds going coast to coast are cheaper in a regular box. Just keep it under the 1 cubic foot.

If it was a regular Priority Mail box then she will see the postage.

It was the regular priority mailbox. I'll probably end up refunding her the $2, but seriously, I didn't think this would ever happen to me. People are so rude.

This situation reminds me that we all need to be as specific as possible about the terms of our auctions in our listings. I always try to do so but something new always comes up - and I think in the future I suggest 1) figuring out what size box you will need to pack the item before putting it up for sale and 2) specifying in your auction that you will be using a flat rate medium box (or whatever size) and 3) stating in the auction that the shipping charge is what ebay estimates and instructing buyers not to bid if they are not willing to pay the ebay estimated shipping charge.

This situation all together makes me not want to put anything on eBay again. :lol: Good thing it wasn't a super expensive item, hopefully she doesn't try and pull a SNAD case on me or something. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice, I might just end up doing that.

It was the regular priority mailbox. I'll probably end up refunding her the $2, but seriously, I didn't think this would ever happen to me. People are so rude.

This situation all together makes me not want to put anything on eBay again. :lol: Good thing it wasn't a super expensive item, hopefully she doesn't try and pull a SNAD case on me or something. Thanks for the advice!

If you insured it an assuming the box weighed 2 pounds going for Utah to Florida, your price is reasonable. I would point her to the USPS calculator and have her input her zip and the box weight and insurance. I am showing $14.30 paid at the PO for shipping and insurance at $150.

If I had a dollar for every post I have seen where a buyer is on about a seller 'making money' off of the shipping I could buy a new Prada instead of a used one. And I am not talking about the 'good old days' on Ebay where a seller could charge $500 shipping for a .99 cent item. Thanks in good part to a$$ clowns like that for the past several years sellers have been charged FVF on shipping as well. I am talking about amounts ranging from a few cents to a few dollars. Never mind that is called shipping and handling. Tape, tissue, bubble wrap are not handed out for free by the PO.
Any seller who has been on Ebay for any amount of time will have a plethora of horror stories about buyers whining and haggling over shipping. From the ones telling you that some bulky item will absolutely be able to be crammed into that FRE to the ones requesting a shipping option that you don't offer (sorry I already checked and UPS is more $$$) to the ones who have a hissy that they were not charged EXACT postage (they have already gone around the bend over the fact that they had to pay any shipping at all so those pennies are all important). Never mind that they are already getting a screaming deal and the seller is more likely than not selling at a loss, for some reason the idea that somehow a private Ebay seller is somehow making money from the shipping just sticks in their craw.

All of this over $2? :cray: Yikes! Refund her the $2 and be done with it in my opinion.

This. I don't understand people making such a fuss. It's so stupid!
If I overcharge for shipping, I put the cash in the box. I never give a second thought to what I pay for shipping. I'm always happy when the seller ships right away.