Puzzled by "regular" Phoebe

diogenes

Dec 30, 2012
When Phoebe first came out, there was one size. I loved the three compartment Maggies and knew I would like this lighter version. I ordered and adored her all through spring and summer. Then I put her away and moved into my Rorys for all my school teacher stuff. I need a big bag, always. The original Phoebe was a bigger bag than the small and smaller than the large, but the "regular" is larger than the original, if that makes any sense. I have a hard time ordering anything that's not purple, so when black violet came on the scene, I decided to order the medium Phoebe in black violet.
Well, she came today, and I am perplexed. It's the straps. They seems too short for the length of the bag. I have not taken the paper out or the tags off. I'll have to look at her and really see if I love her as much as I do the original one. The straps are located on the inside on the seam and there's not as much room for shoulder wear, and this is not a bag that I want to carry on my arm. The Coach tags don't really show because they hang on the inside because of the placement of the straps.
I had no way to see this bag in real life so I took advantage of the reveals and comments on TPF. It's hard to translate that into what the actual bag is like without trying it on. I'll look at her again tomorrow, but if I had to say, I'd send her back ASAP. Maybe she'll be better when I take the paper out and load her up, but I don't think that will change the straps configuration, which is bothering me. Love the color--love any of the purples. But, my inclination is to go back to my black or purple Rory and send Phoebe back to JAX. I am not wowed and am more puzzled by the way she's different from my original. When Coach went to three sizes, it looks to me as if they ruined her and didn't get the dimensions right. Just MHO.
diogenes :confused1:

I'm confused as I have three regular Phoebe bags, Cranberry, Dark Plume, and the Black Violet. I had the original Pebble Grey but traded her for the Cranberry. I also had the Camel at one point (and will again soon--yay Macy's), and they are all exactly the same. The Grey and Cranberry both came out before the small or large, so I don't know why yours would be different? How strange! Maybe they sent you the small by accident? What does the tag say?

I'm confused as I have three regular Phoebe bags, Cranberry, Dark Plume, and the Black Violet. I had the original Pebble Grey but traded her for the Cranberry. I also had the Camel at one point (and will again soon--yay Macy's), and they are all exactly the same. The Grey and Cranberry both came out before the small or large, so I don't know why yours would be different? How strange! Maybe they sent you the small by accident? What does the tag say?

No. The dimensions are what the website says. I've measured it and the tag is right.My original is larger than the small, by about an inch. I've measured them all. The first (original) has different dimensions---not like any of the others once Coach went to three sizes. I don't know. I'm going to have to spend some time and look at pros and cons and see if I can love this "medium" Phoebe. I know I don't want small--I like big bags, but I don't want the huge one; it looks out of shape to me too. Maybe I just need to go to some other style. I really hate my own confusion. I wanted to open the box and just swoon; it didn't happen. If I don't fall in love, I send it back. No other option.
diogenes

I'm confused by your description of the straps. Could this just simply be a defective bag? Can you post comparison pics of the new vs old Phoebe so we can see what you mean?

There are only 2 sizes for phoebe. The original and then the small phoebe. I'm confused as to why you think there is a "medium" phoebe. How did you get the impression that there are 3 sizes for phoebe?

There are only 2 sizes for phoebe. The original and then the small phoebe. I'm confused as to why you think there is a "medium" phoebe. How did you get the impression that there are 3 sizes for phoebe?

There is also a large size - in buffalo and hair calf. So three sizes total.

But there's no Phoebe called "regular" or "medium". There is Phoebe. Small Phoebe. And Large Phoebe. That's all. What's the style number of the one you think is weird?

Well, she came today, and I am perplexed. It's the straps. They seems too short for the length of the bag. I have not taken the paper out or the tags off. I'll have to look at her and really see if I love her as much as I do the original one. The straps are located on the inside on the seam and there's not as much room for shoulder wear, and this is not a bag that I want to carry on my arm. The Coach tags don't really show because they hang on the inside because of the placement of the straps.

Forget size comparison for a moment and just boil your post down to this one paragraph. It's clear you don't love it and life's too short to be unhappy with a bag. Return it. :smile:

No. The dimensions are what the website says. I've measured it and the tag is right.My original is larger than the small, by about an inch. I've measured them all. The first (original) has different dimensions---not like any of the others once Coach went to three sizes. I don't know. I'm going to have to spend some time and look at pros and cons and see if I can love this "medium" Phoebe. I know I don't want small--I like big bags, but I don't want the huge one; it looks out of shape to me too. Maybe I just need to go to some other style. I really hate my own confusion. I wanted to open the box and just swoon; it didn't happen. If I don't fall in love, I send it back. No other option.
diogenes

This is so weird! I agree that pics would be good--I'm really curious now!! I also totally agree that if it isn't love it must go back!! I love big bags and would be really bummed about this issue, too, especially since it was totally unexpected!! Sounds like you are also a teacher and love big bags for the same reasons I do. :smile:

Canderson22, thanks for noting that there are three sizes of Phoebes. I love my first Phoebe that I carried all spring and summer. I was po'd when Coach went to the small, Phoebe (which I call medium), and large choices. NONE of those three are the same size as my original first one I bought last February (I think).

I appreciate all of you putting up with my whining and my frustration. I just wanted the black violet (love the color) to move right in and be loved like my first Phoebe. Believe me I measured and looked at everything on TPF I could find about anyone who bought a Phoebe. I wanted to be sure even though the size for Phoebe is not the same as my original Phoebe. The new black violet Phoebe has been in the box since it arrived and I realized it's differences. I am going to get it out and remove the paper stuffing and see if that helps.

You are all right and I am not shy about returning a bag that doesn't meet my expectations. I am somewhat OCD and everything has to be right or it would drive me nuts! So we'll see.

I do not know how to post a photo. That would help because you all could see the differences and know what I mean about the original. Actually, counting the first one I bought and now that Coach added three, there are four Phoebe sizes in the mix. YIKES!

diogenes

Diogenes, please post the style number of your black Violet bag.

The "original" Phoebe is the regular size - the Small and Large came later. What color was your original one? Is it possible you bought black Violet in the Small by mistake? That color does come in both sizes. 24621 is the "regular" size style number and what the original ones would be as well.

There is also a large size - in buffalo and hair calf. So three sizes total.

But there's no Phoebe called "regular" or "medium". There is Phoebe. Small Phoebe. And Large Phoebe. That's all. What's the style number of the one you think is weird?

Thanks for clarifying:smile:! I completely forgot..lol!! I haven't really paid much attention to the larger size and forgot that there are indeed 3 sizes.

When Phoebe first came out, there was one size. I loved the three compartment Maggies and knew I would like this lighter version. I ordered and adored her all through spring and summer. Then I put her away and moved into my Rorys for all my school teacher stuff. I need a big bag, always. The original Phoebe was a bigger bag than the small and smaller than the large, but the "regular" is larger than the original, if that makes any sense. I have a hard time ordering anything that's not purple, so when black violet came on the scene, I decided to order the medium Phoebe in black violet.
I had no way to see this bag in real life so I took advantage of the reveals and comments on TPF. It's hard to translate that into what the actual bag is like without trying it on. I'll look at her again tomorrow, but if I had to say, I'd send her back ASAP. Maybe she'll be better when I take the paper out and load her up, but I don't think that will change the straps configuration, which is bothering me. Love the color--love any of the purples. But, my inclination is to go back to my black or purple Rory and send Phoebe back to JAX. I am not wowed and am more puzzled by the way she's different from my original. When Coach went to three sizes, it looks to me as if they ruined her and didn't get the dimensions right. Just MHO.
diogenes :confused1:

Take the paper out. When my chestnut phoebe came I was carrying it around still stuffed and I was so disappointed. The second I took the paper out and it began to slouch, the love affair began! LOL! Hope that helps.