How do you *you* decide if/when it's time to get rid of a bag?

bumble1

Aug 12, 2007
I went on a bit of a HE handbag binge these last few years, and rarely have the chance to wear all of them. I do love seeing them in my closet, but to be honest I'm starting to wonder how much joy they really bring me (compared to having the money in my bank account or spending on something else). I don't want to let them all go but am trying to decide which to sell.

For you, do you base it more on sheer love for the bag, or the amount of use you get out of the bag, the amount you spent on it, how difficult to find/rare it is?

Could definitely use some input! Thanks.

I have either sold or given to my sister bags which I am no longer crazy in love with, or that I feel no longer work for my style or lifestyle. Over the last couple years I have done this with 5 of my bags, and I honestly do not regret any of them. The money from selling and giving them a new home, or to my sister to enjoy has been completely worth it.

Unless you're wanting to be a handbag collector, it doesn't make sense to keep bags you never use. I'm selling all of mine but one right now, and it feels good.

I have either sold or given to my sister bags which I am no longer crazy in love with, or that I feel no longer work for my style or lifestyle. Over the last couple years I have done this with 5 of my bags, and I honestly do not regret any of them. The money from selling and giving them a new home, or to my sister to enjoy has been completely worth it.
Same here!
I gave a few of my bags to people I love. It's not that I didn't like them anymore, they just didn't fit my lifestyle. I never had any regrets either.

For me, I know it's time to get rid of my bags when I absolutely can't see myself wearing them in the future ever again. When I was younger I used to collect bags of every kind/brand (mostly cheap ones price wise) just because it was a habit. Out of those I only wore 2. It was definitely a waste of money. I gave some away to family members and the ones that nobody wanted I donated to my local thrift shop.

I'm much more careful now when I purchase bags and only buy ones that have a more classic design, goes with everything I wear and most importantly something I know I will wear for a long time to come.

I just sold a bag I hadn't used since 2007 and I knew I would never use again. It had a lot of sentimental meaning, but I honestly didn't want it because I have a beautiful collection of bags I do want to use.

I realized I was keeping too many bags I knew I'd never use because I was attached to them and it was really weighing me down mentally. I felt overwhelmed and guilty when I bought another bag knowing I kept so many I didn't use.

Always sell the bag if you don't use it or can't see yourself using it. Bags really aren't an investment and I don't see the point in "collecting" bags if they are going to be stored in a dust bag in your cupboard - at least have them on show! lol

When I no longer carry a bag, and can no longer foresee an occasion when I will wear it, I give it away or sell it.

I've hesitated to get rid of certain bags in the past, but never regret a decision once it's made and space is cleared out for something new!

Now, I only buy contemporary designer bags that I think I will use for a lifetime. Before, I would buy one non-designer bag and use it for a year until it was falling apart. Then I would be in a rush to buy a new one so I would end up getting one I didn't really like.

There is no need to sell bags. If one hasn't been used in a while, I'll put together an outfit that will get the bag out of the closet.

I plan to use all my bags over time. I'm sure there will be many years where I won't buy a bag since I have a collection now. I'd much rather shop from my closet than be in a position to "need" a new bag and have to make an impulse buy.

I know it's time to get rid of a bag when I can put it in a box in my closet and not miss it for a few weeks. It's actually really difficult!! But I've had the heart to sell some of my bags and not regret it

I know it's time to get rid of a bag when I can put it in a box in my closet and not miss it for a few weeks. It's actually really difficult!! But I've had the heart to sell some of my bags and not regret it
I don't always succeed, but I try not to have more than one or two bags for each "role" in my wardrobe. Basically, I have one structured fall/winter bag and one unstructured/casual one. Ditto for spring/summer, plus I have a couple of evening bags and a couple of weekend/travel day bags. I'd like to find a briefcase-style bag, and then that should be it (ha!) :smile:. If I replace something, then I know it's time for it to go. E.g., I just sold my former fall/winter structured bag (Midnight Proenza Schouler PS1) after I replaced it with a Cherry Fendi 2jours. I did like my PS1, but it was such a pain to get into and out of, and I love the 2jours - no regrets at all!

I sold most of them and gave a few away. Now I am far more selective. The trick I found out for me it to purchase for the lifestyle I have and not the one I dream of. I try to purchase what works within my lifestyle and what I like. Now when and if the thing I like changes, I put it away for a while and see if I like it later if not then I rehome one way or another. I am much for selective now. I also like to have a little flair to my daily life. :smile:

Now, I only buy contemporary designer bags that I think I will use for a lifetime. Before, I would buy one non-designer bag and use it for a year until it was falling apart. Then I would be in a rush to buy a new one so I would end up getting one I didn't really like.

I was always a one at a time non-designer person too and many times had to settle for what was available out of desperation when my 'one' fell apart suddenly.

I don't expect anything to last a lifetime but right now I have 2 Coach, 2 LAMB and 1 LV that work for daytime, and a couple of smaller bags.that I only use for parties/church.

They are all in good condition but one of the Coach ones just doesn't work for me (open top and falls over and things fall out).

My building has a clothing/purse drive once a year for poor people trying to enter the workforce and I'm holding onto it for the next one (contemporary designer items sell for so little compared to the retail price that I'd rather give it to someone who needs it than try to sell it).

What is the point of having so many bags that they can't get regular use? The decision of getting rid of them comes down to a few things for me, first how often dose it get used, second dose it fit my lifestyle (threw trial & error I know what styles work for me and which ones don't what materials I like and which ones to avoid), third dose it have sentimental value too me(ie was this a gift?), and fourth is it worth my time & energy selling it. Some of the bags I have that would sell pretty quickly and get a decent return but they are one's I don't want to sell. Some I would like to sell aren't worth the bother of selling because I'd get so little for them, those I either rehome or donate.