Should I replace tarnished hardware on vintage bag?

zestypasta

O.G.
Sep 21, 2006
Hi, I usually only post on the Balenciaga forum, but I have a question. I have a vintage smaller flap black Chanel, the I purchased for my mother at Barneys about 18 to 20 years ago. I don't know what is called exactly as I am not a Chanel girl. I haven't even seen it it years, and see that the hardware is starting to tarnish/ peel slightly.

She lives in a relatively humid city. I am surprised though. It was worn only occasionally. Researching I saw only one other vintage bag in person at a local store that had this wear on the chain, actually much worse, but they weren't specific about the age.

That the best picture I could get.

My question is should I replace hardware through Chanel, or let vintage be vintage? :graucho:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 784
doesnt look bad in my eyes... :smile:

Thanks! I don't think it looks so either, but I was alarmed to see this I must admit. I didn't know it could happen to this bag. I know my 20plus year old LV turns all kind of colors, chips, and such, but I'm used to that.

Just have no experience with these bags, and recently was strong enough to walk past a cobalt blue jumbo:biggrin:

I would leave it. It doesn't look that bad and I don't know about your bag specifically, but I read somewhere that the older Chanel bags had gold plated hardware. :smile: