Packing a Veneta for travel

Oct 17, 2007
Hi BVettes,

Friday I'm traveling down to Florida for a long weekend, and would like to bring my large Veneta but I am planning to carry a different bag (a tote) for the flight, so I would need to pack my BV. I'm thinking it would probably be alright to pack it in it's dustbag, flat in my suitcase...but has anyone done this and did it work out OK?

Peripherally related, I just remembered this anecdote from a recent trip, and forgot to share it with you all at the time, so I'll share it now:

My husband and I travel back and forth to south Florida on a semi-regular basis to visit family; the last time we were in the Ft. Lauderdale airport, our flight was delayed because of weather so we decided to grab dinner. There was a huge line at the restaurant (presumably because of others in the same boat) and we were behind a family.

The mom had a Cabat (don't know what the color was, but it was a beautiful silver) and she had it sitting on the floor. When the time came to move forward in the line, instead of picking it up she just kicked it forward with her foot (across the dirty floor). She proceeded to do this the whole time as the line moved forward. I was dying a little bit inside every time she kicked it and I heard it go *scrape, scrape, scrape*. My husband and I talked about it later, and I was all like, "How could she DO that to such a gorgeous bag???"...my husband (ever the wise one) looked at me nonplussed and said, "Easy. She just didn't care." I suppose he's right and some people might not care, but to this day I occasionally think about her and wish I could have done some sort of Cabat rescue intervention! :lol:

That depends on the style of the bag. If you're afraid of it getting squished and deformed you could stuff your clothes in the bag before putting it into your luggage. I do that all the time :smile:

Honestly, I'm always concerned about putting a designer bag(s) in my suitcase.

I might pack it if you must, but maybe not in the BV dustbag, maybe in another
dustbag or a pillow case. I'm always concerned if someone goes through my luggage
Probably more concerned than I should be.. but what if

Any your husband is right.. Some people take very good care of their things
& others don't...

I'm always so careful about putting my BV's down. Sometimes I get a couple napkins or a paper towel to use beneath the bag. Can't imagine doing that to a Cabat. Airport floors must be the dirtiest surfaces ever.

If you must pack the BV, don't use the designer dustbag. As Hotshot said, a pillowcase or some generic covering would be safer. And stuffing a few pieces of clothing inside to hold the shape is a good idea.

I would hand-carry the BV in case the suitcase got lost in transit. Also, I'd put the BV in another bag (one of those lightweight foldable shoppers) when placing it in the X-Ray machine to prevent it from getting stained. It happened to a taupe-coloured bag of mine, which was never the same again :cry:

Peripherally related, I just remembered this anecdote from a recent trip, and forgot to share it with you all at the time, so I'll share it now:
The mom had a Cabat (don't know what the color was, but it was a beautiful silver) and she had it sitting on the floor. When the time came to move forward in the line, instead of picking it up she just kicked it forward with her foot (across the dirty floor). She proceeded to do this the whole time as the line moved forward. I was dying a little bit inside every time she kicked it and I heard it go *scrape, scrape, scrape*. My husband and I talked about it later, and I was all like, "How could she DO that to such a gorgeous bag???"...my husband (ever the wise one) looked at me nonplussed and said, "Easy. She just didn't care." I suppose he's right and some people might not care, but to this day I occasionally think about her and wish I could have done some sort of Cabat rescue intervention! :lol:
The bag may have been a replica, so that would certainly explain her treatment of it. I would choose to think that it was, rather than think a mother with kids and a several-thousand-dollar handbag would kick it to move it along.

Thanks ladies. I hadn't really focused on the possiblity of it getting lost/stolen, I was more worried about it getting smooshed. I'm so glad I asked you all--I would hate for either of those things to happen!!

I will need to rethink my plan, I guess...I was thinking that by carrying it on the flight, it would have to go through x-ray and also get stowed (either overhead or on the floor), and I would I run the risk of something bad happening. Yack, your idea of putting it in another bag is a good one!

India, I hear what you're saying and the same thought has crossed my mind. And I'm certainly no expert on authenticating Cabats! I am tempted to think it wasn't a replica, though, just based on the way this family 'presented' overall, and I remember seeing that it also had the pouch that comes with it sticking out amongst all of the other stuff she had in there. But appearances don't necessarily mean anything either way, I know (says the woman who sometimes goes out looking like a hot mess, wearing uber cheap clothes, with a BV slung on her shoulder :lol:).

The bag may have been a replica, so that would certainly explain her treatment of it. I would choose to think that it was, rather than think a mother with kids and a several-thousand-dollar handbag would kick it to move it along.

I was thinking this, too. I saw a woman at Target with a replica having never seen a Cabat in real life, I couldn't peg it as a replica. (She told me).

Oh my! Based on the comments above, if you saw me out and about, then you'd probably think i was wearing a replica. I don't baby my bags at all. I certainly don't kick them and I wouldn't put it down in mud or water, but I expect a bag to work with my life and if I need to put it down on the street I will. I don't use rain protectors and I don't use a napkin when placing it on the floor. I stuff them full if my load requires it.

As for the Veneta, I'd lay it in the suitcase flat. I have also just put the Veneta in the tote. Perhaps I'm too trusting, I have put BVs in my suit case.

:sad::nono: kicking her cabat over the floor
she either had more money than god
received it as a gift and has no idea
or your DH is right and she just doesn't care

your Veneta should be fine packed flat in itl's duster

Hi BVettes,

Friday I'm traveling down to Florida for a long weekend, and would like to bring my large Veneta but I am planning to carry a different bag (a tote) for the flight, so I would need to pack my BV. I'm thinking it would probably be alright to pack it in it's dustbag, flat in my suitcase...but has anyone done this and did it work out OK?

My husband and I travel back and forth to south Florida on a semi-regular basis to visit family; the last time we were in the Ft. Lauderdale airport, our flight was delayed because of weather so we decided to grab dinner. There was a huge line at the restaurant (presumably because of others in the same boat) and we were behind a family.

I never put my BV on the floor
first of all the floor is dirty and I don't want the dirt rubbing off on my clothes
plus it is my baby and I wouldn't put my baby on a dirty floor

suggestions to hand carry your bag are very good

I never check my BVs because I worry about them being lost or stolen. I travel almost every week for biz. My new routine is to carry an XL Herve Chapelier bag along with my carry on Tumi. I tuck my computer, "3-1-1s", and bag into it. When going thru the security checkpoint, out come the "3-1-1s". I zip up the Chapelier tote to ensure my BV bag is safe. I started doing this because I wanted to fly with my Cabat. On board the Tumi goes into the overhead bin and the Chapelier tote with my BV inside slides under the seat. No worries about what is on that airplane floor because HC tote bottoms are water proof. The XL would easily accommodate an additional empty BV bag. Hope this helps.

Oh my! Based on the comments above, if you saw me out and about, then you'd probably think i was wearing a replica. I don't baby my bags at all. I certainly don't kick them and I wouldn't put it down in mud or water, but I expect a bag to work with my life and if I need to put it down on the street I will. I don't use rain protectors and I don't use a napkin when placing it on the floor. I stuff them full if my load requires it.

As for the Veneta, I'd lay it in the suitcase flat. I have also just put the Veneta in the tote. Perhaps I'm too trusting, I have put BVs in my suit case.
you wouldn't want to see me at the airport. i agree with grietje- i really use my bags.
my cabat goes right in the bin and gets "moved" under the seat- same with my veneta. i don't pack bags in my suitcase and rarely in my carry on.
if i am using a cabat as a carry on and a veneta as a handbag then i am covered. i don't carry a bag specifically to carry another bag. quite frankly that is one of the things i love about bv- they really are workhorse bags.
my advice- carry your veneta and don't worry.