What Happens to Unsold Boutique Sale Stock?

ValleyO

O.G.
Mar 18, 2006
Now that Chanel boutiques seem to be going with a single markdown, I have a question: what happens to all the unsold stock?

This isn't really a problem for bags or shoes, but even as the last sale ended there seemed to be A LOT of RTW left. Without an outlet or a second cut to move inventory, I'm at a loss as to where they all go. A giant sale for Chanel employees? Burned in a giant bonfire?

Enquiring minds want to know :P

From what I know they first go to a 30% sale, then the second cut is 50%. After that they supposedly destroy what's left.

*my boutique usually has a seasonal sale that's 30% off. 50% off happens twice a year, one mid year and one boxing day. Unfortunately bags don't go for sale here so I can only speak for all the shoes, accessories and RTW.

Though, how do you know that Chanel is going with a single markdown? Is the outlet closed? :confused1:

During the last boutique sale, nothing was marked down past 40%; in the past, they've taken a second cut before finally pulling items from the floor. There's no guarantee the second cut is gone for good, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The outlet in NY has been closed for a couple years now.

I've seen some past season RTW make it to the sales floor at 50% off, but beyond that I'm not sure. Really curious if they do destroy the merchandise, I believe LV does the same when they discontinue certain pieces. Seems quite wasteful imo.

After the sales they do destroy bags and other stuff, at least in France, to avoid having to sell them with a huge discount...they believe it would cheapen the brand! Hermes does the same.