What happens when you find out you purchased fake?? Esp international sale.

luv2run41

May 30, 2012
I am pretty sure I ended up with a fake. I just posted request. The bag is from Greece and I am in USA> IS there any difference in getting a refund if it is an international sale? I wondered also if more difficult to file and win a claim if the bag is fake as opposed to if the bag was damaged??> I did pay by credit card. THANK YOU!!:smile::smile:

Have you contacted the seller? I am in a similar situation, I am from Greece (coincidence :smile:) and purchased a fake Chloe from UK. I did not have the chance to open a case with ebay due to a problem with my payment, but I did through paypal, a SNAD case. Ladies here told me to escalate, since the seller refused to refund me, so I escalated it. I don't know if paypal will ask me to provide an official signatured mail from Authenticate4U, I opened the case yesterday and now it says ''waiting seller's response''. But as far as I have read, for SNAD items, it is better to open a case with ebay. But first, it is best to contact the seller and see what she have to say.

I see in the listing that she states she bought the bag from Attica department store in Athens. Attica is indeed a high-end department store in Athens, that sells luxury and authentic items. Since the bag is fake, I don't thinks she bought it there...

I see in the listing that she states she bought the bag from Attica department store in Athens. Attica is indeed a high-end department store in Athens, that sells luxury and authentic items. Since the bag is fake, I don't thinks she bought it there...

The OP didn't say it's fake. As highlighted in her post below, she's "pretty sure" it's fake. I don't believe it's been authenticated.

It's possible the seller lied about where she bought it or it's possible that the buyer might be mistaken.

In this case, before opening a dispute or before even accusing the seller, the OP should post the bag on the appropriate AT thread.

I am pretty sure I ended up with a fake.

ETA:
Well, my update is that the bag has been confirmed to be fake: http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vu...-format-post-1-a-837080-131.html#post25521875

Last edited:
The OP didn't say it's fake. As highlighted in her post below, she's "pretty sure" it's fake. I don't believe it's been authenticated.

It's possible the seller lied about where she bought it or it's possible that the buyer might be mistaken.

In this case, before opening a dispute or before even accusing the seller, the OP should post the bag on the appropriate AT thread.

OP said she posted request for the bag in her first post, so I checked her posts to see the bag she is talking about. It's a LV and she posted it here, on LV authentication thread, and it was deemed fake!

http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vu...ead-rules-use-format-post-1-a-837080-131.html

I based my answer on that!

Thank you, do you think I should open an ebay claim regardless. She does take returns but with international I am not sure how tracking would work. I feel so foolish that I bought a fake. This was the first bag I purchased without authentication, I have learned my lesson! I did email seller and kindly asked for full refund including return shipping. I am hoping atleast I get a full refund even if I have to pay shipping back. In my message I did state the bag was authenticated on TPF and deemed fake. I felt bad but she did say she purchased at a department store so she must have lied in the listing. Thank you for your support!:smile:

Thank you, do you think I should open an ebay claim regardless. She does take returns but with international I am not sure how tracking would work. I feel so foolish that I bought a fake. This was the first bag I purchased without authentication, I have learned my lesson! I did email seller and kindly asked for full refund including return shipping. I am hoping atleast I get a full refund even if I have to pay shipping back. In my message I did state the bag was authenticated on TPF and deemed fake. I felt bad but she did say she purchased at a department store so she must have lied in the listing. Thank you for your support!:smile:
Many sellers lie in listings about where they purchased their items.

I'm not familiar with the Greek department store she mentioned but I did look on the store's website and as far as I can tell, they don't have a Louis Vuitton boutique in the store.

Generally, I would suggest trying to work it out with the seller but in this case, I would open a dispute since it's an international transaction. And for tracked and signed shipping on this item, the return shipping can be a heft chunk of change.

Although I think ebay is far too generous with "our" money when they send prepaid labels for returns and when they issue "courtesy refunds," in this case, I don't think it's fair for you to have to pay for return shipping out of your pocket.

If the seller agrees to make you whole, i.e., refund full purchase price and shipping (both directions) upon return, you can try to resolve it without opening a dispute but if the 45-day limit draws close and she isn't honoring her promise, you'll be able to open a dispute, prove the return and get your refund.

Last edited:
Many sellers lie in listings about where they purchased their items.

I'm not familiar with the Greek department store she mentioned but I did look on the store's website and as far as I can tell, they don't have a Louis Vuitton boutique in the store.

Generally, I would suggest trying to work it out with the seller but in this case, I would open a dispute since it's an international transaction. And for tracked and signed shipping on this item, the return shipping can be a heft chunk of change.

Although I think ebay is far too generous with "our" money when they send prepaid labels for returns and when they issue "courtesy refunds," in this case, I don't think it's fair for you to have to pay for return shipping out of your pocket.

If the seller agrees to make you whole, i.e., refund full purchase price and shipping (both directions) upon return, you can try to resolve it without opening a dispute but if the 45-day limit draws close and she isn't honoring her promise, you'll be able to open a dispute, prove the return and get your refund.

Wow! Thank you so much for your time and help. I really appreciate it and it was so nice of you. I really love this site! We have so many wonderful members. :smile::smile:

Yes, I saw it! So sorry fo the OP that the bag is fake...

This is my response to my emails to seller.... She will take the bag back but 22.00 original shipping and return total 44.00 cost to me. Also, I think it is illegal to send a counterfeit in the mail.. What do I do??

Hello,

First of all I am very sorry for what happened. I am so sad that you believe the purse is not authentic, mainly because I paid so much money on the department store to buy it and I cant believe that I never knew that the bag was not authentic. I am really shocked right now and I honestly dont know what I am going to do with it since its a replica...
Secondly, I tottaly understand that you dont want it since its not authentic, therefore you have a 100% the right to want a full refund. Unfortunately I cant return you the original shipping fees or pay the return shipping myself, and that is also mentioned on the listing (''returns: 14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping- details: original fees are not refundable''). BUT, of course you can return it back to me and as soon as I receive it, I will send you a full refund for the price that you paid.
I am so sorry that we had to get to that point, honestly.

I am waiting for your response,
Orsalia.

This is my response to my emails to seller.... She will take the bag back but 22.00 original shipping and return total 44.00 cost to me. Also, I think it is illegal to send a counterfeit in the mail.. What do I do??

Hello,

First of all I am very sorry for what happened. I am so sad that you believe the purse is not authentic, mainly because I paid so much money on the department store to buy it and I cant believe that I never knew that the bag was not authentic. I am really shocked right now and I honestly dont know what I am going to do with it since its a replica...
Secondly, I tottaly understand that you dont want it since its not authentic, therefore you have a 100% the right to want a full refund. Unfortunately I cant return you the original shipping fees or pay the return shipping myself, and that is also mentioned on the listing (''returns: 14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping- details: original fees are not refundable''). BUT, of course you can return it back to me and as soon as I receive it, I will send you a full refund for the price that you paid.
I am so sorry that we had to get to that point, honestly.

I am waiting for your response,
Orsalia.
Hum no.
Since the bag is fake, the seller has to give you the money back period.
Perhaps you need to remind her that selling counterfeit items is against the law.
It could get worst for her.
She could be out of a bag and out of ALL the money.
And be naru'd.
It is up to her.
Let her know that you expect a full refund or that you will file with paypal.
Sending that bag back to Greece insured and tracked would cost you plenty and you would assume some risk.
She is bluffing, imo.

Although she's not obligated to pay return shipping, most honest sellers would do that. But your initial shipping is fully refundable when you win the dispute.

If she refuses to cover at least the initial shipping, open a dispute and she'll not only have a "counterfeit ding" on her account, but she'll pay the shipping too.

Return shipping will be on you (probably) unless ebay forces her to pay it. Be sure to return with signature confirmation (online viewable). It's required for items of $250+.

Honest mistake or not, she was wrong to list a fake and is further wrong in not doing the honorable thing after finding out that she sold a fake.

Although she's not obligated to pay return shipping, most honest sellers would do that. But your initial shipping is fully refundable when you win the dispute.

If she refuses to cover at least the initial shipping, open a dispute and she'll not only have a "counterfeit ding" on her account, but she'll pay the shipping too.

Return shipping will be on you (probably) unless ebay forces her to pay it. Be sure to return with signature confirmation (online viewable). It's required for items of $250+.

Honest mistake or not, she was wrong to list a fake and is further wrong in not doing the honorable thing after finding out that she sold a fake.

How can it be an honest mistake?
Do the Greek department stores sell counterfeits?
If you read the seller's description, it is very, very ambiguous.....

<<It was purchased for the price of 700 euros, by Attica department store in Greece.>>
Same with the response to the OP....
Does Paypal require authentication nowadays?
The OP should call and explain the situation to a rep.
Why should she be out of pocket expenses it is not fair to her, imo.