My Cabas Phantom is Falling Apart After a Couple Weeks

radsres

O.G.
Feb 14, 2010
Hi,

I bought this bag (Medium Cabas Phantom in Souris) earlier in the summer at Barney's but didn't use it as I usually go for smaller bags in the summer. I pulled it out recently to start using in the fall and I love it except today I noticed something sad. There is a bubble growing on one of the wings where the lining is separating from the outer leather. At first I thought that this was just a crease developing from when I fold the wings in but when I looked at it more closely, it's actually a bubble and when you touch it, it moves around and you can hear the crackling of the glue between the 2 layers.

I am so upset. Over $2100 and such poor quality. What do you ladies recommend? Should I take it to the Celine boutique here in NYC? Will they even be able to do anything to help?

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,966
I experienced this same problem with one of my LINED cabas. The glue/adhesive is coming apart and you can literally pull the interior leather and the exterior piece apart! Bring it to the store and see what they say.

Hope they will do something about it! Sending good thoughts your way.

I experienced this same problem with one of my LINED cabas. The glue/adhesive is coming apart and you can literally pull the interior leather and the exterior piece apart! Bring it to the store and see what they say.

Hope they will do something about it! Sending good thoughts your way.

Thank you for replying. What did you do with your bag?

The bag was bought in Cali but I live in NYC and won't be back in Cali anytime soon. Do you think if I took it to a boutique here that they would give me a hard time? I actually have had no experience with the Celine boutique in NYC as I bought my other bags in Paris.

Thank you for replying. What did you do with your bag?

The bag was bought in Cali but I live in NYC and won't be back in Cali anytime soon. Do you think if I took it to a boutique here that they would give me a hard time? I actually have had no experience with the Celine boutique in NYC as I bought my other bags in Paris.

Okay the big difference with mine is that the bubble didn't show on the outside. So from the outside all looks well but the inside is not so pretty. I should take some photos to share later. Mine was the linen with black lambskin vertical bi-cabas.

I think it is worth the time to call the store in Cali and explain to them what happened before going to to Barney's in NYC?

I called Celine NY and was surprised to hear that they don't really stand behind their bags unless you purchase from them directly.

I then called Barneys NY and spoke to someone who suggested bringing the bag in to be looked at. I'll probably head over there this weekend and keep you guys posted.

Slightly depressed about this.

Take it back to Barney's, your purchase will be in the system. I don't think there is much you can do about the bubble, honestly on a bag that price they should exchange it - it's unacceptable. I have a luggage tote where the filling on the handle detached from inside the bag, or was never long enough to begin with. It's such BS that a $2,000 + bag would have issues. Even though I think I got a fluke, I haven't bought a Celine since.

Hope you get this resolved! Keep us posted!

I can't believe Celine NY would act like that. Although I am from New York, I guess I'll just stick to purchasing my Celine's at either Barney's or Bergdorfs!
i've had really good experiences buying celine at barney's and bergdorf in nyc. on the contrary, walking into the celine boutique, the salespeople are rude and disinterested.

Take it back to Barney's, your purchase will be in the system. I don't think there is much you can do about the bubble, honestly on a bag that price they should exchange it - it's unacceptable. I have a luggage tote where the filling on the handle detached from inside the bag, or was never long enough to begin with. It's such BS that a $2,000 + bag would have issues. Even though I think I got a fluke, I haven't bought a Celine since.

Hope you get this resolved! Keep us posted!
you think the bubble can't be fixed? like could they not undo the two layers and then reattach them? although honestly, the thought of that happening to the bag makes me cringe.

i doubt they even have more of the exact bag.

i've had really good experiences buying celine at barney's and bergdorf in nyc. on the contrary, walking into the celine boutique, the salespeople are rude and disinterested.
Agree.
I experienced different services from Celine store inside department store and Celine Boutique: SA from boutique is disinterested just like you said, but SA from dept store is friendly and helpful. Definitely I prefer shopping in department store.

Hope you will have the problem fixed soon. Best wishes.