EXPERTS: Thoughts on shilling on this auction?

Sep 11, 2006
Whatever is going on to me I would feel the auction screams FAKE BAG--the bag is dirty inside too. UGH... I would run away from this listing. Tell the person you would like to buy the bag and meet at the nearest LV store for her to get a copy of her receipt and to make sure it is authentic. I am sure there will be a major excuse on why this can't be don. Seller is selling a LV and nail polish in her auctions. If you have money to buy expensive designer bags are you going to be selling a few bottles of cheap polish on Ebay>??????

Seems like the same seller with different ID's. Shipping 5.95--I guess the seller does not need to insure such a expensive bag?????

Whatever is going on to me I would feel the auction screams FAKE BAG--the bag is dirty inside too. UGH... I would run away from this listing. Tell the person you would like to buy the bag and meet at the nearest LV store for her to get a copy of her receipt and to make sure it is authentic. I am sure there will be a major excuse on why this can't be don. Seller is selling a LV and nail polish in her auctions. If you have money to buy expensive designer bags are you going to be selling a few bottles of cheap polish on Ebay>??????

Seems like the same seller with different ID's. Shipping 5.95--I guess the seller does not need to insure such a expensive bag?????

To be honest, I didn't look at the other listings.

As for shipping, there are caps on postage costs in the bags section on ebay.co.uk and this bag would cost, around £27 GBP to post within the UK due to its weight and full insurance, but ebay will ONLY let you charge £7 GBP so you have to subsidise postage anyway. And ebay takes 10% of the postage you charge now too. So I don't really worry about postage costs on listings!

I don't see shill bidding. I think it's a newbie who placed two bids on the item and didn't pay for it. The listing ended October 1 and the seller until the UID ended to relist.

If there was anything suspicious, I'd speak up. :smile:

Again, I don't see any red flags in the seller's listings -- not in this LV one nor in others.

ETA: Although I suspect an honest mistake, the seller has the LV listing in the wrong category. Her other items are health and beauty and it looks like she goofed when listing this one.

As for authenticity, I have no idea.

If you are desperate for this bag, the girl states she works in London. Go to A LV store there to see if it is real and have her get a copy of her receipt. Says the bag is new. Zoom in on the picture of the bag opened. That is not a new looking inside of a purse to me. It looks used and dirty to me but that is just my thoughts.

Last edited:
If you are desperate for this bag, the girl states she works in London. Go to A LV store there to see if it is real and have her get a copy of her receipt. Says the bag is new. Zoom in on the picture of the bag opened. That is not a new looking inside of a purse to me. It looks used and dirty to me but that is just my thoughts.
The OP was asking about the bidding and whether that was suspicious. That's the question I answered.

She can verify authenticity separately on the ATLV thread.

I am not saying the bag is fake but in my personal opinion the whole listing is so crazy I would serious have doubts at first because of what the Seller says.

She lists the bag as New in the heading box. New means unworn with no signs of wear. But in her description way down the seller says she only wore it a few times. I think the zoom of the inside of the bag looks dirty to me.
I myself would feel a seller lied to list it as New and then go on to say only wore it a few. times. So to me this is a outright lie by a seller to list a used item as new.
Lost receipt first auction/ found receipt. Just get a new one from LV.

Seems to want to sell in person versus mailing the bag out. Does this mean cash to seller-which gives you no protection. I don't think I ever read a auction where the seller seemed so set on meeting in person to sell a item.
The shipping price got me. I am in the US and we insure expensive designer bags so to read about this shipping price with no mention of insurance I was confused. I guess you have a whole different way of dong things there? That itself made me think why no mention of insurance and a high insurance value would not be n the bag.
I as a buyer would find it strange to see a high end bag selling with other low priced auctions such as nail polish things listed under ten dollars. Just my personal opinions which are neither right or wrong.

Hopefully the buyer sells her bag and a seeker is happy to buy it.

Sorry I added to this thread because you only wanted an answer about shill billing. I guess I was wrong to say anything else and I apologize for my mistake.

Last edited:
I am not saying the bag is fake but in my personal opinion the whole listing is so crazy I would serious have doubts because of what the Seller says.

She lists the bag as New in the heading box. But in her description says she only wore it a few times.

Seems to want to sell in person versus mailing the bag out. Kind of dresses wants to wet up to sell the bag. Does this mean cash seller-which gives you no protection.

I as a buyer would find it strange to see a high end bag selling with other low priced auctions such as nail polish things listed under ten dollars. Just my personal opinions which are neither right or wrong.

Using "new" in both title and item specifics and admitting to have used the items is wrong and the seller is setting herself up for SNAD. Many sellers, including experienced ones, do this and it's wrong.

However, you're reading way too much into the seller's motives to come up with your other suspicions.

As for the seller having or not having a receipt means nothing. Receipts can be faked and dishonest sellers can and do use genuine receipts to "prove" authenticity of their fakes. It's the details of the items themselves that prove authenticity.

As I said, a prospective buyer can and should have the bag and wallet authenticated.

I am not saying the bag is fake but in my personal opinion the whole listing is so crazy I would serious have doubts at first because of what the Seller says.

She lists the bag as New in the heading box. New means unworn with no signs of wear. But in her description way down the seller says she only wore it a few times. I think the zoom of the inside of the bag looks dirty to me.
I myself would feel a seller lied to list it as New and then go on to say only wore it a few. times. So to me this is a outright lie by a seller to list a used item as new.

Seems to want to sell in person versus mailing the bag out. Does this mean cash to seller-which gives you no protection. I don't think I ever read a auction where the seller seemed so set on meeting in person to sell a item.
The shipping price got me. I am in the US and we insure expensive designer bags so to read about this shipping price with no mention of insurance I was confused. I guess you have a whole different way of dong things there? That itself made me think why no mention of insurance and a high insurance value would not be n the bag.

Sorry I added to this thread because you only wanted an answer about shill billing. I guess I was wrong to say anything else and I apologize for my mistake.

I wasn't ignoring everything else - it just wasn't what I was curious about. I have all the additional information I need for authentication.

I tend to disregard what sellers put in the drop down boxes about condition. Whilst I agree with you that used is used, other people disagree. So my theory is ignore it, ask questions and request additional photographs.

As for shipping, you would not believe the amount of items I receive that are valued in the hundreds and only insured for around 40 GBP. Our postage is expensive as I understand it compared to other countries and ebay doesn't allow you to charge the actual amount anymore. So sellers either (a) pay out of pocket or (b) run the risk. I think a lot are opting for option (b) at this point in time. Equally, I don't think a lot of sellers realise the implication of lack of insurance.

Finally, I don't think (although don't quote me) that there is an option for insurance on ebay UK. I say that because you cannot buy insurance separate to the postage product via the PO - you have to purchase the postage product that carries insurance (which in this case is only Special Delivery - next day service - and the basic level of insurance for that is £500.)

I wasn't ignoring everything else - it just wasn't what I was curious about. I have all the additional information I need for authentication.

I tend to disregard what sellers put in the drop down boxes about condition. Whilst I agree with you that used is used, other people disagree. So my theory is ignore it, ask questions and request additional photographs.

As for shipping, you would not believe the amount of items I receive that are valued in the hundreds and only insured for around 40 GBP. Our postage is expensive as I understand it compared to other countries and ebay doesn't allow you to charge the actual amount anymore. So sellers either (a) pay out of pocket or (b) run the risk. I think a lot are opting for option (b) at this point in time. Equally, I don't think a lot of sellers realise the implication of lack of insurance.

Finally, I don't think (although don't quote me) that there is an option for insurance on ebay UK. I say that because you cannot buy insurance separate to the postage product via the PO - you have to purchase the postage product that carries insurance (which in this case is only Special Delivery - next day service - and the basic level of insurance for that is £500.)

There are many sellers (myself included) that self insure or do not insure at all. For a seller who sells a lot, purchasing insurance on each item may not prove to be financially smart. For example, in seven plus years of selling, I think I only had one loss by USPS (knock on wood). It was an item around $350. It was not insured, I refunded the buyer and ate the loss. If I had insured every item I shipped domestically, it would have cost me thousands of $$$, so the way I look at it: I lost $350, but I saved thousands.
Now, for an occasional seller, it may make sense to insure, because if the seller does not sell that much and only one item gets lost, that may be a bigger loss then the savings in insurance costs.

using "new" in both title and item specifics and admitting to have used the items is wrong and the seller is setting herself up for snad. Many sellers, including experienced ones, do this and it's wrong.

However, you're reading way too much into the seller's motives to come up with your other suspicions.

As for the seller having or not having a receipt means nothing. Receipts can be faked and dishonest sellers can and do use genuine receipts to "prove" authenticity of their fakes. It's the details of the items themselves that prove authenticity.

As i said, a prospective buyer can and should have the bag and wallet authenticated.

+1