I desperatly need your expert opinions

disney16

Sofa King Delicious
O.G.
May 26, 2006
Hello-

I sold a Burberry wallet on Ebay that I purchsed from Ebay (2012) and even had it checked out on this site.

I also compared the wallet myself to the other wallets sold at the Burberry outlet and it was identical and the seller that I purchased it from told me that she purchased it from Bloomindales.

I even provided her with the link and the page numbers of where I had the wallet checked out on this site and I know that the wallet is authentic.

Now she wants her money back and is stating that it's not authentic.

What would you do?

Hello-

I sold a Burberry wallet on Ebay that I purchsed from Ebay (2012) and even had it checked out on this site.

I also compared the wallet myself to the other wallets sold at the Burberry outlet and it was identical and the seller that I purchased it from told me that she purchased it from Bloomindales.

I even provided her with the link and the page numbers of where I had the wallet checked out on this site and I know that the wallet is authentic.

Now she wants her money back and is stating that it's not authentic.

What would you do?
I wonder if you have the same buyer I had about 18 months ago. I sold a Burb item that I'd purchased from Filene's Basement (now out of business) and new it was genuine.

I knew the buyer was wrong and suspected buyer's remorse. (In my case, she told me she'd taken it to a Burb store and they said they "couldn't confirm authenticity" and she took that to mean it was questionable.)

I told the buyer to return it, I got it back, verified that it was my same item, paid $7 to A4U to confirm what I knew and then relisted it.

Your buyer either changed her mind, doesn't know the brand as well as she thinks she does or just doesn't want it. Take it back and relist.

ETA: Another suggestion if it's not a case of buyer's remorse and if she really believes it's fake is to direct her to the AT Burb thread here or to A4U. If it's just reassurance she's looking for, it might end well for you.

She's stating that the wallet is fake because it's missing the Equestrian Horse on the front however I posted pics of both front and back of the wallet, There is an ink stain on the front but not on the back. Front the pictures she would see that there is no horse. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1380658311.223176.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1380658335.122415.jpg

I was also able to confirm with Burberry that now all wallets will have the horse in the center. He said back when this wallet was made they were not focusing on centering the horse and she is only looking a recent pics.

I've decided to fight for this one.

She is probably reading some of those eBay authenticity guides that are wrong or outdated like 80% of the time.

I'd probably just take the return.

I'm going with my instincts on this one and sticking it out.

She keeps disputing the missing horse in the center but I told her the pics don't show a horse in the center.

If they may make me refund the money I will, but not without a fight first.

I'm going with my instincts on this one and sticking it out.

She keeps disputing the missing horse in the center but I told her the pics don't show a horse in the center.

If they may make me refund the money I will, but not without a fight first.

Good luck, OP!

In this case, who does eBay ask (buyer or seller) to prove authenticity?

While I understand your wanting to stand your ground, you can be doing it to your own detriment.

If you willingly take the item back and issue the refund, it won't count against you. If she opens a dispute and the decision is made that she sends the item back and you refund, although the end result is the same -- you receive returned item and buyer gets a refund -- the ding will remain on your account until it falls off after a year. It can lower your exposure, lower your seller dashboard and possibly even lead to your restrictions from selling.

Is it worth it? If you're a small seller, this one ding will hurt you!

Again, I'd recommend taking the return and sending the buyer a message along the lines of the following:

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you aren't thrilled with the authentic Burberry wallet. Although you are questioning authenticity, I stand by my contention that it's genuine, having been purchased from Bloomingdales.

Although I don't have a return policy, I don't want my buyers to feel that they must open disputes in order to return an item nor would I want you to feel "stuck" with an item you are unhappy with. Thus, as a goodwill gesture, I will accept a return of the authentic Burb wallet. Because the reason for a return isn't a result of my own error, your refund will be for the purchase price only. Shipping in both directions would be at your expense.

Again, I'm sorry you aren't thrilled and I welcome you to post your concerns on the "authenticate this Burberry" section of the purse forum for reassurance. But if you'd rather still return, please let me know ASAP.

sincerely
Seller

I wonder if you have the same buyer I had about 18 months ago. I sold a Burb item that I'd purchased from Filene's Basement (now out of business) and new it was genuine.

I knew the buyer was wrong and suspected buyer's remorse. (In my case, she told me she'd taken it to a Burb store and they said they "couldn't confirm authenticity" and she took that to mean it was questionable.)

I told the buyer to return it, I got it back, verified that it was my same item, paid $7 to A4U to confirm what I knew and then relisted it.

Your buyer either changed her mind, doesn't know the brand as well as she thinks she does or just doesn't want it. Take it back and relist.

ETA: Another suggestion if it's not a case of buyer's remorse and if she really believes it's fake is to direct her to the AT Burb thread here or to A4U. If it's just reassurance she's looking for, it might end well for you.

What is A4U?

While I understand your wanting to stand your ground, you can be doing it to your own detriment.

If you willingly take the item back and issue the refund, it won't count against you. If she opens a dispute and the decision is made that she sends the item back and you refund, although the end result is the same -- you receive returned item and buyer gets a refund -- the ding will remain on your account until it falls off after a year. It can lower your exposure, lower your seller dashboard and possibly even lead to your restrictions from selling.

Again, I'd recommend taking the return and sending the buyer a message along the lines of the following:

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you aren't thrilled with the authentic Burberry wallet. Although you are questioning authenticity, I stand by my contention that it's genuine, having been purchased from Bloomingdales.

Although I don't have a return policy, I don't want my buyers to feel that they must open disputes in order to return an item nor would I want you to feel "stuck" with an item you are unhappy with. Thus, as a goodwill gesture, I will accept a return of the authentic Burb wallet. Because the reason for a return isn't a result of my own error, your refund will be for the purchase price only. Shipping in both directions would be at your expense.

Again, I'm sorry you aren't thrilled and I welcome you to post your concerns on the "authenticate this Burberry" section of the purse forum for reassurance. But if you'd rather still return, please let me know ASAP.

sincerely
Seller

Last edited:

Dear buyer,

sincerely
Seller

I may calm down after tomorrow and I will probably use your letter if I decide to issue the refund. Still undecided though.

I may calm down after tomorrow and I will probably use your letter if I decide to issue the refund. Still undecided though.
That's a good idea. Never send a message when you're emotional.

If you do decide to refund, don't refund until you receive the item back and verify that it's the same item you sent.

Another thing to keep in mind is feedback. She can neg you if she's not happy with your responses. (I'm not saying that it's right, but it's a fact.)

I found the listing and with your relatively low feedback numbers, a neg is going to bring your percentage way down.

Seriously, it's not worth it!

That's a good idea. Never send a message when you're emotional.

If you do decide to refund, don't refund until you receive the item back and verify that it's the same item you sent.

Another thing to keep in mind is feedback. She can neg you if she's not happy with your responses. (I'm not saying that it's right, but it's a fact.)

I found the listing and with your relatively low feedback numbers, a neg is going to bring your percentage way down.

Seriously, it's not worth it!

We've been going back and forth all day and finally agreed to let eBay resolve it.

What do you think about her horse in the center argument? She admitted it was her fault for not noticing that and I tried to tell her that it not being in the center does not mean it's not real. As you could see on the posting I showed both sides of the wallet so it's very clear that it's not there. The bottom line is that she is asking for something that was never there.

I can find other sites to sell on and I was only selling about once a year. I've been a member since 2005 or 06 and I've only sold 30 items.