Ever feel bad about spending the $$?

IWantGucci

Mar 27, 2007
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone ever feels guilty for spending all that $$ on these beautiful purses!? I am dying to get a baby spy, but feel guilty about it cuz I should save my money. But life is short right? Enjoy it while you can....

I think it really just depends on how your financial situation is. I usually get my stuff at a discount some way or another, which makes me feel a little better about it. I am also preparing myself for a life of misery, to commence in about 4 months, so I am enjoying my freedom while I can, and buying handbags is part of that!

Alright, here are my life thoughts. I believe in the save some/spend some theory. I keep enough money in the bank and try to save for retirement or illness. At the same time, I refuse to deny myself everything.
My parents grew up in the depression era. I remember my mother receiving a pair of Christian Dior earrings as a Christmas present from my dad and her forcing him to return them due to them costing too much money. That put a damper on the gift giving. My father always said, I will do this and that when I retire, he saved and saved and then he died at 60 before retiring.
So I believe you should enjoy your life, buy yourself some special things, but not everything. One or two nice bags aren't going to hurt you. Moderation is the key.

Fendigal,
what a charming story about your mother. I agree on having some fun now rather than when we are 8 feet under ;) . Somehow I always find a way to rationalize having bags...its just my thing :graucho: . Love having to decide which of my dozens of bags to wear each day. Today it was the Camel large Spy, yesterday a Green Chloe Betty BAg, goodness knows what I'll pick next, the options are wonderful....and I am charmed by them all!!

But I will note that I own a business (ie there are funds available & the check book still has checks...) & as it is a successful business, there is no such thing as a Purse Ban or Budget, just my own perception of whether I want to spend big money on something, or put the dough in my savings for retirement (I sure hope retirement is soon :yahoo: !)

LIt -- what sort of torture are you going through in a few months BTW?? :confused1:

Fendigal,
what a charming story about your mother. I agree on having some fun now rather than when we are 8 feet under ;) . Somehow I always find a way to rationalize having bags...its just my thing :graucho: . Love having to decide which of my dozens of bags to wear each day. Today it was the Camel large Spy, yesterday a Green Chloe Betty BAg, goodness knows what I'll pick next, the options are wonderful....and I am charmed by them all!!

But I will note that I own a business (ie there are funds available & the check book still has checks...) & as it is a successful business, there is no such thing as a Purse Ban or Budget, just my own perception of whether I want to spend big money on something, or put the dough in my savings for retirement (I sure hope retirement is soon :yahoo: !)

LIt -- what sort of torture are you going through in a few months BTW?? :confused1:

I will be an actual, certified litigatrix working my butt off at a huge law firm--whoo!

I agree with everyone else. As long as you're not in debt. You also shouldn't be cutting back on other things like food and essential things. If you feel so bad about it that you can't enjoy it, you're better off without it. It's good to save but once in a while it is nice to get something for yourself. :smile:

After a near fatal car accident and a breast cancer scare I came to conclusion life is to short, so as long as you do not get into debt live each moment.

Wow, Saich.. Right on. :biguns:

As for me, I think it over meticulously, bugging the heck out of everybody I know before diving in. I hardly spend my money on anything else besides bags either. No one else gets my addiction, my bf often tells me to calm down :Push: Hey, when you're obsessed, you're obsessed! I save and save and save, and do whatever it takes to feed this addiction. :sweatdrop:

I will be an actual, certified litigatrix working my butt off at a huge law firm--whoo!
Wasn't a litigator but used to be in a similar position. Believe me you'll need your little luxury to keep you going!
My feeling is, if I make the money myself and I am not extreme about what I spend (moderation really is key), it's OK to reward myself a little for all my hard work.:smile:
Good luck with your future work...

Wasn't a litigator but used to be in a similar position. Believe me you'll need your little luxury to keep you going!
My feeling is, if I make the money myself and I am not extreme about what I spend (moderation really is key), it's OK to reward myself a little for all my hard work.:smile:
Good luck with your future work...

Thanks for your well-wishes. I am at least happy with the firm I am going to, and hopefully the work will be interesting (at least sometimes). I know I am going to need that luxury! Luckily I have a great husband and 2 sweet cats (ok, one sweet cat and one mean cat) to keep me going, too. I'm not ready to be an adult! Why do I have to work??

Sometimes, I have to stop and ask myself if the next purchase is really necessary and what my motivations are. It's easy to get caught up in the "Wanting the Next Bag". I do think that there should be a balance between what you save and what you spend.

If I feel guilty about the money, I ask my husband who is a PHH. And if he says it's ok, then I know it's really ok. If I feel guilty about EVEN asking him, then it's time for pause. Hope this makes sense. ;)

:heart: BL