Hunted down the Coach + Billy Reid $20,000 Alligator Bag

justdefend

Sep 10, 2013
Went to the Coach Men's FP store this week and came across the Coach + Billy Reid Warrior Tote in Alligator. The SA told me that only six were made and that it takes two alligators to make one bag. Up close it does look pretty amazing in olive and is unexpectedly soft. MSRP = $20,000! I jokingly asked how much it would be the Facebook event and the SA said $15,000.

Did not tell the SA that I purchase the FP stuff at 70% via Factory sales ;)

Attachments

• Coach Alligator.jpg
    Coach Alligator.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,567
You didn't buy it? I'm shocked! Where did you see it? If there are only 6, I wonder where they all are, if some of them are out of the country.

I remember once at Prada, they told me they only made two of each color per country of an ostrich bag. When I went back 6 months later and asked about a certain color they had had before, they went to their store across town and got it. It made me wonder if there were really only 2.

You didn't buy it? I'm shocked! Where did you see it? If there are only 6, I wonder where they all are, if some of them are out of the country.

I remember once at Prada, they told me they only made two of each color per country of an ostrich bag. When I went back 6 months later and asked about a certain color they had had before, they went to their store across town and got it. It made me wonder if there were really only 2.

It was at the Coach Men's store the Forum Shops. I did ask if it was six nationwide or globally and he said six...period. I don't think the SA knew for sure, but maybe that's what they're told or maybe it's a sales tactic. But either way I don't think they expect to sell that many. It would be funny if it wound up in the clearance section at some point.

Last edited:
I've never seen really alligator. Does it feel or look much different from textured leather?

It does seem rather ridiculous to pay twice as much for the Billy Reid name.

I've never seen really alligator. Does it feel or look much different from textured leather?

It does feel different. Rather than an imprint on the leather you can feel actual individual scales, though it is completely treated so it's smooth, soft, and bend-able.

I love Coach but all I can say is that if I was paying that much for a crocodile bag it better have Hermes printed on it somewhere!

Yes, if I was ever to pay that much it would have to be made in Italy or France to command that premium.

Who is Billy Reid?

He's a Louisiana-based menswear designer. His clothes are have a casual feel but are well-tailored. I do like the other Warrior Totes in the collection. They have a lining that resembles the inside of his menswear dinner jackets.