Bottega's Unique Weaving and Treatment Processes

Rafialana - warp-knitted nappa, wool and rafia thread comprise this new, textured treatment for F/W 2013. So far seen on a fairly big clutch with burnt copper intrecciato hardware accents.

Attachments

• Rafialana.jpg
    Rafialana.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1,490
Reactions: jbags07
Here's the clutch with the Rafialana treatment

2081808d1361719464-official-bottega-veneta-early-fall-fall-winter-2013-10.jpg.r.nocrop.w2400.h2400.jpg

Cabat Weaving
It is handmade from 70 fettuccine-thin strips of leather, which are intricately woven through tiny slots. This creates a plaited effect, inside and out, which doubles the bag's strength. The technique was invented by Bottega Veneta in the Sixties, when the company was established in Vicenza. Bottega means "a place of work for artisans" and Veneta refers to the Veneto region of eastern Italy, where they are based. The intensive labour that is involved in making each bag - two days' handiwork by two people - restricts production to a maximum of 200 of each style, each season, for worldwide distribution

attachment.php

attachment.php
...love that! wow, thank you for sharing this pic. who knew..

Nappa Lana - each fettuce is made of tubular (chunky?) strands of wool wrapped in randomly perforated lambskin before executed in the double-faced Cabat weave. This treatment is exclusively done on a Cabat for F/W 2013 and will come in Nero, Ebano and Alabastre (as photographed)

Attachments

• NappaLana.jpg
    NappaLana.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 1,245
Tricot Nappa Rafia - a special treatment done for F/W 2013 on select seasonal bags and the special Veneta. Rafia fibers/threads are embroidered on top of the standard intrecciato weave using the tricot stitch to create a rich, textured monochrome effect.

This is not to be confused with Tricot Nappa Lana which looks similar in style and method but uses black wool threads on top of Ebano nappa leather. To my knowledge, TNR only comes in Nero while TNL in Ebano.

Attachments

• NapLana.jpg
    NapLana.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,147
I was able to see the rafia bag at the Scottsdale store this past weekend. The SA and I both noticed how corse the stitching felt under your arm. This may be something that would lessen over time, but you could not wear silk as it would easily snag.

I was able to see the rafia bag at the Scottsdale store this past weekend. The SA and I both noticed how corse the stitching felt under your arm. This may be something that would lessen over time, but you could not wear silk as it would easily snag.

Interesting observation. I was mostly keen on the Veneta and I could definitely see this happening. This is probably why all other bags & clutches done with this treatment are mostly hand-held styles and not shoulder bags. Makes complete sense. Rafia is a plant-based material derived from a species of palm trees hence the texture.

Similarly, the TNL (wool version on Ebano) will be kinder to silk (no snagging) but I'm now thinking that the potential issue with that is it might leave some tiny fibers or lint on your wardrobe depending on how sensitive the material is. Everyday materials like cotton, knits, wool, etc. will be fine.

As an overall treatment, I personally prefer TNR to TNL.

Here is another example of the 'fuzzy' treatment; the Nero Fuzzy Napa Cross Body Bag from early Fall/Winter 2011 (bottom panel and front, shown with the padded strap).

Attachments

• 2014 02 09_0789_600x400.JPG
    2014 02 09_0789_600x400.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 912
  • 2014 02 09_0777_600x400.JPG
    2014 02 09_0777_600x400.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 940