SO CONFUSED: Madison Avenue Couture & Gilt

baybay0359

O.G.
Mar 26, 2010
This is a rant. Beware if you do not want to read a rant.

So today I saw that there was a Madison Avenue Couture "vintage" Louis vuitton sale.

In my opinion, "vintage" is generally a term I use when I buy a bag or clothing that can no longer be purchased. As such, it has special value. For example, a vintage LV item would be the Stephen Sprouse speedy.

In contrast, "pre=loved" to me is a bag or clothing item that you may still purchase in the store, brand new, today, but would prefer to not pay full price. ie. a speedy.

So, for the record Madison Avenue and GILT...These bags are NOT vintage!

Secondly, when I went into the sale they were selling used bags for ALMOST the exact same price as in the store.

My question is: WHY ARE PEOPLE BUYING THESE BAGS?

I agree with you on the use of the word vintage! :smile:

Also, I do think some places do charge pretty darn close to retail. Not sure who is paying that much. I'd rather pay a little more and get a new bag :smile:

Me personally, I buy vintage because I fell in love with a past style that isnt available AND I usually paying half of the retail amount so it is win-win. I am not sure why anyone would pay new prices unless it was a HG bag (Stephen Sprouse) that was in mint condition and LE.

They're having another sale today. (http://www.gilt.com/sale/women/vintage-louis-vuitton-madison-avenue-cou)

I'm also very confused... So much of their inventory is brand new items and listed for the same price as they are in the LV store! Why wouldn't one just go to the LV store? I think sometimes people just trust that Gilt has everything cheaper and don't do any research to know that they're actually being a little ripped off by marketing.

And yea... that's nothing to do with "Vintage"

They're having another sale today. (http://www.gilt.com/sale/women/vintage-louis-vuitton-madison-avenue-cou)

I'm also very confused... So much of their inventory is brand new items and listed for the same price as they are in the LV store! Why wouldn't one just go to the LV store? I think sometimes people just trust that Gilt has everything cheaper and don't do any research to know that they're actually being a little ripped off by marketing.

And yea... that's nothing to do with "Vintage"
You're not kidding. Just checked out the link and same prices as brand new. Personally if I'm going to pay the same price as the store than I might as well get it there.

I just looked at some of the items and all I can say is......Wow! The Ikat NF GM is $2100 but I only paid $1430 at my LV store. Do your research people before adding to the cart. I understand the Ikat NF GM is rare to find now but there are a few out there.